Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Active Sponsors?

More
08 Mar 2013 12:23 - 08 Mar 2013 12:25 #1 by alan61979 (Alan)
I'm really struggling to find a CO2 cylinder in Dublin.

I've been to a couple of non fish shops to enquire, Doyle and Doyle out of stock, BOC aren't suitable. A couple of other places haven't got back to me.

Anyway, I've emailed a couple of sponsors from links in the sponsor section, but as of yet I've had no reply.

Are all the sponsors listed still open for business?

Here I am with cash ready to hand over and no one seems to want it.

I'm doing my best to avoid paying the crazy price to the one aquarium shop that I know has a suitable CO2 cylinder in stock.

(move to another section if needed)
Last edit: 08 Mar 2013 12:25 by alan61979 (Alan).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2013 12:28 #2 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
What sort of CO2 cylinder is it?
Could it be filled at a fire extinguisher company?

It's costs me €15 for a 5kg refill in AJ Edge Ltd in Bray

Regards
Darragh

More
08 Mar 2013 12:34 - 08 Mar 2013 12:36 #3 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Active Sponsors?
We try to keep the Sponsors' Section up-to-date as best as we're able, but unless we get notification that any have closed there is no real way of us knowing.
The links etc are as have been supplied to us and to the best of our knowledge they are up-to-date, but if they change anything without notifying us we're really as much in the dark as you are yourself.
Maybe calling them on the telephone might be an option?
I assume you have tried Seahorse Aquariums or Aquaworld? I think they both stock them - another worth checking would be Artane Aquatics, other than that I was going to suggest D&D but you've already tried those.
Good luck with your quest.

John
I see now that Darragh has given you an alternative option - thanks Darragh.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2013 12:36 by JohnH (John). Reason: addition

More
08 Mar 2013 13:05 #4 by alan61979 (Alan)
Replied by alan61979 (Alan) on topic Active Sponsors?

What sort of CO2 cylinder is it?

I'm trying to buy a cylinder, but I don't want to use a fire extinguisher.

I assume you have tried Seahorse Aquariums or Aquaworld? I think they both stock them - another worth checking would be Artane Aquatics

Without publicially criticising a shops prices, one of the above is rather expensive, one of the above didn't reply to me and I haven't tried the other!

There is also another sponsor who hasn't replied. Would you like the names via PM. No point keeping a sponsor page open if it's not operating anymore. Or maybe you might know something I don't.

More
08 Mar 2013 14:30 #5 by JohnH (John)
I would agree that it can be (more that a little) frustrating when Sponsors don't reply, but in itself, that's not really enough of a reason not to keep them on.

I think we're on top of which are still open - and which are no longer 'with us' but I would agree that there are several 'spurious' ones which require further investigation and our intention is to contact each and every one in the coming days to ascertain which of them still wish to retain Sponsorship status and at the same time I will stress that replying to emails and PMs is important and should not be 'overlooked'.

Thanks for raising this matter.

John

ITFS member.

More
08 Mar 2013 17:35 #6 by alan61979 (Alan)
Coincidently, one of the non reply sponsors replied this afternoon, after a week!

Slightly off topic, not sure if it's a workable idea. In the sporsor section is it possible for the sponsors page that has been most recently posted on to be at the top of the list. Like the way a thread gets bumped to the top when it's posted on. It might encourage a bit more activity for a sponsor to keep their page near the top.

Just looking at the list at the moment and there's some sponsors who haven't posted in over a year, but their listed near the top, while some active pages are way down the list. If they don't post, let them fall to the bottom of the page.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say!

More
08 Mar 2013 18:31 #7 by JohnH (John)
Understood fully.
However, this would have to be done manually as there is no provision for it happening automatically.
But - as they say in the best programmes - watch this space.

Did you get your Co2?

John

ITFS member.

More
08 Mar 2013 18:34 #8 by alan61979 (Alan)
Don't actually have it, but will buy the cylinder from the sponsor that replied today.

Just need to check one final detail with them.

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds