Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

What did you do with your tank today?

More
20 Apr 2013 16:15 #1 by JSleator (Jason Sleator)
There is a motorcycle forum I am on and the most popular thread is "what did you do to your bike today" ....so thinking as a sub section under photos or a section on its own "what did you do with your tank today" or "what did you add to your tank today" where people can show their new fish, let's face it it is a pretty exciting part of fish keeping getting new stock and equipment...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2013 16:32 #2 by wolfie (Anthony)
good idea and should end up nice and pic heavy as well

More
20 Apr 2013 18:29 #3 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I suppose if we had a merc owners forum, then the replies would be "drive it", "take it to a service", "have it washed"...........whereas a boy-racer car forum would probably have a lot more different activities.

The picture that jumps into my head on the motorcycle forum is one of "messed around with the carb today even though there was nothing wrong with it"....followed by "today I repaired the carb I broke yesterday" :)

(that being based on knowing many motorcylcist who tinker with their machine....for no reason ;))

Anyway, I recon a thread here (not necessarily a section) for people to just let-out what they did today would be good: but that is free for any member to start and get a bit of social chat going (I like social chat mixed with seriosu fish keeping)

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
04 Jul 2013 22:59 #4 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Be careful Ian, any talk of the taboo word (social) will have this thread consigned to the basement of the forum. Social and rubbish here we come.

Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

More
05 Jul 2013 08:32 #5 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)

I suppose if we had a merc owners forum, then the replies would be "drive it", "take it to a service", "have it washed"...........whereas a boy-racer car forum would probably have a lot more different activities.

The picture that jumps into my head on the motorcycle forum is one of "messed around with the carb today even though there was nothing wrong with it"....followed by "today I repaired the carb I broke yesterday" :)

(that being based on knowing many motorcylcist who tinker with their machine....for no reason ;))

Anyway, I recon a thread here (not necessarily a section) for people to just let-out what they did today would be good: but that is free for any member to start and get a bit of social chat going (I like social chat mixed with seriosu fish keeping)

ian

this is a great idea almost every site im on (car related) has a thread like this and they work great

the only thing is that word highlighted above, i hate it cant stand it, i love my modified cars i drive a Subaru Impreza and i am also apart of a good few clubs and we find that car enthusiasts is a much better way to describe us :)

More
05 Jul 2013 10:57 #6 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Ah Danny....... I used to get upset at that word too, however I've recently realised its just a term of endearment from the senior (haha) generation towards ourselves who take pride in the appearance of our cars and prefer them to be slightly above the "functional" standard.

Its like the lads that are into pigeons and bird keeping, they see us (fish keepers) as keeping animals of little or no use, personally I wouldn't have a bird (wife excluded) around the place if you paid me....... horrible noisy dirty dusty yokes they are!

Anyway as far as I can see, 1 thread for tropical, 1 for cold water, 1 for marine and brackish would do the trick nicely! Not much point in having an entire section of different threads with very little activity in each thread imo

More
05 Jul 2013 11:05 #7 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
ah it's Friday and im in work here until god knows when looking at the good weather out side, so im just blowing off some steam lol

More
05 Jul 2013 12:50 #8 by davey_c (dave clarke)

ian

Now ian, on a bike forum you would be crucified for mentioning a car (cage as referred to by them) :lol: ... got a few warnings myself :crazy:

As for car sites (im on a few irish and international myself too) sure the irish put up a build thread thread to stick a few new gaiters in their car, change to alloys or to sticker bomb :lol: ... not the place to get me started on some banter :)

I think it would be beneficial to the site while being a fresh source of info and ideas for the less knowledgeable on the site also... they can compare what they do to what others are doing daily :)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
05 Jul 2013 20:38 #9 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
not a bad idea as long as it dosent turn into "fed the fish today"

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
06 Jul 2013 08:02 #10 by Mike53 (Michael)
Great idea !

More
19 Jul 2013 21:10 #11 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
Deadly Idea - so who's going to go first?

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds