Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

website very slow?

More
25 Jun 2014 20:19 #31 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Yea it is a little faster today alright. Hope it stays this way. It would be a shame for forums to start losing people. A lot of the enjoyment of keeping fish is chatting to other fish keepers. There are enough people on the forum every day that im sure a couple of quid wouldn't break the bank if thats whats needed

Eric

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2014 21:15 #32 by dubdero (derek kearns)
Better than yesterday but still slow.checked router every other site much quicker.but in fairness there doing there best.these things happen :cheer:

More
23 Jul 2014 11:04 #33 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
Getting really bad over the last 2 days.
Taking about 2 min to load a page
Pages are timing out - just get a blank white page
Pages get 404 not found

Making it nearly impossible to read topic and reply (i can only hope this reply works and doesn't time out :( )

More
23 Jul 2014 11:23 #34 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic website very slow?
Yes, I'm loath to have to agree with you.
Unfortunately the remedy is beyond my Administrative capability, but it has been reported and hopefully will be remedied soon.
In the meantime, please try to remain patient the situation is equally bad for all of us so let's hope it can be fixed simply and quickly.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
23 Jul 2014 12:43 #35 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Only seeing this thread now and although its been slow the past while for me as in I could make a cuppa between clicking and opening times but I have chose not to frequent the site near as much as a result... I feel thats not the answer though because there may be advice n that that could be needed so I've painstakingly put up with it lately...
I think to tell member they can either put up with it or move on is quite disrespectful towards darragh and his efforts to put this forum right as was my choice not to frequent the forum!! The ones without a post count should be simply deleted as you don't need a profile to view the sites content but thats my opinion. I think the besf we can do is assume everyone has good intentions on working with darragh here because if we all took the advice we were given and left then what would that say for the community? ?
Anyways I'll take a persons posts as they were having a bad day and not disrespecting the community ;)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
23 Jul 2014 12:51 #36 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
+1 on that. There's no point in having a wonderful website that no one can access. The fact people stick with the site even when it's running slowly and try and flag any issues just goes to show how much members actually give a damn :cool:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
23 Jul 2014 17:26 #37 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic website very slow?

i agree this website is tortuously slow i use it less and less because of it...
cheers
ian

No real loss if your not on ian,
On the upside it's not that bad now :)

Ian who?

Jeez this is torture, my Hair grows faster than this!!!!

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
23 Jul 2014 17:41 #38 by JohnH (John)
Kevin,
The clue is in the Quote...

John
ps, what hair? :evil:

ITFS member.

More
23 Jul 2014 17:47 #39 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic website very slow?

Kevin,
The clue is in the Quote...

John
ps, what hair? :evil:

Sorry, left out an "s" there :o)

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
26 Jul 2014 19:24 #40 by blade (Michael G)
Its gone from bad to worse , ever since the update i noticed it . Hope its sorted soon :hammer:

More
28 Jul 2014 12:42 #41 by JohnH (John)
Our very good friend Darragh has done some 'tinkering' to the workings of the Forum this morning and now it is back to running really well again.
So, it's a definite case of "Thank You" going out to him for making everything right again.
Thanks, Darragh.

John (not forgetting all the members as well).

ITFS member.

More
28 Jul 2014 13:05 #42 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
+1 on that. Thanks Darragh. The site is clipping along now :cool:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
28 Jul 2014 13:10 #43 by blade (Michael G)
Its a lot better now , Thanks Darragh

More
28 Jul 2014 13:30 #44 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
thanks darragh,

next you'll need to fix the email links and link for the main page :)
looks like the base URL has changed :)

More
28 Jul 2014 15:39 #45 by paulv (paul vickers)

Its a lot better now , Thanks Darragh

+1

More
28 Jul 2014 15:44 #46 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
:cool:

Fair Play!

More
28 Jul 2014 20:10 #47 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Thanks darragh, it s working great ! :cool:

Anthony

More
28 Jul 2014 22:32 #48 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
it's flying and really enjoyable!
BIG THANKS

More
29 Jul 2014 10:48 #49 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
It's great to be back thanks darragh

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
29 Jul 2014 14:02 #50 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)

It's great to be back thanks darragh

+1. It's flying along now, fair play Darragh. Thanks so much. Its human nature I guess and I had pretty much stopped logging on as it had become so slow and tedious. Thanks for all of your efforts.....there will be lots of happy forum members and that's for sure....

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds