Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

LFS review

More
28 Aug 2006 09:41 #1 by Pablo (Pablo -)
LFS review was created by Pablo (Pablo -)
We should have a LFS review area.. A place where people can give their opinion about the different Shops and maybe give some constructive advise or complement a shop for the service, etc!

Pablo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2006 10:51 #2 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Replied by KenS (Ken Simpson) on topic Re: LFS review
Good idea. There a few bad ones out there that should be avoided. The differences in prices between the different shops is also considerable for many items. I would suggest the following ratings:

Live stock: 1-10
Equipment stock: 1-10
Advice: 1-10
Value: 1-10

Regards,

Ken.

More
28 Aug 2006 13:54 #3 by zebadee (zebadee)
Replied by zebadee (zebadee) on topic Re: LFS review
It is a good idea however I would suggest that there is a review of the article before it is printed to avoid 'slander', advertising etc. With a relatively small population of LFS in the country a few poor reviews could land a lfs in a bit of financial difficulty and could land the forum with 'legal pushback'.

I have seen members extolling the virtues of one shop over another on this site (I'm equally guilty of it :roll: ) only to have completely the opposite experience myself. One LFS was touted here as being brilliant and yet IME it was very poor, poor knowledge levels (tried to sell me an auratus for a community tank), expensive (66 eur for a 1.5 inch Calvus) and had high mortality rates in their tanks (the victims were floating about and were obviously long dead). I have kept my negative opinions to myself but I will highlight good service though so perhaps it could work.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Aug 2006 04:04 #4 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: LFS review
Doing it on a ratings scale sounds like a good idea. Rash comments could get us in trouble. I don`t have a problem doing it this way but it will have to be agreed with the other Administrators before it`s allowed.
Personally I thinkits a good idea, you can always add a comment about a staff member who helped you in some way or had expert knowledge on a certain fish or group of fish.
Don`t forget this is a personal view and may or may not be the view of everybody else.

Ps. Nobody is allowed to start a ratings post until the other Admins give their backing.

Thanking you..Anto :lol:

More
29 Aug 2006 04:19 #5 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Some people on this site work in the shops, there would obviously be some bias opinions.

Can't say i agree with the suggestion.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Feb 2007 03:33 #6 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Rate it
A good idea. I spent 2 hours traveling to a shop yesterday only to find it the most disgusting shop I have enterd over the past 40 years
The Tanks were full of detrius & debri the glass coverd in mulm the stock neglected. There were Discus in temps of 74 in an extreemly poor condition 3 inch Blue Diamonds at 75 euro each. Staff non existent !!!!
The problem is I bet a few people on this site use it
If they have nothing to be ashamed of they would welcome the idea of the rating scale.
And if they use this site for promotion then perhaps we should look again.

• mattlemon (mattlemon)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Feb 2007 10:26 #7 by mattlemon (mattlemon)
Replied by mattlemon (mattlemon) on topic Re: LFS review
Yup, I think it's a good idea. The people that work in shops are probably known and so reviews can be deleted. The more reviews a store gets, the more useful and accurate those reviews are.

Matt

More
07 Feb 2007 12:14 #8 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Replied by Sean (Fr. Jack) on topic Re: LFS review
Don t you think its possible the LFS workers would set up hotmail accounts and rejoin under trojan horse 1, 2,3 etc to say good things about them selves etc.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Feb 2007 13:00 #9 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic lfs
I think this is a fact of life.
How do we know the users of this site are who they say they are????????
I think that once word gets out they will clean up there act.

All we are doing is posting a list and this is a personal opinion.
It is not slanderous or are we open to libel.

A member is stating in his or her opinion the overall impression- service -knowledge-stocking & general appearance of stock- if quarantined etc.
I have no problem and I'm sure there must be a few more.
Perhaps a poll is in order?????????

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Feb 2007 16:35 #10 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: LFS review
Lads/Ladies.
I am locking this post because another similar post got way out of hand before. Not something I like doing but I am afraid the shit will start again.

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds