Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

The 'Aquarium Conservation Program';

• Cichlidenwelt (Cichlidenwelt)
  • Cichlidenwelt (Cichlidenwelt)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Feb 2008 07:58 - 01 Feb 2008 09:05 #1 by Cichlidenwelt (Cichlidenwelt)
The 'Aquarium Conservation Program'; was created by Cichlidenwelt (Cichlidenwelt)
The ACP starts

All good things are three, says an old word. So now for the ACP. About two years ago the idea was born and the first presentation of the ACP occured in the web. An invitation to aquarists was posted, first discussion of a handful of enthusiasts started. on the importance of such a program, After a while it clearly came out hat there was no doubt of the participants but it was not possible to attract new participants, to get additional ideas and impulses. A switch to another website took place (austria-aqua.net), where a fish-database was presented and in use for the first time. This brought a little growth in participants, of course under great influence of the fact hat a breeding and conservation program for rheophilc cichlids was started under support of cichlidenwelt.de.
But now, it´s already a third start in the way that was the big wish from the beginning on - to have a website of it´s own. So - this is not a last painful try to get more acceptance, this now is a result of the tries, ideas, toughts and suggestions of the former years. The ACP has gone to be adult in cause of consequent evolution - in formal aspects as well as in contents. This surely is not too early, hopefully not too late. All which are knowing the ACP yet are having greatest commitment that a program like this is more than necessary, regarding the current situation in the hobby.

Therefore an invitation to all the ones which had no contact to the ACP until now: Look in for what we are doing this, look in to see our intentions. An join. Work with. We have an important target. It is our hobby.

Anton Lamboj

You can reach the ACP at acp-database.com
Last edit: 01 Feb 2008 09:05 by (). Reason: Changed title from The "Aquarium Conservation Program"; to The 'Aquarium Conservation Program';

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Feb 2008 14:39 #2 by Cichlidenwelt (Cichlidenwelt)
Replied by Cichlidenwelt (Cichlidenwelt) on topic Re:The 'Aquarium Conservation Program';
Hello

did anyone register already to Antons side?

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Feb 2008 15:50 #3 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re:The 'Aquarium Conservation Program';
Hi,

While I realise you are interested in conserving fish and improving the hobby it seems a bit rude to just drop in to refer forum members to your links.Why not get involved in some threads and spend some time and let us get to know you.After a link is just a link,give us an incentive.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Feb 2008 08:47 #4 by Cichlidenwelt (Cichlidenwelt)
Replied by Cichlidenwelt (Cichlidenwelt) on topic Re:The 'Aquarium Conservation Program';
Hello ChrisM,

sorry and I will try to be a part here as good as I can.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Feb 2008 10:14 #5 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re:The 'Aquarium Conservation Program';
Thats great news.It would be great to hear about your tanks and what fish you keep.Also what are the standards of fish shop like where you live?How good is the selection of fish?

Thanks.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Feb 2008 16:41 #6 by Cichlidenwelt (Cichlidenwelt)
Hello Chris,

I keep rheophil Cichlids of westafrica.

Ancistrus sp.
Anomalochromis thomasi
Astatoreochromis alluaudi
Benitochromis nigrodorsalis
Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps
Helostoma temminckii
Hemichromis bimaculatus
Hemichromis sp. Bangui
L-Welse L 134
Lamprologus congoensis
Lamprologus mocquardi
Lipochromis -Matumbi Hunter-
Orthochromis stormsi
Ptyochromis sauvagei
Steatocranus casuarius
Steatocranus gibbiceps
Steatocranus irvinei
Steatocranus sp red eyes
Steatocranus bleheri
Steatocranus sp. Squarehead
Steatocranus tinanti
Sturisoma aureum
Tilapia sparrmanii

Depanding where you go you will find stores with a good selection of fishes, but often we exchange cichlids with other breeders.

Hope the Picture of one of my 28 tanks will be added
Attachments:

More
16 Feb 2008 13:42 #7 by JohnH (John)
Oliver,
I appreciate your concern about species diminishing in the wild and the efforts being taken to attempt to conserve them by dedicated Cichlid keepers - it is most commendable.

However, here in Ireland we can only look on and wish you well.

Depanding where you go you will find stores with a good selection of fishes, but often we exchange cichlids with other breeders.

We cannot, as individual hobbyists, offer you fish nor neither can we hope to be able to request fish from the Programme - much as many of us would love to - we are on an island here and are totally dependent on unco-operative Airlines for import of fish.
I suppose transfer by ferry would always be an option, in the warmer months of course, but otherwise it really is a 'No-No'.

Fish keeping is most definitely on the increase here and many are changing their fish to African Cichlids, especially Malawis, so if the exchange of Fish offspring could ever become a reality to try to ensure the existence of endangered species that would be very good for all concerned. When I lived in England before emigrating to here I kept and bred Lake Victoria Cichlids, the Programme, if it existed then, would have been really good to help sustain these (largely) pretty and endangered fish.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds