Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Fish Profiles

More
04 Mar 2008 09:34 #1 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
I'd like to see something on the site (Similar to the Aquahobby site) that gives a profile of different fish given by people who have kept them.

People give their good/bad experiences with the fish, conditions they kept them in etc etc

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2008 09:39 #2 by karlo (karlo kennedy)
i think that is a great idea

More
04 Mar 2008 09:59 #3 by suckers (matt lait)
very good idea.
i know ill be using any info to get my latest project ( excel/access cross) up and running.
any ideas lads (m/f) for a volumn converter ( simple program) that i can copy to add to excel project??or can i just copy one from a competitors site!!!!:dry:

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Mar 2008 11:07 #4 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re:Fish Profiles
This was suggested about 18 months ago by myself and Anto but it never happened.

The LFKS are currently compiling an extensive list with excellent photographs of members fish.Anyone who feels they would like to submit an entry mail me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and I can forward on the template.

Also I am currently trying to gain copyright access (just waiting for the go ahead really) to an amazing library of photos so we hope to have a visual feast.

More
04 Mar 2008 15:18 #5 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
If there is enough interest, I'll put something together for people to submit profiles for fish.
But we need people to actually put profiles up, so it will come down to users to maintain it

More
05 Mar 2008 17:52 #6 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
I have install a wiki which people can use to put up fish profiles, I will create wiki templates so it is easy to file out with a profile

More
12 Mar 2008 13:27 #7 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Fair play for adding the WIKI on the site.

Any chance of a Dummies guide to creating a New Fish Profile on the WIKI bit of the site.

I've pressed the edit, copied and pasted but i'm not sure if this is going to save a new profile or edit the template etc

Also how do you name your profile?

Cheers,

Peter

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
12 Mar 2008 13:43 - 12 Mar 2008 13:43 #8 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Hey Peter,

If you want I could put up a brief \"how to\" guide on how to add to the WIKI section. Its farily straight forward and only requires a small amount of \"Html\" esque codeing to get it to work. If you like you can always send me the profile information you have written in a PM and I can post it for you?

Regards

Denis

I added a profile in the African cichlid- Malawai section already to see if I could do it myself and it seems to work well.

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!
Last edit: 12 Mar 2008 13:43 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan).

More
12 Mar 2008 17:59 #9 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Dennis

Would you mind telling us how you got that for, I tired a few times and thought installation was not finished, I can not see where you go to add a new fish.

Cheers

More
12 Mar 2008 19:27 #10 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Hey Daragh,

The best way to briefly explain how to add to the WIKI section is that it is like a door system. In order for you to make an \"entry\" you firstly need to create a door. The codeing to do this is very similar to that used to embed images in the main section of the forum.

Here is an example on how to add a profile for an Otocinclus catfish.

1. Go to the WIKI section and select \"Fish Species List\" on the right hand side. When clicked you will see the following list.

Fish Template)

Tetras

Discus

Angelfish

African Cichlids

Livebearers

Because the catfish subheading has not yet been created, this must be done first.

>Click Edit on the above tabs

The list above will appear again but will have .... around them, this means that they are links \"doors\" to the sub-sub heading behind them. So to create the catfish subheading you type in;

>Catfish
> Then click save at the bottom of the page. This will have created the \"catfish\" Profile area.

The next step is to add the door for the selected profile.

>Go to the Wiki Section

>Click on Fish Species List

>Click on Catfish

>Click \"edit\" on the above tabs.

>Type in \"Otocinclus catfish\"

>Click Save

This has now created the full path to the profile of Otocinclus catfish, the Template in the first sub heading of the \"Fish Species List\" can be added.

>Go to the WIKI section

>Click on Fish Species List

>Click on Fish Template

>Click Edit on the top of the page (this will allow you to select all the \"bold and Italic\" formatting of the Fish Template. Select the Fish Template and copy.

> Do not select \"save\" when leaving the Fish Template, instead use your Internet browser to go back to the fish profiles.

Now its time to add the entry

Go the the \"Otocinclus catfish\" catfish profile and select edit

> Then past the template onto the blank page and press save.

This will not have set it up for everyone to edit.

I hope this sort of explains.

If you need any help just send me a PM, that goes for other users too.

Regards

Denis

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds