Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Well, I have errors.

• ANDKRY (ANDKRY)
  • ANDKRY (ANDKRY)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Jul 2008 23:15 #1 by ANDKRY (ANDKRY)
Well, I have errors. was created by ANDKRY (ANDKRY)
Hi all,
Not complaining but still having errors once in the site:

Line: 65
Char: 1
Error: Object doesn't support this property or method
Code: 0
URL: www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/o...t/do,reply/catid,29/

Don't know if it is sufficient - using VISTA and IE7.
Maybe should change something in the configuration - please, advise.

Thanks,
Andrei.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Jul 2008 00:33 #2 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:Well, I have errors.
Hi Andrei,

I am not sure what could be wrong. This link works ok for me and I, too, use Vista and IE7.

I am not trying to be smart ... Have you tried to reboot your machine and access this url again ?

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks and regards,
Valerie

More
19 Jul 2008 10:08 #3 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
works fine for me here with XP and IE 7 and on another machine with Vista and IE&.

Can you get a screen print of the error?

It this the only time you get an error?

Have you seen similar errors on other sites?

More
19 Jul 2008 12:12 #4 by JohnH (John)
A very interesting thread...
For weeks now I get a little exclamation mark in a yellow triangle just above the 'start' - often it also tells me 'error on page' but it does still open the page OK (well, I think it does - wouldn't really know if it is incomplete as that's the best I ever get).

This is interesting because for a couple of days now I cannot read Hotmail emails (not so 'hot' now!!!).
I did a bit of 'goggling' and find that Microsoft no longer supports older IEs - mine must be IE6, or even older!!! - and that if I download a newer version all will be well again, I was therefore wondering if IE7 which Andrei has is also now unsupported - but as both Valerie and Daragh have that then this cannot be so!!! - Back to the drawing board...still think this might be the cause of my errors though.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• ANDKRY (ANDKRY)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Jul 2008 23:52 - 19 Jul 2008 23:56 #5 by ANDKRY (ANDKRY)
Replied by ANDKRY (ANDKRY) on topic Re:Well, I have errors.
Hi Daragh,
I tried my best - hope they are readable - please, see attached didn't work - will try to send to PM.
Every time I enter the site it gives the yellow triangle. Must say that it doesn't cause big problems. But thought it was worth to mention it. I googled the error and this is one of the answers:
\"
I had the same problem:

if (document.getElementById(’fromDate’).value!=”) {
fromDate = document.getElementById(’fromDate’).value;

The error is generated on the second row in the example above. Changing the fromDate var to something else get rid of the error.
Thanks for the help!
\"
Hope it helps.
Sorry for the hassle caused.
Best regards,
Andrei.
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Jul 2008 23:56 by ANDKRY (ANDKRY).

• ANDKRY (ANDKRY)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Jul 2008 00:01 #6 by ANDKRY (ANDKRY)
The screenshot.

Attachment Doc1.doc not found

Attachments:

More
20 Jul 2008 00:38 - 20 Jul 2008 00:39 #7 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
When I click that link it asks me what I want to conert the file from. Maybe you could email it to me.

daraghishome1[at]eircom.net

Daragh
Last edit: 20 Jul 2008 00:39 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens).

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Jul 2008 10:24 - 20 Jul 2008 10:28 #8 by Valerie (Valerie)
Hi Andrei,
I really don't know why you are getting this error. Maybe Darragh might be able to help too. I have sent him a message.

Hi Daragh,
The document Andrei had uploaded was a Word 2007 document. I have saved it under a previous Word version :

Attachment Doc1-958de28453591897a0ee9f53863c2217.doc not found

Valerie
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Jul 2008 10:28 by Valerie (Valerie).

More
20 Jul 2008 13:16 #9 by CJackson (Frank Farrell)
Andrei,

It sounds like IE7 is picking up on some script error that probably doesn't effect your ability to browse the site in any significant way. It may not even be a script error, but something that IE7 doesn't like (it's a bit picky).

You could try one of two things to avoid it:

Try a different browser. Download either Firefox or Opera (both free and both better than IE7 in my humble opinion). I use Firefox to view the site (but I'm using a mac and the site doesn't display well on Safari).

If you prefer to keep using IE7 you can open it and go to the Tools menu > Internet Options > Advanced tab > and uncheck the box for Display a Notification for Every Script Error. That should sort out your problems.

If after doing either/both of these you find you still have problems, let the admins know as it might be a stray line of code somewhere.

Hope that helps.

• ANDKRY (ANDKRY)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Jul 2008 17:08 #10 by ANDKRY (ANDKRY)
Hi all,
Really tried everything - debugging on/off, notification on/off in advanced options.
But the error is still there.
I tried Safari and it works ok.
Haven't tried Mozilla yet.
Didn't want to cause any problem.
The difference in the behavior - if I am logging on from the first page - it saved my detailes - just clicking at the box and my name and passwords are there.
If I am going, for instance, to the forum page from the main and click on to login afterwards, the web page asks to enter the name/password as though I am for the first time on this site.
This is the only difference that I noticed from the normal behaviour.
In any case, I am sorry - didn't want to cause too much hassle - that's why I asked about the configuration.
Best regards,
Andrei.

More
20 Jul 2008 17:36 #11 by CJackson (Frank Farrell)
Damn, I was hoping that would sort it.

No need to apologise Andrei. I'm sure the admins are glad to know about problems and want to get them fixed so that as many people as possible can access the site without any hassle. These things happen and crop up from time to time, and as soon as you get them fixed something else goes wonky.

• ANDKRY (ANDKRY)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Jul 2008 19:14 #12 by ANDKRY (ANDKRY)
Well, installed Mozilla. Didn't show a thing. But when I launched the Error Console it showed even more than IE7. The warnings are like: 'expected end value for property...' and 'unknown property...'. But the error is - also shown in Mozilla:

Error: window.addEvent is not a function
Source File: www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/modules/moo_faq/moo_faq.js
Line: 64

Very close to in IE7 - line 65.

Sorry for being that pedantic - working as a project manager in telecomms.

Hope this helps.
Again, sorry for the hassle,
Andrei.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Jul 2008 20:35 #13 by Valerie (Valerie)
Hi,
Just did a bit of investigating/testing ...

My settings on the Advanced Options of IE7 shows that the notification for every script error is disabled. I do get the \"Errors on page\" message on the status bar.
If I enable the notification for every script error, I do get the same message as the one you show in the attached document.

So far, this problem has not stopped me from either using the forum or using the admin control panel.

Darragh says he'll have a look when he gets a chance.

In the meantime, if you go to Internet Options, Advanced, and click off \"Display a notification for every script error\", you should be ok for now :-)

I hope this helps.

Kindest regards,
Valerie

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds