Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

aquarank

More
30 Jul 2008 00:00 #1 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
why are we not on aquarank, we should be on it, it'll get us new members and be an identifiable way new fishkeepers can find us.. i'd vote for us:)
Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2008 00:02 #2 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Will look into it, might not be a bad idea. :-)

More
30 Jul 2008 20:07 #3 by karlo (karlo kennedy)
Replied by karlo (karlo kennedy) on topic Re:aquarank
sheag35 i think its a great idea you have my backing darragh

More
30 Jul 2008 20:28 #4 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
i have to say it is not something i would go with there are plenty of ranking sites out there but some of the sites they list would be substandard.

ranking sites are not there to sell forums they are there to sell sponsors

next if member do not vote regularly the rank falls and this gives a false impression of the quality of a forum

We have a great forum here with a wealth of information.

and as the old saying goes \"THE CREAM ALWAYS FLOATS TO THE TOP\"

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
30 Jul 2008 20:46 #5 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I have to agree with Micky.
I have visited some of these sites and it seems to be sites selling themselves for the few quid in advertising.
They have loads of treads with crap talk.
You will never replace quality with quantity.

More
30 Jul 2008 23:20 #6 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Seamus, I must say that Mickey's opinion of Aquarank was pretty much what I thought, but I have not used it or looked at it in a long time.

However I did not want to reply all negative to a positive suggestion without first checking it out, which I will do, however whether we join or not will not be anything to do with me, I would just be interested to see what the implications would be.

I think there may be better ways of promoting the forum, posters, boards.ie, local papers etc.

Daragh

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Jul 2008 09:00 #7 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:aquarank
Hi,

My thoughts on this subject pretty much match the previous posts. However, if more people here express the wish to register with Aquarank, I have no objection and will organise accordingly.

Though we don't want to discourage people from abroad from taking part to this discussion forum as we always enjoy hearing/learning what is available/happening in other countries, most of our users are based in Ireland.
As a consequence, we might want to continue developing this 'market' and promoting this discussion forum and clubs locally.

We are open to any suggestion people might have ... so, people, let your imagination/creative side rip and do suggest ways of making fish-keepers more aware of www.irishfishkeepers.com :-)

Thanks.
Valerie

More
31 Jul 2008 12:26 #8 by karlo (karlo kennedy)
Replied by karlo (karlo kennedy) on topic Re:aquarank
how about becoming a sister forum to another forum in another country were we get alot of of fish from then we could find out more about other fishkeeping ways

More
31 Jul 2008 13:10 - 31 Jul 2008 13:14 #9 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
that would be something well worth considering Karlo

This would be a meeting of minds that would benefit both.

I am on two other forums that work together and there are some big benefits with little or no disadvantages.

Last edit: 31 Jul 2008 13:14 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods). Reason: add to

More
31 Jul 2008 13:14 #10 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
If its not broke,then dont fix it! I think we have a cracking site going here as it is and I personally use you guys as my fish bible!!

More
01 Aug 2008 02:20 #11 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Hey lets scrap the aquarank idea, but that sister site think is a cracking idea, i mean i know what fishowner means re this site being great and a fish bible, but knowledge is power and with the wealth of knowledge we could tap with making ourselves a little more prominent on the web would help us all... i agree with all the comments and their validity, but just trying to get us out there as i personally think this site is the best and friendliest i've come across
Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
01 Aug 2008 10:20 #12 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Hi sheag35,
I am with you on this?

Now the question is What site/sites should we approach?

Mickey

More
01 Aug 2008 14:00 #13 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
Hi guys,i'd have to be with fishowner on this one,this is the only site i use,its great,i'm just starting to get to know everyone on it,i know there's more out there but even trying to look up a certain fish on the net different sites tell you different things totally contradicting the other,probably just me but i like to stick with what i know to be a good site,and this is the best i've come across yet

Paul

More
01 Aug 2008 14:12 - 01 Aug 2008 14:13 #14 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
I know what you mean Paul,but again we are merely newbies in the wider context ( forgive me if you are an old hand at the tropical fishkeeping game, I have done coldwater for about 10/15 years and had terrapins for about 7 years also but am new to the tropicals to be fair)and I think that we must put it in context,knowledge is power and I have also gone onto a few other sites but find them nowhere near as good as this site..BUT...and its a small BUT......I have learnt bits and pieces from other sites also to be fair. So I think the suggestion of a sister site is a good idea,again the idea is that when you google tropical fish, you want this site getting to the top of the list for its informative facts etc.....if we had a good sister site both members of each site could help one another out. I think something we can never replace on this site elsewhere is that people on the forums here are willing to swap products,give a fish or two a home when in need,perform miracle surgry of fish!! (you know who you are!),as well as being just friendly informative people that treat fish owners (no pun intended on my name!) with respect and genuinely are here to help each other.Long may that continue,but as we said perhaps more people being aware of us is a good thing, I know that if my fish isnt feeling good I want to have someone available to be assist me if at all possible.

Gavin
Last edit: 01 Aug 2008 14:13 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner).

More
01 Aug 2008 14:47 #15 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
hey gavin,no old hand here,only been keeping tropicals about 6 months,never had anything else before that,but in saying that i'm on my third tank already,and should have another on the way fairly soon,i'm not disagreeing with a sister site,i just hope its as good as this one,i'm just easily confused,too much information and my brain just shuts down,but no matter what i come across while researching if i'm not sure i just post here and always get great advice,

Thanks everyone

Paul

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds