Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

breeders registrar

More
30 Jul 2008 00:22 #1 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
:woohoo: with so many people having so many different species on this forum, what say ye to us setting up a breeders registrar so when we breed fish we can give away / sell excess fry and help others get those harder to get rarer fish we all desire, think this could be a runner;)
Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2008 09:11 #2 by pointer28 (Noel Lambert)
I'm not a breeder myself nor am I actually looking for any harder to get species at the moment but hopefully in the future I may be both so I think that this is a superb idea and shouldn't be too hard to set up and manage.

Surely just a sticky thread where people post the species that they breed and where they live with contact details if they like.

More
30 Jul 2008 20:40 #3 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
I would be with pointer28 on the sticky, breeders need to make more use of the for sale section but a breeders blog would be helpful with information for those wishing to breed.

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
30 Jul 2008 20:48 #4 by karlo (karlo kennedy)
the only problem is that you would need someone to keep a eye to make shore the other peoples info is not being handed to anyone. cause i read bout something like this befor and someone gave out info and next thing that person got robbed. so if we had a Moderator that we trust that could pass on the info then im all for it :)

More
30 Jul 2008 20:55 #5 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
It could be done without posting personal info or the need of a moderator to look after it.
If someone posts they are breeding such and such a fish you can just send them a PM or a reply post.

More
31 Jul 2008 02:39 #6 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
I certainly can see what your saying re security etc., but pm'd details can be done and if security is the issue here surely our sponsors could help by promoting local breeders and trading in stock raised by our good selves, it would possibly mean better stock at lower prices for them and us, i'd happily buy from someone on this site, and hey its about as dangerous as our for sale section as people still give their details by pm / phone for this..
Maybe i'm foolishly trusting but from my experiences on this site we're a damn good bunch and i've gotten to trust ye all,
its an idea even if it only comes to pass as a info section on how we got our fish to breed it would be beneficial to all..
Seamus

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Jul 2008 09:13 - 31 Jul 2008 10:10 #7 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:breeders register
Ok :-)

We can give this a go ...

As far as moderation is concerned, I don't think much more is required than the rest of the forum. The same rules apply! :-) Any personal details can be exchanged by means of PM.

We can set up two stickies ...

- one in the For Sale Section for people to promote their fish's progenies and
- one in the Breeding Tropicals Section to publish their experience and findings about their breeding fish.

Any comments ?

Valerie
Last edit: 31 Jul 2008 10:10 by Valerie (Valerie).

More
31 Jul 2008 11:16 #8 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
l
Hi Valerie,
love that idea!
Mickey

More
31 Jul 2008 12:18 #9 by karlo (karlo kennedy)
ya go for it hope some people can bring some nice fish to me lol:))

More
31 Jul 2008 17:44 #10 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I think it would be a great idea, but apart from just a place to advertise you fish for sale, I think it would be great if people gave some info on the fish, conditions they bred in, maybe some photos etc.

In fact that brings to mind something I keep meaning to ask about, wasn't there to be a user blog section on this version of the forum. I think that would be great. I would certainly fill it up with boring ramblings, I mean interesting contributions. Some wereyou could have a never ending thread with day to day fish stiff, photos, breeding attempts, acquisitions etc etc.

And how about getting the breeder to complete the Wiki section for any fish been offered, if it is not complete already.

Daragh

More
31 Jul 2008 17:53 #11 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
I am with Daragh on this except the wiki which i can not get my head around i can use it but the editing and creating is over my head :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

More
31 Jul 2008 18:00 #12 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
If I can manage it you can. I am sure we could get a simple \"How to Guide\", once you do one, it is childs play. It is just not very intuitive to start with.

More
01 Aug 2008 01:46 #13 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
not a bad idea Daragh that about the blog
Seamus

More
01 Aug 2008 10:25 #14 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
cheers Daragh i willl be looking forward to reading that and having a go
Mickey:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :blush: :woohoo: :blush: :woohoo: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds