Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Get it Sorted

• russell (russell)
  • russell (russell)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Sep 2008 17:52 - 22 Sep 2008 09:09 #1 by russell (russell)
Get it Sorted was created by russell (russell)
Last edit: 22 Sep 2008 09:09 by russell (russell). Reason: Removed at Mods Request

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2008 18:03 #2 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Gesh ease off abit. These things happen, its up and running now and again. Its not as if its down all the time. This is only the 2nd time I can remember anything happening the site and in fairness Darragh has explained the position. It just takes a few of us to understand the position he was in and accept it. Giving out here and being frustrated isnt going to help. Keep up the great work Darragh, 99% of us certainly appreciate it.
Gavin

More
21 Sep 2008 18:48 #3 by CJackson (Frank Farrell)
Chill the fish out. This happens on every website on every server on the fishing planet! Instead of a 404 or a 503 page you get a \"Scheduled maintenance\" page - it means the same fishing thing.

To be fair, I don't think the ITFS can afford a server-farm like eBay or Amazon or Google have - or are you paying massive subscription fees in the 100,000s that entitles you to give out about this? It's not the end of the world really, is it?

More
21 Sep 2008 19:13 #4 by CJackson (Frank Farrell)

More
21 Sep 2008 19:22 #5 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
One of the other websites I run for Irish Astronomy is being hammered by what looks like a denial of service attack and it has been ongoing for the last 24 hours.
Unfortunately, this attack is affecting several sites I maintain, hopefully it we can end it soon

Darragh

More
21 Sep 2008 19:38 #6 by CJackson (Frank Farrell)
Darragh,

I might have been a bit frivolous with that earlier post, but I am agreeing 100% with Gavin. Most of us realise that this stuff happens from time to time - if it was a crappy site that had server issues all the time no one would complain. But, when everything works well 99% of the time you always get someone groaning about the 1% of downtime. This stuff happens, it will pass, yes it is an inconvenience - but that's all it really is. I hope you can get on top of the problem quickly - looks like it is sorted now.

As an aside are you using the FireBoard on both sites?

More
21 Sep 2008 19:41 #7 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
Yes, use Fireboard and Joomla for all of my community sites.
Darragh

More
21 Sep 2008 22:54 - 21 Sep 2008 22:56 #8 by fourmations (NIall SMyth)
i thought it was probably me!
my connection has been acting the arse!

anyway, i can survive a bit of downtime
in exchange for the invaluable advice i've received!

but back to topic, i concur, \"get it sorted!!!\" ;)

rgds

Last edit: 21 Sep 2008 22:56 by fourmations (NIall SMyth).

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Sep 2008 08:33 - 22 Sep 2008 09:11 #9 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Re:Get it Sorted
Last edit: 22 Sep 2008 09:11 by russell (russell). Reason: mods request

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Sep 2008 08:39 #10 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Re:Get it Sorted
3rd Time of trying to post

Network Error (tcp_error)

A communication error occurred: \"Operation timed out\"
The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.

For assistance, contact your network support team.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Sep 2008 08:42 #11 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:Get it Sorted
Russell,

I think you are being very unfair towards the site.
The site is hardly down and, I think this site server is extremely reliable. After all, even the gigantic sites are having these problems!

The outage problems you are experiencing are probably not caused by your top of the range computer, but by your broadband provider. Yes, and it does happen me too and probably everybody else that the connection does not happen when you submit a reply.
When I type a lengthy reply on the forum, I do make sure I copy the text to clipboard ... just in case, so that I don't have to get annoyed and type it all over again!

One thing that we must not forget is that this site is provided, paid for and maintained by Darragh, at no cost to us whatsoever. I think we are doing pretty well !

Regards,
Valerie

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Sep 2008 08:49 #12 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:Get it Sorted
Russell,

This has nothing to do with the site.
Please contact your broadband service provider.

Valerie

More
22 Sep 2008 08:54 #13 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Darragh, didnt realise you did all of the work and paid for it yourself etc..
ON BEHALF OF THE MEMBERS HERE, A BIG TANKS!! Its certainly appreciated. And its good to see the site back up and running.
Gavin

More
25 Sep 2008 19:31 #14 by goldy (goldy .)
Replied by goldy (goldy .) on topic Re:Get it Sorted
I second that. thanks for all the hard work put in by all the team.

More
25 Sep 2008 23:29 #15 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
for what we get and at no cost to us we all should be thanking Daragh, he is after all the lifeblood of this forum, much respect to him

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds