Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Why is the forum so slooooowwwww

More
23 Feb 2010 18:52 #1 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
Anyone else have constant lag on the site ? Just checked ping times against other forums and its alot higher for irishfishkeepers.com. Is the problem with blacknight ? ping times are crappy.
This is not a recent issue, it has been laggy for a long time, I actually thought someone was hosting it in their house its so bad

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2010 19:05 #2 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Working at a decent enough speed for me,about as techy as I get,is that I'm on Eircom.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Feb 2010 19:21 #3 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Why is the forum so slooooowwwww
The Weather's been crap, might have a cold:P

Kev.

More
23 Feb 2010 19:47 #4 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
ok. so lets say you are browsing the website suggestions section and you click on forum on the left, how long does it take to display the sections ?

More
23 Feb 2010 19:58 #5 by Acara (Dave Walters)
From reading this thread,and clicking 'forum' to the left,6-7 seconds.However,I never use that,just stay on homepage and read latest posts,that is much quicker.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
24 Feb 2010 00:31 #6 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Damian_Ireland wrote:

ok. so lets say you are browsing the website suggestions section and you click on forum on the left, how long does it take to display the sections ?

Ive occasionally been timed out waiting on a page to load. Like acara said, its quicker using the list on the homepage but you can miss posts if there has been a lot of activity on the site and it just seems a shame not to use the forum page as its done very well.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
24 Feb 2010 00:58 #7 by Ma (mm mm)
There is a larger amount of data to be retrieved from the database when entering the forum. There the transaction delays get longer, doubt it is anything to do with bandwodth or server network response times.

There is something in the way the dbase is queried when we open the forum link. Too much data being retrieved from the database, or the way it's queried. Wouldn't think it's performance in this day n age:)

Mark

Location D.11

More
24 Feb 2010 09:34 #8 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
Mark, I would tend to agree with you, but i dont think its content as there is not alot of volume on the page. Its either bad coding or something wrong with the database.

More
24 Feb 2010 14:18 #9 by Ma (mm mm)
Ture not alot of data to retrieve.

If they're just using a single table I doubt it's the table, due to posts being retained indefinately ect maybe the database is getting too large for it's original purpose re current design.

I wonder if it takes longer for someone with more posts to enter the forum than someone with very few posts?

Mark

Location D.11

More
24 Feb 2010 15:16 #10 by sparky (sparky)
Its possible that the database has become corrupt somewhere along the way. With phpBB (software that can be used for building forum's like this one) it is possible for people it do s SQL injection, which slows doen the site dramatically, and can also result in the site getting hacked. Of course, the first thing to check would be the server that the site is running from, and check that there is nothing running in the background that is causing some sort of networking bottleneck, paticularly when there are a lot of users on the site.

-Brian

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

More
24 Feb 2010 15:46 #11 by Ma (mm mm)
Still wonder if my phone posting had some effect, something locked that thread, locked the table. Box was up when forum was down. If the DB is not extensibly designed it will over time become more unstable with "unplanned for" growth, and become quite cumbersome in operation. Response times don't go up when I get delays, steady around 240ms when there's a few on the forum

If it was an underlying services or resources or network problem I suspect we'd suffer the same problems on other parts of the forum, not just the forum link.

I'm certain the powers that be know what they are doing more than I. Not a major problem, more of a slight pain than anything else.

Mark

Location D.11

More
24 Feb 2010 17:35 #12 by sparky (sparky)
Just as a suggestion to whoever it is who actually looks after the running of the site... perhaps we could close some of the older subjects, as there are 6808 open at the minute? this could, potentially cause the fourms to run a bit slower... just a thought!!

-Brian

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

More
24 Feb 2010 18:35 #13 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
Hi,

The problem is the backend database has a few tables that locking up. I haven't found a solution to it yet. Hopefully I will soon.

I am planning to upgrade all the software in the next few weeks as most of the software is out of date and not supported any more.

Darragh

More
24 Feb 2010 21:42 #14 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
cheers Darragh

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
10 Mar 2010 19:58 #15 by W0oDe (W0oDe)
Hi Darragh,

I have been working with Joomla / CMS for a few years now, and know it quite well. If you need a hand on design / remodeling / SQL send me a PM,

If you want a demo, I can supply that too.

regards

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds