Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Competition photographs!

More
07 Feb 2007 18:38 #1 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Would it be possible to keep the threads with the past competition photographs in it rather than deleting them? Considering that many of the photographs are not entered in the actual photo section it seems a shame to get rid of such a wide range of fish photographs. I would recommend that you just leave the date on the thread (including year), assort the img code in ascending order so that it represents the final placements (ie winners) and then lock the thread. After a couple of months I think it would make a great compilation. Then maybe at the end of the year, there can be a best of the best comp between the winning photographs over the twelve months.

Question: Is there any way of retrieving past competition threads?

Regards

Denis

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2007 02:48 #2 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Just an idea, should people be allowed to enter the same photograph in each competition.

If you entered it once, you should have to enter a new one the next month.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2007 05:54 #3 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Competition photographs!
This year we are going to display each months winner and have a yearly prize. I have all the pictures saved myself. I only delete the entries because it takes up space but anyone is free to post pictures in the other photo section.
I would rather see new pics as opposed to old ones being re-used, I would not vote for pics used over and over again.

More
23 Feb 2007 07:40 #4 by goldy (goldy .)
it could also be a good way of raising revenue for the clubs by printing a calender for next year and selling them in the lfs if they will allow it. just another idea dont know if it would work (printing costs etc) but I am sure with teh use of a computer etc it could be done cheap enough... what do you think

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Feb 2007 07:44 #5 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: Competition photographs!
Calender sounds like a great idea.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Feb 2007 14:03 #6 by Anthony (Anthony)
I have all the photos so the LFKS might bring out their own one.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Only joking.

More
26 Feb 2007 05:26 #7 by goldy (goldy .)
i know where you live......

More
26 Feb 2007 09:05 #8 by JohnH (John)

Would it be possible to keep the threads with the past competition photographs in it rather than deleting them?

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think I recalled a posting from Darragh saying that competition photos had to be deleted because of the space they took up and that it was costing him money to 'host' them? (Perhaps someone might remember this more accurately than myself).

But if Anthony has them all then I suppose that's OK anyway.

I entered a snap one month before Christmas for the competition and, although it was visible all through the month, when voting time came for some reason it became 'not possible' to view. I think it was too large of a file size, even though I did reduce it to 72 pixels per inch...anyway, it wasn't much of a picture anyway. Perhaps someone better in the know could tell me how small the picture's 'size' needs to be for it to be OK.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Feb 2007 14:29 #9 by Anthony (Anthony)

i know where you live......

WOOO HOOO.
I have my first stalker :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Feb 2007 14:34 #10 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: Competition photographs!
Congratulations. :o

So now the stalker has become the stalked!!!

More
27 Feb 2007 04:45 #11 by goldy (goldy .)
its ok you wont recegnise me with my shades on...the binoculars might give it away though.. :lol: :lol:

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Feb 2007 14:30 #12 by Anthony (Anthony)
Think I might walk around the house naked a lot more now.
:cry: :lol: :lol: :lol:

More
01 Mar 2007 16:05 #13 by goldy (goldy .)
ooh i am trembling in my boots...

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds