Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Fundraising Ideas

More
25 May 2010 21:45 #1 by DJK (David Kinsella)
Just a small suggestion.

After arriving at the very enjoyable Show on Sunday at about 2.00/2.30 to realise that all the prizes for show/raffle were already completed by then, I was a little surprised. I brought an extra few quid to support the Show a little more with the raffle. If the organisers could give an approx time for the prize giving next year, I think this would help.

Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2010 21:52 - 25 May 2010 21:54 #2 by lestat (Stuie)
Replied by lestat (Stuie) on topic Re:Fundraising Ideas
Very Fair point Dave,
there should be something like contribution fees also at the shows or that as to help towards the running of the site and the shows an etc......like god knows we all get alot from the site so why not give a little back....
Regards Stuie
Last edit: 25 May 2010 21:54 by lestat (Stuie).

More
25 May 2010 22:18 - 26 May 2010 10:06 #3 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:Fundraising Ideas
Sorry Dave,
You were misled there - tickets for the main raffle were still being sold almost up to the actual draw time, certainly closer to six than five o'clock.
There were several tombolas and 'spot prize' raffles going on all afternoon (perhaps you were just too late for one of those?) but the main draw wasn't until after all the awards had been handed out...pretty well the very last thing to happen.
This is how it has been every Show I've attended too.

Sorry if that wasn't made clear to you.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 26 May 2010 10:06 by JohnH (John). Reason: modification

More
25 May 2010 22:30 #4 by murph (Tony Murphy)
FWIW, some events I attend (organ recitals, for the curious!) have a 'retiring collection' instead of an entry fee. You give what you thought it was worth at the end, as you leave. Seems to be effective..

More
25 May 2010 22:44 #5 by DJK (David Kinsella)
Sorry about that John,

I was only there for an hour or so, an in-between time as it turns out.

Dave

More
26 May 2010 01:22 #6 by Denis (Denis Goulding)
Fixed entry fee is a better idea with donations greatly accepted also.
To raise more funds that is.
Would it be an idea to have a talk and slideshow at the event on various different thing,s like livebearer, inverts, plecs, loaches etc etc. To break up the day.

Lots of ideas to raise money too like folks selling there fish at the show, charge them 30 euro for a table for the day. I am sure there would be lots more ideas out there

More
26 May 2010 01:43 #7 by dar (darren curry)
how about i turn up and let people punch me in the face for a euro, i bet i'l make the show a small fortune off a select few, no seriously wat about fish related stationary, mugs, mouse mats, tee shirts all wit your favourite fish pic on them (choose from a list or upload your own) all these can be done in chemists, pic shops and on line but if you catch people at the show they might be willing to spend that little bit extra to enjoy the experience a little more

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
26 May 2010 06:59 #8 by mossy (gavin blanchfield)
darrencurry wrote:

how about i turn up and let people punch me in the face for a euro, i bet i'l make the show a small fortune off a select few, no seriously wat about fish related stationary, mugs, mouse mats, tee shirts all wit your favourite fish pic on them (choose from a list or upload your own) all these can be done in chemists, pic shops and on line but if you catch people at the show they might be willing to spend that little bit extra to enjoy the experience a little more

i reckon you would make more money with your first idea darren:ohmy: :laugh:

More
26 May 2010 10:15 #9 by JohnH (John)
murph wrote:

FWIW, some events I attend (organ recitals, for the curious!) have a 'retiring collection' instead of an entry fee. You give what you thought it was worth at the end, as you leave. Seems to be effective..

organ recitals
That wouldn't be Jon Lord, then?
:silly:
Actually - only my own opinion - I think a retiring collection at the point of departure would be well worth considering...but with the (very reasonable, I thought) fee still charged at point of entry. Anyone who considered what they got for their admission charge was very good value (and it was, IMO) could contribute more upon leaving, voluntarily.

John

ITFS member.

More
26 May 2010 10:37 - 26 May 2010 10:38 #10 by JohnH (John)
darrencurry wrote:

Darren,
Apart from the first light-hearted jokey one your other suggestions are very sound and well worth looking into.

DJK
I'm glad it was merely a mistake, it was a real pity you misunderstood too and had to miss out on buying some.
All tickets sold to people not staying for the draw had purchasers' names and phone numbers written on the counterfoils so were able to be contacted after the draw.

Denis

Fixed entry fee is a better idea with donations greatly accepted also.
To raise more funds that is.
Would it be an idea to have a talk and slideshow at the event on various different thing,s like livebearer, inverts, plecs, loaches etc etc. To break up the day.

Lots of ideas to raise money too like folks selling there fish at the show, charge them 30 euro for a table for the day. I am sure there would be lots more ideas out there

I agree with your first point (as above).
The other suggestions are all sound too, but would actually be a nightmare logistically, I think.
Because of that the Show Committee had to move Anton Lamboq's presentation to the Saturday as trying to have such a talk on the day of the Show in the confines of the space available to them would have been just impossible. It was for this reason that I - sadly - ended up missing what, by everyone's account of it afterwards, was a superb talk...right up my alley - so to speak.

Please, everyone, keep the suggestions coming in.

John

ITFS member.

Last edit: 26 May 2010 10:38 by JohnH (John). Reason: modification

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds