Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

trading

More
04 Dec 2010 11:16 #1 by dar (darren curry)
trading was created by dar (darren curry)
i know it's not the rules, but it would be nice if the first person to inquire about an item can mention so on the wall, even stating "pm sent", it's very annoying to be first in line only to be told some one got there first, lads if this could be done to stop wasting others time and getting hopes up. feeling bitchy today darren? yeah numerous deals fell trough yesterday and i got done out of a few quid arranging collection on one (but not on here)

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2010 11:35 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:trading
Darren,
I sympathise with you here, but not that long ago there were several posts complaining about 'PM sent' messages - it's a "no-win" situation really.
As you say, it's not in the rules but some sort of notification - perhaps by the seller - that an item had been sold or at least promised to another Forum member would be of great help to other interested parties.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
04 Dec 2010 12:49 #3 by dar (darren curry)
Replied by dar (darren curry) on topic Re:trading
yeah pm sent is also annoying, but even an "i'm interested" post, then others might not post, or post "if it falls through give me second option". i am actually guilty of such a crime but lost out because i never posted on the wall and with the timing out on the site i lost out, just an idea to help other members out as it can be slightly fustrating

More
04 Dec 2010 22:18 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I would have to be some pretty awful mood to write in and complain about 'PM sent' posts.

It would be one of the least important things to complain about IMO.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
05 Dec 2010 00:27 #5 by joey (joe watson)
Replied by joey (joe watson) on topic Re:trading
i get where you are coming from, but i think the onus should be on the seller to state what items are on hold or sold, that way someone could then ask to have the item next if the on hold falls thru. i also have lost a few deals but luckily have something else arranged with other reliable buyers. others have pm'd me without anything going on the thread about it, but as the items were already on hold i think its best not to do so, as it keeps the thread too active when there is one item on hold for possibly 3 people

More
06 Dec 2010 14:23 #6 by joey (joe watson)
ok scratch the last comment, i feel where you are coming from as a buyer. just lost out on what would have been an amazing offer and i thought i was the first one to get something. but no, i was wrong...

More
06 Dec 2010 14:30 #7 by dar (darren curry)
see joey? see wat i mean? if the first inline used a pm and stated his interest on the wall you would not of bothered, unless it fell trough. people cant blame the seller as he might not be online much, and the timing off on the site doesn't help matters

even though it is the sellers decision at the end of the day, fair should be fair, we all look after each other here and it's very generous wat denis is doing and very caring on behalf of his fish as if they went to a store god knows who'd buy them

More
06 Dec 2010 14:33 - 06 Dec 2010 14:34 #8 by dar (darren curry)
JohnH wrote:

Darren,
I sympathise with you here, but not that long ago there were several posts complaining about 'PM sent' messages

yeah but John that was regarding sharing info, which was stated (by myself and others) was a bit rude as people could benefit from the info being posted. but lets not go back there

Last edit: 06 Dec 2010 14:34 by dar (darren curry).

More
06 Dec 2010 16:53 #9 by joey (joe watson)
i didn't pm as was in a rush so posted to say what i want. and justin did the right thing, IMO, by asking for 2nds if my deal fell thru (which it actually would have due to my cr*ppy job but i was going to try to get up there tonight)
out of fairness to everyone it is only right that interested buyers first post and not just "pm sent" there should be details like "pm sent re: sterbai" so other users can ask for 2nds or are aware someone else may have them. also the seller should post up for what is on hold once it is on hold (i am selling alot, i try my best to do this) i think using pm's should be to exchange numbers/addresses but the sales should go thru the thread to make other people aware of what is going on.
anyway, this time i'm not disappointed as
1)i'd have been shot for getting more fish
2)i already have plenty of fish for the new set-up

More
06 Dec 2010 17:11 #10 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:trading
dar wrote:

JohnH wrote:

Darren,
I sympathise with you here, but not that long ago there were several posts complaining about 'PM sent' messages

yeah but John that was regarding sharing info, which was stated (by myself and others) was a bit rude as people could benefit from the info being posted. but lets not go back there

I really don't want to get into a long discussion here, but there were complaints previous to then.

Very personally I believe it is the responsibility of anyone advertising in the 'For Sale' section to keep everyone else informed as to progress...but there again I never offer anything for sale anyhow.

Indeed, I have several times been a victim, on a particular occasion I know I was the first respondent (long before I took on this position) since the seller remarked on it...later on I was sent a PM telling me it had already gone - tough luck John, that's the way the cookie crumbles, as our cousins across the Atlantic would say.

It's all a bit of a 'lottery', I think...but really courtesy should come into play here.

Actually, if the Forum rules are correctly followed any item once sold should be removed and the ad deleted.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
06 Dec 2010 17:58 #11 by dar (darren curry)
and i'm gonna throw fuel on the fire, i strongly believe favouritism plays a large role in it ( maybe not this case) but if you want your buddy to take something pm them and offer it rather than post the list and then it's gone to some one you know or like better. this carry on does happen behind pm and it's the sellers every right to do so, but it's hardly fair to the joe soap who got their hopes up who wasted a pm and/or a post(as seen from earlier post i am not a waster of the slightest of my energy, ask my missus)

More
06 Dec 2010 18:10 #12 by joey (joe watson)
oi my name is joe watson! not soap. tut tut
yes i hear you on that on too, and yes i have also done it myself but unintentionally. all ads legitimately put up and if a friend has been the first to mak an offer it has gone to them. 1st come 1st serve. friends have been privately offered stuff either before sale post or if there has been no interest. i think a rule should be that sellers should post any updates to sales as soon as they happen to keep other informed, more as courtesy. even just to say "xxx on hold" and it wont matter if potential buyers have posted or just pm'd or even phoned.
actually i may update mine now...

More
06 Dec 2010 18:31 #13 by dar (darren curry)
and i'l throw one in for the sellers, (now i'm guilty of falling through on a deal but it was because i thought i sent the message, and thought the seller was an ignorant git for not writing back) but if you agree to buy something and dont honor it you should be banned from the trading section for a period of time, if the seller complains. if thats possible

More
06 Dec 2010 18:45 - 06 Dec 2010 18:52 #14 by joey (joe watson)
yeah i've had that happen to me by a few people very recently, but what i have left on hold is being bought by reliable people, they are all keen to get it. and you were reliable dar, thanks (but i wont tell your missus ;) )
and john
and andrew
and my friends from imas

just want to say thanks to all, and the sponsors who helped take some big specimines

Last edit: 06 Dec 2010 18:52 by joey (joe watson).

More
07 Dec 2010 00:27 #15 by andrewo (andrew)
Replied by andrewo (andrew) on topic Re:trading
Aye; Joey is as reputable as they come by :laugh:

Dar; you made a nice suggestion of banning but this will be hard to regulate in forum no? Hard to allow them to come into forum but not be able to use/see trading section :laugh:

So we have only fairplay and gentleman/woman ly conduct to regulate ourselves here!

Regards;
Andrew

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds