Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

wanted section

More
07 Dec 2010 22:48 #1 by dar (darren curry)
should a rule of posting location on wanted adds be contemplated (it's probably there, but i missed it) might as well give john an extra bit of work to keep him on his toes, he's slacking of late :laugh:

for example, i seen an add for a pump and i was thinking if i was selling mine, i'd post yeah i have one there for sale, pm my details to find out the person is possibly in Donegal and cant travel, yes it is only minor but if it sets a standard and rules out that posabililty of occurring then surely that's good for the site

any views?

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2010 23:07 #2 by joey (joe watson)
Replied by joey (joe watson) on topic Re:wanted section
actually what might be better in all occasions is to have your location under your avatar beside your posts, but its a csae of getting all users to fill this in, unless there's some way admin can make all users fill in location on a form. even the county will do

More
08 Dec 2010 00:16 #3 by andrewo (andrew)
Replied by andrewo (andrew) on topic Re:wanted section
Oi you two! You are like night policeman!:laugh:

More
08 Dec 2010 01:27 #4 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:wanted section
dar wrote:

should a rule of posting location on wanted adds be contemplated (it's probably there, but i missed it) might as well give john an extra bit of work to keep him on his toes, he's slacking of late :laugh:

for example, i seen an add for a pump and i was thinking if i was selling mine, i'd post yeah i have one there for sale, pm my details to find out the person is possibly in Donegal and cant travel, yes it is only minor but if it sets a standard and rules out that posabililty of occurring then surely that's good for the site

[color=]any views?[/color]

This was suggested some time back and makes good sense (it must do, I suggested it).

Slacking of late, I suppose I have been a bit - this winter is getting to my old bones already - roll on April.

*Joey,
It would be good if everyone did the same as Dar and added their general location into their 'profile' this would then appear bottom left of each and every post (as it does in his).
I'll scout back later to find the guideline for it - must be there somewhere.
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
08 Dec 2010 01:32 #5 by JohnH (John)
Found it (more easily than I anticipated)

Follow this link:

www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/o.../catid,553/id,43905/

The the suggestion/request from yours truly is the green post half-way down.

John

ITFS member.

More
08 Dec 2010 01:34 #6 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
my location now included.... i'm a good boy i am :)

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
08 Dec 2010 01:46 #7 by JohnH (John)
sheag35 wrote:

my location now included.... i'm a good boy i am :)

That you are...

Now, lets hope everyone can follow suit, that will leave Dar one less job to do...

John

ITFS member.

More
08 Dec 2010 01:54 #8 by dar (darren curry)
make it in huge bold letters for the blind or slightly idiotic, i screamed "LOCATION" twice only to find it was at the bottom all along, i wont say wat category i fall under but would like to share the good news....i passed my eye test with flying colours

More
08 Dec 2010 02:18 #9 by JohnH (John)
Then I wouldn't hazard a guess...

There is no way (which I can find) to change the format even to bold type - but if this can become a 'universal' thing and everyone puts their location then it would become 'second nature' for anyone to automatically look below left for locations.

John

ITFS member.

More
08 Dec 2010 02:39 #10 by andrewo (andrew)
Replied by andrewo (andrew) on topic Re:wanted section
Ok Chief!

More
08 Dec 2010 09:29 - 08 Dec 2010 11:37 #11 by DJK (David Kinsella)
JohnH wrote:

Then I wouldn't hazard a guess...

There is no way (which I can find) to change the format even to bold type - but if this can become a 'universal' thing and everyone puts their location then it would become 'second nature' for anyone to automatically look below left for locations.

John

Hi all,

If you type in the little extras below when editing/adding your signature it should come out like mine.
Those are zeros after the FF by the way.

Hope this helps.

Dave

[x][y=#FF0000]Location: Dublin 8[/color][/x]

Where you see x replace with a small b, and where you see y replace with the word color.
Last edit: 08 Dec 2010 11:37 by DJK (David Kinsella).

More
08 Dec 2010 10:04 #12 by dar (darren curry)
very good dave

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds