Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New Logo Response

More
19 Jan 2011 19:44 - 19 Jan 2011 19:50 #1 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
In response to design a new logo, 1st attempt B)

Regards
C
Last edit: 19 Jan 2011 19:50 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Jan 2011 19:52 - 19 Jan 2011 19:54 #2 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: New Logo Response
Really lovely Colin, you get my vote. Any point in having an established Date on it?

Kev.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2011 19:54 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
19 Jan 2011 20:12 - 19 Jan 2011 21:00 #3 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
This was only a first approach and still a bit raw, made in response to what Darragh was requesting on the homepage. any additional embellishments or a complete re-design wouldn't be a problem though.
Incidentally what is the actual Est. date.
Most Aquarist Societies used to adopt a species of fish for their badge The old Dublin society lapel badge had buildings and a fish of some description on it but I suspect that this is a completely new society to that.

Does this society have a particular fish species which they use as an emblem as the water splash with the clown fish on could do with a re-vamp also. Better still if you have a badge already or perhaps design one.
It would be nice and professional looking if an emblem was designed to sit alongside the new banner when eventually adopted.
Regards
C
Last edit: 19 Jan 2011 21:00 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

More
19 Jan 2011 22:43 #4 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
On conferring with Darragh, he was keen to point out that this forum is an amalgamation of such, incorporating in total three Irish Aquarist Societies (ITFS, CFKS & IMAS). with that in mind I have ammended the actual name text to reflect this.

Regards
C

More
19 Jan 2011 23:02 - 19 Jan 2011 23:03 #5 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
love it covers all societies like this and both marine and freshies alike, good jod puddlefish

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep
Last edit: 19 Jan 2011 23:03 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie). Reason: e&oe

More
19 Jan 2011 23:24 #6 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
That was the general idea Seamus, glad you like the initial offering.
Something to start from :laugh:
Regards
C

More
20 Jan 2011 00:09 #7 by joey (joe watson)
i know the imas have a frontosa in the logo, dont know about the other clubs but maybe incorporate a bit of each clubs logos in the badge design?

More
20 Jan 2011 00:15 #8 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
Lookin good Colin for a draft, id say u are nearly there. Little is more so i wouldnt goin addin to much more to this logo.

Mick...:)

Follow me up to Carlow

More
20 Jan 2011 01:23 #9 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: New Logo Response
Colin,
For what it's worth the ITFS 'logo-fish' is a Firemouth, but I think you knew that already?

Possibly a bit 'out-dated', but some of us like to live in the past, on top of which some of us like Firemouths still.

I'm not personally convinced, therefore, that it would be good to be changing traditions...but really that's for the ITFS to decide, I suppose.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
20 Jan 2011 09:08 #10 by Peteemax (Pete Maxwell)
Good work Colin.

Pete

Pete Maxwell

ITFS Member

More
20 Jan 2011 15:29 #11 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Nice work Colin.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
20 Jan 2011 16:29 - 20 Jan 2011 18:37 #12 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)

Colin,
For what it's worth the ITFS 'logo-fish' is a Firemouth, but I think you knew that already?
Possibly a bit 'out-dated', but some of us like to live in the past, on top of which some of us like Firemouths still.
I'm not personally convinced, therefore, that it would be good to be changing traditions...but really that's for the ITFS to decide, I suppose.
John

Yeah John,
I'm aware of the Firemouth insignia. Darragh wrote to me and informed me of the fact. I wasnt aware of this before hand, I thought it was the clownfish which I thought was odd. He did ask if I could come up with something apt, not sure if he wants a cross sectional crest to encompass the three clubs again or an individual badge for ITFS as on the original forum, top left.
I'll see if I can come up with a badge design or two :whistle: Maybe something like this........

Glad everyone likes the initial concept
Regards
C
Last edit: 20 Jan 2011 18:37 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

More
20 Jan 2011 19:15 #13 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
colin your a bit of a dark horse mate, article writer, banner maker and now badge maker ;) love the badge as well, i'd happily sport one of this on a jacket

More
20 Jan 2011 19:26 #14 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)

colin your a bit of a dark horse mate, article writer, banner maker and now badge maker love the badge as well, i'd happily sport one of this on a jacket

:laugh: I do like to breed some fish too, when I get a spare moment.
Cheers Seamus
Regards
C

More
20 Jan 2011 19:35 #15 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
and culture food.... forgot that too you jack of all trades :)

More
20 Jan 2011 19:37 #16 by des (des)
Replied by des (des) on topic Re: New Logo Response

Colin,
Possibly a bit 'out-dated', but some of us like to live in the past

John

i'd have to agree with John on this one
Collins design work is excellent but i do prefer the original banner/ logo
i am only a casual user and sorry to be in anyway negative but that's just my opinion...

More
20 Jan 2011 19:39 - 20 Jan 2011 20:01 #17 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)

and culture food.... forgot that too you jack of all trades

PM sent

i am only a casual user and sorry to be in anyway negative but that's just my opinion...

No worries mate I respect yours and others opinions, I was only responding to Darragh's announcement.
Regards
C
Last edit: 20 Jan 2011 20:01 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

More
20 Jan 2011 19:51 #18 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)

Colin,
Possibly a bit 'out-dated', but some of us like to live in the past

John

I also love what Colin is doing but I think the old one is perfect if you take the clown fish off and put some freshwater fish instead!

Mark

More
20 Jan 2011 19:55 #19 by des (des)
Replied by des (des) on topic Re: New Logo Response
maybe i'm just so used to looking at the original banner...
i'm sure if there was a new one i'd be used to it very quickly
as i say, i hate to post anything in any way negative :blush:
could be the colour scheme of the original one that i like, the usage of one colour (blue) and just different shades of it, suits the rest of the sites colour scheme very well...

...and i love the way the rays of light are comming down through the water in the original one

More
20 Jan 2011 20:58 #20 by joey (joe watson)
i know i'm relatively new to the forum (and fish keeping for that matter) but i find the majority on this site are freshwater keepers, so in my opinion, the logo should reflect that. also (correct me if i'm wrong) i understand this is the ITFS and the other clubs are extras?? therefore the final decision should be, as John says, up to the ITFS (possibly a majority vote from their comittee?) but to have something that includes parts of every club or that is ambiguous to all the clubs would be nice, so its not just signifying the ITFS the only club but shows we are an amalgamation of many clubs with one common gathering

or something along those lines

More
21 Jan 2011 16:38 - 21 Jan 2011 16:52 #21 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Forgive me...This is what I answered to from the top of the forum homepage.

16 Jan 2011
Hi,
We are looking for a graphic designer/digital artist to design a new logo for this website.
The current logo does not fit the design. If you are interested, please send a PM to darragh
Thanks

I'm no graphical artist and the computer can be a wonderful tool. I like to dabble in such artsy things and decided to try and answer Darragh's call as this is what I thought he wanted. The original text is up there in B&W. Maybe Darragh should have started a poll with a view to posing questions regarding keeping the forum aesthetics the same or adopt some sort of change. No ones is saying to use this imagery and I may not be the only person within this community to submit a pictorial item to Darragh.

As for the badge, I may have got my wires crossed a little here (and I apologise for that) as I also assumed that Darragh wanted to change the Clownfish logo. Which is meant to be a Firemouth Cichlid....all very confusing to say the least.
If anyone would like to clarify or enlighten me further as to the way the clubs and the forum co-exisit then please do as being outside the loop I'm not fully aware of the politics of it all.

I could go deeper into all of this but I'll desist, because of what John states that ultimately it would be up to the ITFS to implement change. (I think)

Again I only wanted to try and help,
Regards
C
Last edit: 21 Jan 2011 16:52 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

More
22 Jan 2011 00:00 #22 by joey (joe watson)
i hope you haven't taken offence to what i posted, i too hevn't a clue about the clubs or forums history, was only suggesting something that would take a small bit from all the clubs, like (sorry lads) the union jack is a flag comprising of englands, scotlands, wales' and cornwalls flags. the banner is class BTW

More
23 Jan 2011 21:01 #23 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
No offence taken :whistle:

More
23 Jan 2011 21:28 #24 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
Hi,

A quick reply to end this, I don't have the original banner that is displayed at the top to make it scale up and look correct in the new design.
I also called for a new banner to go with the new design, to which Puddlefish answered and has delivered.

The ITFS has their logo of a firemouth cichild and the website has had a different logo from the first website til now.

Darragh

More
25 Jan 2011 21:55 #25 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)

More
25 Jan 2011 22:36 #26 by funkychic (trish coughlan)
very nice :)

More
26 Jan 2011 00:30 #27 by joey (joe watson)
yeah thats the ticket now, the logo on the left is great. smashing job mate

More
26 Jan 2011 01:07 #28 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
I think it needs a fish on the right hand side aswell
What you guys think

Mark

More
28 Jan 2011 20:45 - 28 Jan 2011 20:45 #29 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
A little play on the logo.....
Last edit: 28 Jan 2011 20:45 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds