Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Breaking down sections

• David (David)
  • David (David)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Mar 2011 22:05 #1 by David (David)
Breaking down sections was created by David (David)
Is it worth considering to breakdown some section or to maybe double up
as there seems to be some topics that have not been accessed for months and some even years

it might also make the sight a bit more managable

Just a thought no offence intended

Regards

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Mar 2011 22:24 #2 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re: Breaking down sections
Hi,

I only see 2 categories that haven't moved in a while apart from some in the sponsors' section.

If you want to be more specific in your suggestion (or if anyone else wants to suggest anything else), we'd be happy to look at it and action on it if this is going to make the site better for you.

Valerie :)

• David (David)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Mar 2011 22:51 #3 by David (David)
Replied by David (David) on topic Re: Breaking down sections
When i mentiond breaking section down or joining some together this was based on

2 sections for competitions
2 sections for central & SA Cichlids
live bearers and labyrinth fish could be joined up with Tropical and fresh water fish i have noticed that the labyrinth fish section was used recently but they were old threads that had been bought back up.

Again no offence ment i dont know how forums are run and i dont envy you for two seconds,

More
12 Mar 2011 00:12 #4 by DJK (David Kinsella)
Valerie,

It's nice to see that eventually John has some backup with his onerous one man task. I hope all is well with yourself.

Dave

More
12 Mar 2011 09:09 #5 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
I second that Dave,
Great to see you back Valerie. Hope you are well.

Gavin

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Mar 2011 16:01 - 12 Mar 2011 16:02 #6 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re: Breaking down sections
Thanks guys ... Good to be back after a bit of a 'holiday' ;)

Following suggestions, we have made the following changes on the structure of the discussion forum :
  • The "Photo Competition" and "Competitions" sections have been merged under "Competitions"
  • The "Links" category has been taken down as there is a link for you to suggest Websites on the front page of the website
  • The "Cichlids" section has now 2 sub-categories : The African and The South American
  • The "Koi" and the "Coldwater Misc" have all been merged with the "Coldwater Fish" category
  • Water World and Atlantaquaria have been moved to a "Other sponsors" section as they are not really active
  • Added a new section under General for "Nature Conservation" so that you can have your Nature conversations there ! ;)

Any feedback (about these changes or new ones) is more than welcome.

Valerie :)
Last edit: 12 Mar 2011 16:02 by Valerie (Valerie). Reason: grammar

• David (David)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Mar 2011 16:35 #7 by David (David)
Replied by David (David) on topic Re: Breaking down sections
I personal think it makes for easier reading but you already new that

Regards