Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

PayPal

• David (David)
  • David (David)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2011 09:51 #1 by David (David)
PayPal was created by David (David)
Is it possible or worth considering getting a link to paypal

Not to sure how it works my thinking would be the same as EBay
The topic has been locked.
More
13 Mar 2011 11:35 - 13 Mar 2011 11:50 #2 by dar (darren curry)
Replied by dar (darren curry) on topic Re: PayPal
for wat? (i will assume you are not talking about live stock that would be madness) so for membership or equipment? for the latter, face to face is the only way to do it, if i post you something and you tell me it broke in transit, i'm on my way to your house (thanks for your postal address) to get my money and you best have it as the drive will infuriate me. keep your details private and collect and view the product before payment, plus we all love the smell of cash (even if it was in your back pocket and you farted all throughout the two hour drive) and some might not fancy it going through our lovely friend the bank

edit: see how early it is, i used paypal without going trough the bank, so scrap that last bit
edit:see how early it is, i used it just for payment not recieving payment so scrap my entire banking remark as i clearly don't know wtf i am talking about

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic
Last edit: 13 Mar 2011 11:50 by dar (darren curry).
  • stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2011 13:40 #3 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: PayPal

we all love the smell of cash (even if it was in your back pocket and you farted all throughout the two hour drive)

Whatever did happen to the Classy section of the Forum? This should be moved there.

Kev.
More
13 Mar 2011 14:05 #4 by dar (darren curry)

Whatever did happen to the Classy section of the Forum?quote]

ah we tried it Kev but it got deleted for lack of class and it was discrimintive towards Irish folk

p.s where is "preview message" gone?

• David (David)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2011 14:13 - 13 Mar 2011 14:13 #5 by David (David)
Replied by David (David) on topic Re: PayPal

for wat? (i will assume you are not talking about live stock that would be madness) so for membership or equipment?

For membership and equipment it could work obviously not live stock,
For arguments sack someone is looking to offload plant clippings or snails they would not longer have to ask for postage to be returned,because the person looking for the item could pay for the post upfront and in minutes,

Again if someone is selling the likes of shrimp and prepared to post there is no waiting around for a cheque or cash to arrive,and likewise for membership and most dry goods
Last edit: 13 Mar 2011 14:13 by David (David).
More
13 Mar 2011 14:17 #6 by dar (darren curry)
see Dar always has the negative goggles on, but you always have to picture the worst case scenario. i suppose it could work

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2011 14:25 #7 by stretnik (stretnik)
Who are we? are you a Moderator now?

Kev.
  • eire1978 (eire1978)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2011 14:27 #8 by eire1978 (eire1978)
Replied by eire1978 (eire1978) on topic Re: PayPal
i like the site the way it is,is it just me?
  • David (David)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2011 14:30 #9 by David (David)

Who are we? are you a Moderator now?

Kev.

Is this not a place for website suggestions
  • stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2011 14:32 #10 by stretnik (stretnik)
Knowing how things can go ballistic here I think it's best left alone, you'd end up with someone having a problem with payment , delivery or condition and it would end up filling the Forum with Questions, arguments, character assassinations etc. Even though these transactions are between the payee and payer.

Best left as it is imho.

Kev.
More
13 Mar 2011 14:32 #11 by dar (darren curry)
i might be Kev, undercover watching your every move

wrong side of bed huni???

• David (David)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2011 14:34 #12 by David (David)

Knowing how things can go ballistic here I think it's best left alone, you'd end up with someone having a problem with payment , delivery or condition and it would end up filling the Forum with Questions, arguments, character assassinations etc. Even though these transactions are between the payee and payer.

Best left as it is imho.

Kev.

Now thats a fair comment unlike are you a Moderator now?
  • stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2011 14:44 #13 by stretnik (stretnik)
David,

I didn't question the validity of your suggestion, on a Website that is specifically Transaction orientated it would be fine because that is what the site would be set up for, I feel that given the very personal nature of the Forum, ie, a lot of People on here know many of the members on a one to one basis,it would end up being vented here where it shouldn't be.

You are definitely in the right place to make a Website suggestion, I never said it wasn't, I just questioned the possibility of it being successful, no point posting if you don't expect replies.

Kev.
  • stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2011 14:48 #14 by stretnik (stretnik)
No, Dar,

Firstly, If I got out the wrong side of the Bed it'd be a miracle because it's beside a Wall.

Secondly, I'm just tired of decent Threads, as I have said before, being brought to a level of banality,
It happens all the time and is not fair on the Poster, I have once or twice before done this and realised how unfair it was.

End of.

Kev.
  • stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2011 14:51 - 13 Mar 2011 14:53 #15 by stretnik (stretnik)

Best left as it is imho.

Kev.

Now thats a fair comment unlike are you a Moderator now?

Can you explain what you mean? I don't get your comment David.

imho means In my honest opinion, that doesn't indicate Mod status, it is an opinion.

My question was referring to Dar's comment, "we tried" who are "we"?, I asked if HE was a Moderator

Kev.
Last edit: 13 Mar 2011 14:53 by stretnik (stretnik).
  • David (David)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2011 14:52 - 13 Mar 2011 14:56 #16 by David (David)
I welcome other people constructive comments and most certainly expect people to disagree with certain things i may post.Hence the reason i thought your previous comment about the way things can go ballistic so easy
Was a fair comment

comment removed no relavence my mix up
Last edit: 13 Mar 2011 14:56 by David (David).
More
13 Mar 2011 14:53 #17 by dar (darren curry)
kev i believe my post was a fair post albeit slightly humourous (maybe not to you on this day) where as yours would have discredited it with moaning

• David (David)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2011 14:55 #18 by David (David)
Ok i think this has all got a bit mixed up my own fault i believe

i thought you were directing the comment about being a moderator at me
  • stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2011 14:55 #19 by stretnik (stretnik)
Not humourous, just purile and thread padding rubbish imho.

Kev.
More
13 Mar 2011 14:56 #20 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: PayPal
This is becoming very facebook-ish perhaps enough's been said?
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
  • stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2011 14:56 #21 by stretnik (stretnik)
No, David, I should have used the quotes to make it clearer to whom I was referring so my fault too.

Kev.
  • Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2011 15:41 #22 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re: PayPal
Guys - Can we please stop this and stay on the subject ... Remember - a discussion forum is to discuss subjects and it's not a competition to see who is going to kill who (attack the poster, not the poster would be a way of putting this).
So - please stop this - it makes it very unpleasant for everyone. I don't want to have to send anyone on a little 'holiday', away from the website ... :)

Coming back to the subject ...

Paypal is a fantastic/handy/safe way of carrying out payments - however, there are not really any reasons to have it here - most of the transactions are done nationally and most people met each other to exchange goods/money. Plus, the 2 parties can agree to send money through PayPal if needed without the need of the website - all you need is an email address.

As a consequence, I don't think it'd be necessary nor an added-value to the website.

Thank you for suggesting it though.

Valerie
  • Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2011 15:57 #23 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re: PayPal

p.s where is "preview message" gone?

To answer your question, the "preview post" is now in the top toolbar, above your message - 2nd icon from the right (little window split in 2).

Hope this helps.
Valerie :)
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds