Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

amphibians.

• Clarke.. (Clarke..)
  • Clarke.. (Clarke..)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Mar 2011 21:56 #1 by Clarke.. (Clarke..)
amphibians. was created by Clarke.. (Clarke..)
Curious i was looking to see if any1 kept these on the forum so that i could learn about them even lizards and couldnt see a suitable spot to pop any questions, is there 1 will there ever be 1?? cheers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2011 22:23 #2 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

Curious i was looking to see if any1 kept these on the forum so that i could learn about them even lizards and couldnt see a suitable spot to pop any questions, is there 1 will there ever be 1?? cheers

You happen to be in am good place. :)

I keep loads of amphibians and reptiles, and on the forum there are others who keep amphibians and have had or still keep reptiles.

We also have the presence of the Herpetological Society of Ireland here as well.:)

What are you wanting to know?

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
14 Mar 2011 22:47 #3 by DJK (David Kinsella)
I'm sure Ian can guide you through the barriers of the HSI site, but this is a fishkeeper site.

Dave

• Clarke.. (Clarke..)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Mar 2011 23:14 #4 by Clarke.. (Clarke..)
Replied by Clarke.. (Clarke..) on topic Re: amphibians.
@igmillichip Cheers man i wouldnt mind learning a bit about them myself but main reason im curious is i have a friend who is big into them especially xenopus laevis and cant seem to find any decent forums for them :roll: and well im always going on about how good this 1 is for the info so he had asked me to pop the question to see if there was much for him on the forum so i would love it you could help us out whats the hsi all about???

@djk im fully aware this is a fish keeper forum :laugh: but theres many fish keeper forums out there with sections for amphibians , so i was curious if there was 1 hear ;)

More
14 Mar 2011 23:30 #5 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
The HSI are not here as an official incarnation (I just tend to hang around fish forums :) ), but there are still lots of people who have an interest and keep amphibians on here.

As for aquatic frogs..... I took the following pictures of the ITFS stand at a show last week, and they are kept by one of the fishkeepers.

These are such superb specimens that even people in the herp soc were talking about the quality and size of them.

I would say that anyone who can grow aquatic frogs like that is the person to chat to....and it is a fish-keeper from the ITFS.

I don't think that lizards have a place on this forum, but amphibians? well axolotls, aquatic frogs? they're amphibians and many fish keepers keep them.

If a forums starts expanding too much it can lose impact..... the ones in the UK (eg RFUK) gets too mad at times, but there are places where the 2 interests cross over.

If you want to ask anything of the HSI, then you are welcome to send me a pm.

ian

• Clarke.. (Clarke..)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Mar 2011 00:19 #6 by Clarke.. (Clarke..)
Brilliant them frogs are amazing to look at!! i agree with you on the lizard reptile side of these things but like you said axolotls ,and xenopus are strictly aquatic and in my opinion i think they deserve a spot ;) is there any chance the person who owns these frogs could give me a shout or if yourself ian could put me through to them as for the hsi ill pm you ;)

More
15 Mar 2011 10:32 - 15 Mar 2011 10:57 #7 by dar (darren curry)
Replied by dar (darren curry) on topic Re: amphibians.
yeah i agree a fish site is for fish, if social and rubbish got the boot from the mainstream, this idea should not be contemplated as i am sure there is plenty of sites designated for amphibians, if your plan is allowed i will be canvassing for a cat section

Dar how would you feel if you were told a fair few sponsors sold reptiles and amphibians and that it might be in their best interest to have such a section? i'd say ok, i see your point but could the section be a link to another site maybe you's could form a relationship with a sister site and direct folk back and forth

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic
Last edit: 15 Mar 2011 10:57 by dar (darren curry).

More
15 Mar 2011 11:58 #8 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: amphibians.
I would be quite content to extend the Freshwater Inverts section to include Amphibians - after all, neither is a Fish.
:silly:
Not too sure about adding Cats though (not being a feline enthusiast).
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
15 Mar 2011 12:32 #9 by dar (darren curry)
people will scream, the all too familar word "clique" if certain groups are catered for and not others

i'm not a cat man myself

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Mar 2011 13:42 #10 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re: amphibians.
lol - If you "click" enough on the internet, you'll find that the "amphibian clique" has evolved over the centuries. I just heard Heston Blumenthal saying that the Tudors considered frogs as fish ...

And then again, you have frogfish, catfish ... :)

So, yes, I think we can add Amphibians to a rebranded "Inverts and Amphibians", but, no, we won't have a cat section !!! :)

But, you all can be "lounge lizards" and chat us up all you want, I don't think we should have a reptile section. :P

(Thought I'd play with words today, please forgive me.)

Valerie :)

• Clarke.. (Clarke..)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Mar 2011 14:52 #11 by Clarke.. (Clarke..)
I think cats is a ridiculous comparison :laugh: but seriously the 2 species i have mentioned above xenopus and axolotls, are strictly aquatic creature that are very popular i might add its nothing like cats and dogs alot of people have these mixed into community tanks and id say there is a lot of people on this forum that keep these and would love to see a section to post on them
(or old section extended to share) ;) fingers crossed something will come out of it

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Mar 2011 15:06 #12 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re: amphibians.
JohnH has already changed the category on the forum - we now have a "Freshwater Inverts and Amphibians" section here

Thanks JohnH. :cool:

Valerie

More
15 Mar 2011 16:38 #13 by dar (darren curry)
JohnH? tut tut tut, not even a proper debate or vote. how do obtain membership for the clique and do i get a welcome basket of fruit or cosmetics as god knows i could do with the latter. i'l understand if there is an initiation beating (i'm sure the will be a long queue)

ah i do agree, only because some are kept in fish tanks, some wit fish, so i guess i'l just have to let this one slide

edit: the clique is a fictional entity that does not exist

• Clarke.. (Clarke..)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Mar 2011 17:55 #14 by Clarke.. (Clarke..)
Great stuff ;) i was wondering what the clique was :laugh: i will start to take advantage of this new section ;)

More
15 Mar 2011 20:19 #15 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
@Dar.....you're sounding like an old codger now. :)

Did you know that some fishkeepers have moved over to the 'darker side' of the forums as they have also got into dart frogs? well, let's get them back here.

But, I suppose a frog is a lot more different to a fish than are coral or shrimp or anemones or even amazon sword plants.

My guess is that you are a wannabe frog-keeper and wanting protection from the darker side of life for your own sanity. :laugh:

@Paul...ummm..Clarke....ummm.Paul....clarke? what's going on? a change of name. Now that is confusing.

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds