Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Forum

More
31 Mar 2011 22:43 #1 by DJK (David Kinsella)
Forum was created by DJK (David Kinsella)
Having being a member of this excellent Forum for the last 2 1/2 years or so, I'd like to put forward the expertise of my brother Séan to the general upkeep of same.

He's a graduate of DCU Glasnevin in computer applications(1999) and has worked for some of the leading financial institutions of the world.

I'm only suggesting this because I recognise the onerous task of Admin, and the general lack in simple things
like updating the clock etc etc.

Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Mar 2011 23:00 #2 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re: Forum
The rest of your question should be addressed by Darragh but as far as the site clock is concerned, a request has gone out to the server people so that they update it for us. :)

Thank you - Valerie :)

More
01 Apr 2011 00:01 #3 by DJK (David Kinsella)
Replied by DJK (David Kinsella) on topic Re: Forum
Thanks Valerie.

I'm only putting forward this as things seem to happen in 'bursts' rather than general upkeep.
Maybe Darragh will see this post?

Dave

More
01 Apr 2011 11:25 #4 by dar (darren curry)
Replied by dar (darren curry) on topic Re: Forum
no offence to THE MAN but the site needs someone who can run it and has the time to do so, it has been riddled with problems as far back as i can remember and still is (i'm constantly logged out)

time to put up the oul slippered feet Darragh, and enjoy the vast millions you have made from running this place :laugh:

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Apr 2011 11:46 - 01 Apr 2011 11:47 #5 by Valerie (Valerie)
... Thought I'd make a few things clearer :

This website is generously put to the disposal of us , fish keepers, free by Darragh.
He looks after the webhosting side of things and deeper website problems if there are any.
JohnH has also kindly giving his time in order to keep the forum and the competitions going.
I have been back for 2 or 3 weeks in order to help John and Darragh out.
There is no compensation whatsoever for the time spent on this website.
As you might have gathered, this is all voluntary while we are all having a real life. If there are urgent problems on the website, all efforts are being made to sort it quickly.
If there are minor issues, we sort them when we get a chance - this might explain these 'bursts'.
If this site is "riddled" with problems, we'd love to hear about them ;)

Thank you - Valerie
Last edit: 01 Apr 2011 11:47 by Valerie (Valerie). Reason: Grammar and repeating myself

More
01 Apr 2011 11:58 #6 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: Forum
Thanks Valerie.
I would just like to add that there is NO payment made by anyone for this Forum, Darragh does not receive anything from anyone and any benefits from Sponsors goes directly to Forum and Club members.
The Competition prizes are given generously by the Sponsors directly to Competition winners - likewise with the discounts given!
As Administrators we also receive nothing - other than the pleasure (?) of trying to keep the wheels of the Forum oiled and the very same discount everyone else receives...it certainly doesn't help me to get votes for my excellent photography Competition entries month after month!!!

Dar, I accept your comment was (he says hopefully) firmly 'tongue-in-cheek' but a response was neccessary for anyone who might have taken your observation as gospel and actually believed it.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
01 Apr 2011 11:59 #7 by dar (darren curry)
clock
logging out
sometimes there is only one thread per page, depending on how i navigate trough the site
JohnH :laugh:
the social and rubbish is banished
the photo comp is a disaster at the moment (due to the new way of entering them)

anyone else, want to add?

dont get me wrong, it is a grand oul site but if you want problems pointed out there you go they are ones i encountered since the hacking (ok you can scrap one or two of them :laugh: )

on the cash that was a joke, hence the " :laugh: "

More
01 Apr 2011 12:11 #8 by louis (David Knowles)
Replied by louis (David Knowles) on topic Re: Forum
Just my two cent worth...the site has been invaluable to me in my fish keeping efforts and any problems encountered are negligable.I also think that there should be some kind of donation system and I definitely think anybody advertising stuff for sale should pay a fee.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Apr 2011 12:13 #9 by Valerie (Valerie)
1./ Clock - The website software depends on the hosting server. As I have mentioned above, there is a request out in order to fix this - it's an hour out, hardly a major problem ...
2./ Logging out - The discussion forum session lifetime is set @ 60 min. If it took you more than 1 hour to word a post, then yes, it'll have logged you out. The best advice I can give is to copy the content of your post before you hit submit, just in case something happens with your connection or otherwise.
3./ One thread per page - can you please explain ?

Thanks - Valerie

More
01 Apr 2011 12:30 #10 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: Forum
Dar:
"the photo comp is a disaster at the moment (due to the new way of entering them)"

It's just the same as ever was for the Competition - the picture being submitted needs to be sent as an 'attachment' to the Photocomp email.
The slight difficulty is with the different (slightly) method of posting a picture to a post - but even then most contributors have navigated around it fairly well.
I'll look further into this later and amend the guidelines for anyone still having problems - but don't forget, if all else fails the images can be sent to
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
with a note explaining the situation and they can then be entered using the Club's photobucket account.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
01 Apr 2011 12:32 #11 by dar (darren curry)
the old system, i went to the home page, clicked "more posts" now from there i get one maybe two threads per page. now i go to home page, forum and use recent topics

i get by but it did put me off the site for a bit (i am too old for change)

the log out might actually be my pc so i will retract that

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Apr 2011 12:34 #12 by Valerie (Valerie)

the old system

... so ... all is well then :)

Valerie

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Apr 2011 13:46 - 01 Apr 2011 14:14 #13 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Forum
Me too Louise.

Kev.
Last edit: 01 Apr 2011 14:14 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
01 Apr 2011 13:49 - 01 Apr 2011 18:24 #14 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Just picking up on Valerie's comments.......
From an outsider looking in and speaking as a moderator on a larger global forum. I think you need to cut the moderators some slack here guys, it is a thankless task and no-one gets paid to listen to the moans and the winges, constructive criticism is always welcomed though. as for upgrades this is a vital and necessary move to keep to the fore with new technology and board management (anti spam being one facet that has always been the bane of forums). The guys on here are doing a good job in providing answers were needed and give up their time and energy to do so for FREE so as we can all enjoy and share in this hobby of ours. It takes a lot more effort than folk realise to keep ahead of all the janitorial work involved. You will always get teething troubles as new facets are added, these take time to sort out as they try to apease folks concerns but having said that, and when upgrades become necessary, the changes made will sure as hell not be all things to all men. Take it as it is, it costs you nothing. Again from experience I think they (Mods and Admins alike) should be congratulated and commended for their efforts.

for what its worth
P
Last edit: 01 Apr 2011 18:24 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

More
01 Apr 2011 14:00 #15 by dar (darren curry)

I think they should be congratulated and commended for their efforts.

i think today should be moderators day, and we should put it forward for a national holiday

happy moderators day, and thanks for all the hard work and keeping us well entertained

cheers, dar

• eire1978 (eire1978)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Apr 2011 14:54 #16 by eire1978 (eire1978)
Replied by eire1978 (eire1978) on topic Re: Forum
i think its ur day dar april the 1st(fool) lol

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Apr 2011 14:57 #17 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Forum
Now now, thrash the thread not the poster :silly: :blink: :lol: :lol: :laugh: :laugh:

Kev

More
01 Apr 2011 15:04 #18 by dar (darren curry)

i think its ur day dar april the 1st(fool) lol

ouch :( lol

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds