Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Forum Auctions - Opinions?

More
10 Apr 2011 15:33 #1 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Don't know which section this belongs to, so I stuck it here, Johnh feel free to re-locate.

This would be ideal for a poll, but I don't know how to start a poll .....

What is your opinion on forum auctions?#

Personally I don't like them and the few that have taken place were badly organised and confusion reigned at the end of each as to who won etc.

IF there are to be forum auctions, can we finalise some rules. Here are a few suggestions as a starter:
  • Photograph of fish / item should be provided in original posting.
  • All bids must be public in the thread.
  • Time period after auction that item will be held for collection / payment must be stated.
  • A clear forum time and date must be given at the outset for the auction to end.
  • Any queries must be responded to within 12 hours

Another suggestion would be to use ebay.ie and notify forum members of the listing on the thread on the forums and let ebay take care of all the techy stuff, automated bidding, payment etc.

Any comments?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Apr 2011 15:51 #2 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Forum Auctions - Opinions?
Does the normal guarantee apply to the Purchaser of the Fish?

Kev.

More
10 Apr 2011 16:05 #3 by JohnH (John)
Moved to 'Website Suggestions' - although it's hardly appropriate there either.

I'll see if it's possible to set up a poll for this.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Apr 2011 16:26 - 10 Apr 2011 16:28 #4 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re: Forum Auctions - Opinions?

Another suggestion would be to use ebay.ie and notify forum members of the listing on the thread on the forums and let ebay take care of all the techy stuff, automated bidding, payment etc.

Personally, I think that the suggestion above would be the best way to do it. Especially in the case of an auction being held across several forums. I know the targeted population is rather limited, but this particular system would probably limit timing issues, and people possibly falling out over it. :)

Valerie
Last edit: 10 Apr 2011 16:28 by Valerie (Valerie).

More
10 Apr 2011 16:55 - 10 Apr 2011 16:56 #5 by JohnH (John)
Unfortunately setting a poll isn't possible with this new format.
But posts can be counted after an agreed amount of days anyway...so we can regard your answers as votes.

John

ITFS member.

Last edit: 10 Apr 2011 16:56 by JohnH (John). Reason: spelling mistake

More
10 Apr 2011 17:00 #6 by Acara (Dave Walters)
I think this needs to be formailised a bit more.In an ideal world,it would be okay as it is,but I have,for about a week,believed I had the highest bid,only to find out a couple of minutes ago,that this is not the case,as a bid was sent in private.I am however,quite relieved,as right now I don't have the most suitable set-up to house it for the next few weeks,and the other bidder will provide a good home.If I wasn't a laid back sort,I could be getting quite mad about it right now.
I think rules are needed,and a bit more transparancy.Unfortunately.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
10 Apr 2011 17:10 #7 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
I must agree with the original suggestions from Daragh and add - that anyone starting an auction must state if it is also being run on another forum.

The most recent one was run with no rules and no clarity and no responses. It's lucky that Acara (and possibly others) ARE so laid back about it

The eBay option is a good suggestion as they have all their own well established rules and controls

More
10 Apr 2011 17:12 #8 by andrewo (andrew)
I think having auctions on site will spice things up. Havent taken part in it before. BUT as acara said no matter what rules and guidelines we inpose; it is still ultimately the sellers integrity we have to rely on at the end. Imagine having made bids and bids only to find out you have lost out!!:crazy:

More
10 Apr 2011 17:13 #9 by JohnH (John)
To 'Very Cool' Acara.
This was a disaster from start to finish and depending on the opinions raised this will not be allowed repetition.

There is a pretty specific stipulation in the rules which says that if any item is offered for sale here but is also offered elsewhere then this must be made known.
I really don't think that Forum Auctions should be allowed to circumnavigate this - even though this was set on the AV Sponsor page.

Speaking very personally (and with a degree of discipline) this should never have been allowed in the first place (I blame the Administrator myself!!!).
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

John

ITFS member.

More
10 Apr 2011 17:16 - 10 Apr 2011 17:19 #10 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Why can't you employ some third party software and either integrate it into this site or work in tandem with it.
There are many web auction software packages out there...
The software manages all the transactions and payments....but you would need an admin for this.
Just a thought, then there would be very little disputes.
ATB
P
Last edit: 10 Apr 2011 17:19 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

More
10 Apr 2011 23:00 #11 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
ok i seem to have stirred up a hornets nest on this one, imho if a sponser is going to run an auction, which in theory i think is a good idea, they must set out how it is to be run, how to place bids (by pm or in public) and to be fair they must monitor especially if it is run across a couple of forums, not just on one of them... and to be honest if they dont have the time to run it, which is a fair point they should suspend it till they have the time.. also i think it should be moderated by someone on the admin of the forum it is run on to stop situations like the current one occuring again and ensuring some degree of communication with someone looking for it, heck my pm for the current auction hasnt even been opened yet even though it was sent 10 days ago and i know others may have responded like myself with pm's but i would have liked the oppertunity to counter bid isnt that the point of an auction. just my point of view and i do not think it is being cheeky to ask a moderator in a situation like this to investigate the lack of communication. just my opinion and not trying to slam anyone or cause controversy but if they can in this busy period for them check another forum why not this one???

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
10 Apr 2011 23:10 - 10 Apr 2011 23:17 #12 by JohnH (John)
Discussion RE the previous auction is suspended until the sponsor responds.
This thread is for future auctions and should they be held.
Please refrain from bringing the old one up until the response is forthcoming.

John
And, whatever anyone does or says on any other forum is of no matter here, if you have a grievance air it personally, the phone number and email address is there in the Sponsors Section.
I understand you feel angry about this, it's only natural.

ITFS member.

Last edit: 10 Apr 2011 23:17 by JohnH (John). Reason: added postscript

More
10 Apr 2011 23:36 #13 by joey (joe watson)
if you go ebay or similar auction site it saves confusion etc and allows everyone to see current highest bid. saves alot of mess and (potential) grievance/ plus it is well regulated, only problem is that it is open to anyone and not just forum members to whom these auctions are aimed at...

no way of having a real-time bidding type box thingy mi-jiggy yoke set up for auctions on here so just quick short replys with a bidding amount should do (ie people who post a bid ONLY put a number as a reply) at least it would be public and hopefully not make the thread too messy. maybe an item offered for auction on this forum shouldn't be auctioned elsewhere and vise-versa is one way to keep posted bids up to date

More
11 Apr 2011 13:45 #14 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Run the auction on here but make it very clear that
1. - The auction is open to just this forum.(to avoid any cross overs and mis haps).
2. - The auction item (ie.fish),2 pics of the fish is shown with a brief description.
3. - Announce a time for when the auction will commence and allow people the opportunity to ask any questions they may have prior to the start.(ie.allow a week or so).
4. - The auction commences at a set time such as 6pm or 7pm and runs for one hour max.
People place their bid inside this hour.The sponsor or seller now needs to ensure they are online throughout the auction as soon as it commences. No Pm's allowed to the seller. All bids are public.
5. - Each bid is an offer of a monetary amount and no questions or comments allowed. Any questions about the fish should be asked before the auction (see point 2 above)
6. - The auction ceases exactly an hour after the commencement.

Winner is the final post and the thread is locked immediately after to avoid any comments etc.

Gavin

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Apr 2011 14:53 - 11 Apr 2011 14:54 #15 by paul .... (paul ....)
Replied by paul .... (paul ....) on topic Re: Forum Auctions - Opinions?

Run the auction on here but make it very clear that
1. - The auction is open to just this forum.(to avoid any cross overs and mis haps).
2. - The auction item (ie.fish),2 pics of the fish is shown with a brief description.
3. - Announce a time for when the auction will commence and allow people the opportunity to ask any questions they may have prior to the start.(ie.allow a week or so).
4. - The auction commences at a set time such as 6pm or 7pm and runs for one hour max.
People place their bid inside this hour.The sponsor or seller now needs to ensure they are online throughout the auction as soon as it commences. No Pm's allowed to the seller. All bids are public.
5. - Each bid is an offer of a monetary amount and no questions or comments allowed. Any questions about the fish should be asked before the auction (see point 2 above)
6. - The auction ceases exactly an hour after the commencement.

Winner is the final post and the thread is locked immediately after to avoid any comments etc.

Gavin

i agree with this post ,its by far the best way to run things ,no confusion no messing ;) all except it only running for an hour thats far to short a lot of people who are intrested in this could be working or anything nobody knows other peoples schedules how important they are etc... but these people deserve just as much right as any1 else to have time to log on for a fare chance of a bid ;) in my opinion 24 hrs would be perfect that way every1 through out that day would have had a chance to bid at some stage ;) AND CANT STRESS IT ENOUGH THE WINNER SHOULD BE ANNOUNCED PUBLICLY SO EVERY1 KNOWS IT WASNT JUST A PUBLICITY STUNT
Last edit: 11 Apr 2011 14:54 by paul .... (paul ....).

More
11 Apr 2011 16:20 #16 by joey (joe watson)
also a set timeframe to collect (1 week or whatever) should be stated in the start of the auction, and if the winning bidder does not collect the item within thre alloted time it should be offered to the next highest bidder

More
11 Apr 2011 18:51 #17 by andrewo (andrew)
I agree with Gavins guidelines above; but usually they(sellers) wld want to place it in as many sites/places as possible to ensure a good price is obtained.

If so; then it is hard to regulate as one cannot follow the bids everywhere. However i do understand they would want to get a high a price as possible for it. I mean wouldnt you?? Imagine you are auctioning your fish at starting price of 10 when you are hoping to sell it for near 100??what if bids reach only 20 or 30 ? Can they have minimal price set before a specimen be sold? then again this would not be true auction then?!?!!?

As John says....not easy to regulate here by any means.

More
11 Apr 2011 20:39 #18 by Pat (Pat Coogan)
I think Gavins guidelines are an excellent starting point. The seller could state the starting price of the auction. This would ensure they achieve at least a fair price and its up to the bidders whether or not they want to up the price.
Pat

More
11 Apr 2011 21:51 #19 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Some very valid points have been raised.Only thing I would point out with Gavins rules,is that not everyone has the luxury of a 9-5 Mon-Fri job,but as he says,they're just suggestions,and need to be fiddled around a bit to get a set of rules to suit the majority.
Unfortunately it has got to this stage,it would have been nice to have had the auction run as it was intended,just a bit of fun.Fair play to Ian for giving it a go,but,alas,as usual when money is involved,things can go a little bit pear shaped.A shame really.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds