Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

camera question

More
04 Sep 2011 00:16 #1 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Canon EOS 1000D or Canon EOS 1100D has anyone these types of cameras and how would you rate them ?
I really want to get myself a good camera , these 2 seem to fit hat i need as i dont expect to use other than for my fish pics.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Sep 2011 00:22 - 04 Sep 2011 00:23 #2 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: camera question
Can't go wrong with Canon, I bought this, www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5556076/art/canon/...f-s-18-135-is-l.html a while back and I love it, since then I bought Canon Macro and Tele-photo Lenses, great Camera, don't know the 1100d but reviews give it the Thumbs up !

Kev.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2011 00:23 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
04 Sep 2011 12:18 #3 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Ya i was thinking that cannon are pretty good all around i dont think i need the very best one though as its only gonna get some use.Thanks for reply.

More
04 Sep 2011 14:08 #4 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
wont ever buy anything from pixmania again. great prices, but when something goes wrong you are screwed

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Sep 2011 14:13 #5 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: camera question
I got mine Here Great Shop run by lovely People.

Kev.

More
04 Sep 2011 22:57 #6 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
Canon or Nikon, it's like eheim or fluval, both top of the range, personal preference. You get what you pay for.

I prefer Canon and Eheim.

Go for the best spec that fits your budget :)

More
05 Sep 2011 16:30 #7 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Well i have got my new camera now so its all sorted :-) They did not have the Cannon i wanted in stock and as i am impatient i went for a Nikon D3100 with 15-55 kit.I am charging the battery up no as i speak and will be snapping like a mad man later he he :crazy:
Sorry in advance for all the pics i am gonna post :woohoo:
I will post pics of all my tanks tonight if i get time and nice shots :-)
Thanks for everyones advise again.

More
05 Sep 2011 16:49 #8 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
Lookin forward to that ceech. Keep thr pics comin fast. :cheer:

Follow me up to Carlow

More
05 Sep 2011 16:51 #9 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
If ya can give me a tip to speed up charging i will be snapping now lol
I have a job to do in a bit anyways i am making up breeding caves :-) have the slate silcone and the water saw all got, heading out to my mate soon to get a cutting.Have an order in from a few local pet stores for them :-)

More
05 Sep 2011 17:05 #10 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I'll be awaiting them pictures.

As for charging the camera....them Nikon batteries last a long time once charged: so very few excuses left for lack of photos.

I'm a Nikon man; there's little difference between the equivalent Nikon or Canon cameras (each has its ups and downs). I go for Nikon as all my old film camera lens and flash guns work on them (and that is some pretty ancient equipment).

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
05 Sep 2011 17:18 #11 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Sounds good :-) i am hoping you may be able to give me tips then and help me to improve the quaility of the pictures i will be taking :-)

More
05 Sep 2011 21:35 #12 by smitas5 (Marius Smitas)
If you switch vibration reduction off, you'll save a lot on battery. If you use tripod you should switch it off anyway, I believe this should be mentioned in the manual. (VR)
I'm like Ian shoot NIKON, even tho have nothing against Canon. They are good cameras, so is pentax, Olympus, Sony, sigma and couple more, once you stay at entry level DSLR. NIKON suits me as they kept original mount when digital SLR was introduced. So I can use old stuff :)

Congratulations on the purchase and good luck with photography, it might become another hobby on its own :)
If it does, local camera clubs are amazing. You can learn a lot there.

Looking forward to your pictures.

More
05 Sep 2011 22:26 #13 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien)

I got mine Here Great Shop run by lovely People.

Kev.

Couldn't agree more- saw the same camera on the net for a bit cheaper, but for peace of mind, as well as supporting local business, bough it here. In the end I got €40 worth of extras thrown in, as well as superb one-to-one advice. Great shop.

L

More
05 Sep 2011 22:55 #14 by DJK (David Kinsella)
As has been mentioned here before especially by John H, it's so so important to support Irish shops whether LFS or not. Buy a camera or a filter on 'the net', then have a problem with same down the line and see the problems you'll encounter trying to get recourse. Shop local, build up a rapport with shops and reap the benefits of the after sale service. Works for me.

Sorry for off-topic.

Dave

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds