Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

nikon d 40

More
26 Sep 2011 02:46 #1 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Any one have any experience with the nikon d 40 been.out a.few years i know but is the cameta any.use buying it with a bag full of.extras 3 lense s tripod bag neck strap so any one whos has or had this camera please let me know what you s.think.or thought.of.it.

at the end of the day it becomes nite

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Sep 2011 08:27 #2 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: nikon d 40
hey Craig,
Have a read , they are a good Camera.

reviews.cnet.com/Nikon_D40_w_18mm_to_55m...6501_7-32156779.html

Kev.

More
26 Sep 2011 09:16 #3 by smitas5 (Marius Smitas)
its a decent camera, had one before, if you are not planning on using old lenses, then it will work.
other than that don't be tricked by 3 lenses and do some research regarding all lenses included, decide what are you going to do with the camera and what lens will you use or what range will you use.. for aquarium macro is the way to go 100% (my opinion)
consider option of camera body only and choose lens what you would like after.

sorry if this confused things even more

More
26 Sep 2011 18:23 #4 by des (des)
Replied by des (des) on topic Re: nikon d 40
I have no experience with anything other than a Nikon D60, as it is My first Camera...
I was always advised to go with a Nikon and I'm sure the D40 would be a great buy
just make sure You have a decent 18-55mm standard Lens and if You could also get a 105mm Macro Lens, then You'll be laughing...
I totally agree with smitas5 in saying that "Macro is the way to go 100%" especially for detailed close up shots...

Des

More
26 Sep 2011 18:38 #5 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Balls just been out bid for it.thanks a mill lads.just seen in.argos the nikon.d 3000 is on special very tempted i must say

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Sep 2011 19:10 #6 by stretnik (stretnik)
Craig,

Try second hand models in Gunn's Cameras, Birminghams etc , they test all trade ins before accepting them and you can get a good deal.

I love Gunns as they are Family owned and are Hands on.

Kev.

More
26 Sep 2011 19:59 #7 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Do they ship kev sorry for late reply phones dead on the miss s blackberry buttons to small lol out at dinner will be back on in a while thanks for the tip man

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Sep 2011 20:10 #8 by stretnik (stretnik)
Don't think so mate, you need to call them for info and what's available.

Kev.

More
26 Sep 2011 20:34 #9 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
They're only up the road in dublin.
I haven't been to Gunn's for years (as it is off my beaten track when in town), but I always venture into Bermingham cameras, Conns Cameras and Dublin Camera exchange and head for the S/H stuff.....there are some great bargains on these types of Digital SLRs.

But always check out the prices of new cameras in places like argos first....and don't be tempted by 'bargains' such as "...was 1300 euro, now only 300 euro....".

The D40 is a sound camera, and S/H ones would be dirt cheap.

Most old Nikon lenses (that are still around) will fit (no pre-AI from over 30 years ago will fit though), and you'll get full AutoFocus with AF-I, AF-S, G,VR, DX autofocus lenses (that is the same as the D60, D3000).
But AF, AF-D autofocus will work but not as autofocus on the D40 (nor D60 or D3000).

Then on the manual focus lenses, AI, AI-S, E, AI-P will all fit and work as intended (although some may not permit certain auto functions) ie as manual focus lenses.

The D70 (an older model) is a lot more flexible with regard to lenses, and can be got for as little of 150 euro (s/h) in town.

On my Nikon DSLR, the 2 macro lenses are over 30 years old..... and one is worked via bellows (for almost microscopic work). The one lens cost uber pounds back in 1980....so I'm not going to buy a new one of them even though it is damaged pretty badly. !!

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
26 Sep 2011 21:18 #10 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
oh alright thought kev said they where in birminghing lol silly me.cant beat the picture quality of a slr,especially now coz i will be keeping shrimp the little details matter.

More
26 Sep 2011 22:17 - 26 Sep 2011 22:20 #11 by smitas5 (Marius Smitas)
I would try adverts.ie you can ask questions there and make offers. pretty good deals up there.

as for 18-55 lens I wouldn't class that as a recommended lens. Actually none of the kit lenses on non-pro cameras are basically very cheap thailand stuff, performing very poorly in low light.

my opinion would be to go with something like NIKON D200, D300 (still pricy), D90, even D80 all of these will work with older autofocus lenses.

regarding very old manual lenses.. with lower level (example D90) you will not get aperture or shutter speed priority option and will only let you use manual, when with D300 it will let you on A or S.

as you see you can get Nikon D80 for a decent price..

or
Last edit: 26 Sep 2011 22:20 by smitas5 (Marius Smitas). Reason: adding a link

More
27 Sep 2011 19:03 #12 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
The D200 is a great camera....and still holding its price.

Of the Nikon digitals to avoid like the plague....the D1 and the D100. The D1 was the best thing since sliced bread, but is well outdated. The D100 is a rugged camera and very good, but batteries are a problem.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds