Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Amquel, Prime & Amolock.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • stretnik (stretnik)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Nov 2011 20:45 - 27 Nov 2011 20:55 #1 by stretnik (stretnik)
Amquel, Prime & Amolock. was created by stretnik (stretnik)
Has anyone any views on the use of these products, I know, Water changes etc sort these problems out as does proper cycling of the Aquarium but I would like to know if these are just Snake Oil or true remedies in an emergency.. The only downside I've heard of is the fact that measuring Ammonia etc is difficult as it interferes with the Test Kits.

Kev.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2011 20:55 by stretnik (stretnik).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2011 21:28 #2 by grgeorge (George Rahmani)
I have Amquel+ but I haven't used it in ages mostly because it smells really really bad :sick: ...Its tucked away now with a plastic bag tightly wrapped around it in case it somehow leaked everywhere (literally my worst nightmare).

I haven't thrown it away though because I like to think that it does work in emergencies. If the ammonia was high I would do a 30% change and then add Amquel to the entire tank after and I think it might have saved a few fish. I'd check the ammonia again the next day and it would be back down to near normal....now whether this is the water change or the Amquel I'm not sure, but it was probably a combination of the two....

More
02 Dec 2011 01:42 #3 by Gavin (Gavin)
hate amolock always have.Used to use it on an idustrial scale years ago and lost a lot of fish.it "locks down" ammonia and "makes it safe" however you still test positive for ammonia.so if you have used it you never really have the ability to test your water properly so bah.Prime is my fave water conditioner..big bang for a buck (5mls does 200l) the nearest and dearest is 37lfor 5ml..and does a better job so it is a bit of a no brainer for me.

dont make me come over there.

More
02 Dec 2011 13:26 #4 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

hate amolock always have.Used to use it on an idustrial scale years ago and lost a lot of fish.it "locks down" ammonia and "makes it safe" however you still test positive for ammonia.so if you have used it you never really have the ability to test your water properly so bah.Prime is my fave water conditioner..big bang for a buck (5mls does 200l) the nearest and dearest is 37lfor 5ml..and does a better job so it is a bit of a no brainer for me.

5mls for 200L i shall me gettin some prime that is crazy im usen aqua safe think it is 10m per 20L (back off bottle)

sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
02 Dec 2011 15:05 #5 by Gavin (Gavin)
yeah ditch that stuff as we say "prime is for pros!"

dont make me come over there.

More
02 Dec 2011 15:24 #6 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
fair play gav ill be lookin in to that when i run out

sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
02 Dec 2011 15:36 #7 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
sorry kev for going off topic but is prime east to get ?

and price wise wats it like id say it would be good as in u are only usen a bit by nit so will last very long

sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Dec 2011 15:42 - 02 Dec 2011 15:43 #8 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Amquel, Prime & Amolock.
If you check out the Fish Fora in the USA you'll see it's their favourite, price wise, it's expensive and I don't know if it interferes with taking test readings but a lot of People believe in it. And, yes, It's easy to get, FFF and Seahorse have it in stock.

Kev.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2011 15:43 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
02 Dec 2011 16:55 #9 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
thanks very much kev id like to find out if it interferes with taking test readings as there would be no point but sure if u are gettin more use out off it is it not wat everyone should be usen and not spending more money and gettin lese uses as in aqua safe?

sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
02 Dec 2011 20:32 - 02 Dec 2011 21:38 #10 by DJK (David Kinsella)
Well, this sort of topic has come up before. All I know from previous responses on this forum as regards 'Prime' conditioner is that it's top notch, and that's coming from professionels. Maybe a search for the doubters will suffice. I've used it before and never had a problem with it.

As regards false ammonium readings with same; I'd suggest reading their webpage.

Dave
www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Prime.html

www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Prime.html
Last edit: 02 Dec 2011 21:38 by DJK (David Kinsella).

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Dec 2011 21:30 #11 by stretnik (stretnik)
Ok, I just read the Page, I can't find any references to Testing.

Kev.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Dec 2011 21:57 #12 by stretnik (stretnik)
Thanks Dave.

Kev.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds