Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

is this a standard boyu issue

More
17 Dec 2011 16:37 #1 by Jambomac (James McConville)
Ok lads did a water change today and in doing so filled my skimmer plug with water.

Don't worry wasn't plugged in at the time it was the standard boyu skimmer that you get with the tank, anyway decided unscrew this 3 pin plug and only 2 wires, so i think must be a bit of a death trap waiting to happen.

I didn't buy this from one of the sponsors but a shop that has been on telly a couple of months ago and i don't think everything is legit?

Anybody else have such issues or is this a counterfeit boyu equipment?

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.”

quote Bruce Lee

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2011 18:27 #2 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I don't know specifically about that piece of equipment, but most aquarium equipment is and should be 2-pin wires only (and placed into a 3 pin plug).

Having any piece of equipment attached to a fish tank with an earth attachment is potentially lethal unless the tank is specifically constructed with the water having the same earth potential.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
17 Dec 2011 21:49 #3 by Jambomac (James McConville)
Well if that's the way it should be i can't argue presumed it would have to have an earth.

Thanks ian for your endless knowledge ;)

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.”

quote Bruce Lee

More
17 Dec 2011 21:56 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I have a boyu system, but not that piece of equipment.....else I could have given a simple Yes or No.

There were some fish-keepers years ago who thought that it would be a good safety measure to place an earth connection to their iron-framed tank. Sounded like a good idea but if they happen to be touching the tank frame whilst their hands were in the water with only the slightest of an electrical leak from the heater then they'd have been toast in an instant.
Always a good anecdotal thing that doesn't seem to affect modern fish tanks too much.

But, I think that safety and fish-keeping is something that not everyone even asks about.

Ian

More
17 Dec 2011 23:27 #5 by m4r10 (m4r10)
I'd say you never bought aquarium equipment from the continent. I have a heater with the european plug which is "clamped" by an irish plug, so they're not using the earth connection either. I didn't know the logic behind it but do now. Thanks Ian!

More
18 Dec 2011 10:12 #6 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I've sometimes got the odd piece of equipment that has a 2 pin plug....it is pain to then have to re-wire a new plug, but better than plugging it into a dodgy shaver-adapter.

Normally Boyu make some good stuff (especially the 80 litre and upwards tanks), but I have one of the small Boyu tanks (30 odd litres), and it has a major design fault which is dangerous......the tank has an overhead filter system, and the spraybar is pants: the slits for the spray are set on directly each other on either side of the spray bar and can easily spray water upwards out of the tank OR sidewards straight into the light housing. The small flap over the filter area does nothing to stop this, and it doesn't make much difference how you have the spray bar set.
I fixed mine by using a spraybar off an internal filter.

Maybe a thread on aquarium safety would be good....in general, the equipment is good but from electrical equipment, to weight, to toxic medications, to the risk of divorce or being sued by flat owners below you.....there are lots of hazards in fish keeping.

Safety instructions on some equipment are simply not readable....some mad translation to chinese in some cases.

ian

More
10 Dec 2015 11:11 #7 by robert (robert carter)
just make sure your house fuse board is RCBs and not the old type screw in fuses then your totally safe

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds