Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Aqueon Aquarium Gravel Cleaner Water Changer

More
17 Jan 2012 22:37 - 20 Feb 2012 12:07 #1 by dave k (david)
lads came across this to help with water changes/cleaning, have one on order(del around 25 jan) from ebay for around €80 all in. has any body got one and if so how good is it,if no one has one i will give full feedback on it in the next few weeks. (Aqueon Fish Tank Aquarium Gravel Cleaner Water Changer)..

.·´¯`·.. >`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸>
>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸>
Last edit: 20 Feb 2012 12:07 by dave k (david).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2012 23:42 #2 by louis (David Knowles)
Let's know how ya get on bibsun. I have a normal gravel cleaner that siphons the water from the tank into a bucket. In what way is this different. I'm all for labour saving devices

More
18 Jan 2012 09:16 #3 by dave k (david)
have a look on youtube goes through every thing about it .....louis
it comes in 25 meter and 50 meter lengths...

dave

>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸>

More
18 Jan 2012 11:44 #4 by Blue Land (Brian McGeever)
I had used the normal gravel cleaner with a number of 20 Litre containers for years. Back breaking!!!

What I've done is remove the existing tube and put a length of garden hose on which takes the water to a drain outside the house. Works a dream and no more back breaking containers to move.

Works for both my tanks, one in the rear of the house (out througth the patio doors) and the other in the front of the house(out through a window).

More
18 Jan 2012 11:54 #5 by louis (David Knowles)
good idea. I might try the garden hose but I like to keep the tank water for the garden plants!!! I looked at the aqueon water changer on youtube,seems like a lot of water wasted. Might be expensive when we have to start paying for it. I'd hate to be doin a weekly water change on your tank Bibsun

More
18 Jan 2012 12:53 #6 by PompeyBill (Killian Walshe)
Looks good, similar to the Python that I am always reading about on US forums. Let us know how you get on with it! I assume putting tap water into the tank and then dechlorinating after is safe enough?

More
19 Jan 2012 00:31 #7 by ger310 (Ger .)
haha,wimps the lot of yeh.....a bit of back ache adds to the satisfaction of the water change.....Ehh,time to get in shape people!!

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
19 Jan 2012 00:38 #8 by dave k (david)
not when you have a small fellow(4) running around doing water changes !!!! trying to help you...... :crazy:

>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸>

More
19 Feb 2012 20:14 #9 by dave k (david)
just a update on the above product, i have had it for about 3wks so far and water changes are done very fast with this and no mess.The cleaning of the substrate is quite good as you can control the water flow coming out from the tank which is good if you have a fine substrate. overall i am quite pleased with it :)
dave.

>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸>

More
19 Feb 2012 20:52 - 20 Feb 2012 01:30 #10 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

Looks good, similar to the Python that I am always reading about on US forums. Let us know how you get on with it! I assume putting tap water into the tank and then dechlorinating after is safe enough

putting tap water into the tank and then dechlorinating after??????

wat are peoples views on doing this as i have always dechlorinating water befor add to the tank

if its ok to dechlorinat water after addin to the tank is safe then why does people not do it and y do the sell it in the video like this

sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving
Last edit: 20 Feb 2012 01:30 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe).

More
19 Feb 2012 22:26 #11 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
I do the same Sean but would be so much easier to just add the dechlorinator to the tank after filliing straight tap water. Anyone got a view on this?

More
20 Feb 2012 01:28 #12 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
chris again it WAS ASKED noone said they done it we wanted to see wat peoples views where on it

if u look on youtube about this product they sell it in the video and fill the tank and add the water conditioner later this is y i brought it up it is a bad sellin point as to people new to fish keeper would losse a lot off fish this way if they went by it

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
20 Feb 2012 09:49 - 20 Feb 2012 11:40 #13 by dave k (david)
this is something i came across in connection to using straight tap water into your tank i hope the link works below (the post below was from different forum)
The amount of chlorine added to tap water is enough to assure that any bacteria in the distribution system do not end up in the water at the end of the system, this being your faucet. These are a very small percentage per volume compared to an aquarium when you take a mature biological filtration system into account. This is the reason additional chlorine is added to swimming pools, if the amount of chlorine in tap water were able to neutralize an unlimited amount of bacteria this would not be needed. It would also mean you could use tap water to disinfect anything, making household disinfectants unnecessary.

This is not the case with tap water, if it were it would make it undrinkable. This is one of the reasons many people get away with doing water changes without treating the water; there is far more bacteria in the biological filter than the disinfectants in the replacement water are capable of neutralizing. It may knock back the bacteria an insignificant amount in a mature filter, in a newly cycled tank this could be quite a bit more significant.

As far as water changes without using dechlorinator, there is a very good topic on the subject www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/161413-water-changes/

Most of my tanks are drilled with overflows for water changes, just hang a hose & add water, 5gpm. I add Prime afterward more for the removal of any metals, per that topic I've found that with smaller water changes and a mature filter it isn't really needed.

dave.

>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸>
Last edit: 20 Feb 2012 11:40 by dave k (david).

More
20 Feb 2012 11:44 - 20 Feb 2012 11:45 #14 by dave k (david)
Hi draco i think i got the link sorted now..

dave.

>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸>
Last edit: 20 Feb 2012 11:45 by dave k (david).

More
10 Apr 2012 22:37 #15 by JSleator (Jason Sleator)
I siphon water out into 25l drums, and pour over my plants in garden, then use this to pump water back in to the tank from an 80l black bin which i have treated and heated the night before, works a treat.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds