Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

ADA Aqua Soil- NEW Amazonia ????

More
10 Apr 2012 19:50 - 10 Apr 2012 19:54 #1 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
ok lads i need help with this one i have never used ADA befor now and as off now i have got a bag off ADA Aqua Soil- NEW Amazonia FOR MY 30L shrimp tank and i plan on puttin Cuba for the whole bottom off the tank

now wat i need to know is there anyone out there usen the NEW NEW Amazonia has i think there is 3 off them out and the new onw is out about 6 months i think?

but i was talkin to someone today who said they didnt have the best off look with cuba and (some other plant i forget the name off) lately and didnt know y he tried everything and got advice off a lot off ppl who know there stuff when it comes to aqua scaping and again couldnt think off anything so he got on to 2 or 3 different ADA lads and they said they have found for the new Amazonia to melt away cuna and this other plant ill get the name off

but why i need to here wat yas have to say about this that i got a bag off Amazonia and i dont know if it is the new one or the old one as i cant find the bag and dont really want to be gettin cuba for the tank and then it melting on me?

this is the new bag and how u can tell is it says NEW on top off the word Amazonia on the bag

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Apr 2012 19:54 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2012 20:20 #2 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
ok so just after remembering that Mariusz used this on his 91L opti white so i went lookin for the post and found it

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/fforu...white-setup-tutorial

so now i really dont know wat to think as i know now that cuba can be done on it and i seen this today my self and really is some great growth and pearling like crazy

think ill bite the bullet and get some and see how i get on?

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
10 Apr 2012 22:32 #3 by JSleator (Jason Sleator)
I got same stuff from Marius, and as its my first planted tank ive nothing to compare to. My cuba rooted fine in it, but it did die off (as did my gloss) but has come back pretty well, may not be the soil tho, might be the dynamics of my set up as a novice, and cuba is classified as a difficult plant.

ALL the rest of my plants are thriving, and 5 weeks on im trimming weekly, some of my runner plants in this substrate have sent out over a foot of shoots! If i get a substrate again it sill definitely be ADA Amazonia.

Id say fire ahead!

More
11 Apr 2012 10:52 #4 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Hi Sean,

you will find most of the plants, cuba includes are grown in a hydroponics set-up even by the likes of tropica. SO when you plant them fully submersed in the tank, the leaves will die back and the plant will grow new leaves for the fully submersed environment. The melting is typically due to this and has very little if anything to do with the actual substrate used. Once the plant is getting sufficient nutrients, the root system will support it until the new leaves emerge.
Another factor that comes into play with plants such as cuba is the amount of time they are left lying about in the tanks in your lfs. Most of the tanks that hold plants in lfs are set up using a series of weirs to help with water circulation and typically don’t have co2 or nutrient addition. There is no point in adding co2 to such tanks as the surface agitation will result in too high a level of gas exchange to maintain a reasonable level of co2 dissolved in the water.
The best option for cuba is to get it the day it docks at the lfs, or even better if you can get some from an established tank.

For the substrate for your shrimp tank, I think any of the plant specific substrates will do and should have no problems in supporting cuba. If you do some research, you will find some of them will also regulate a ph of about 6 to 6.5 which is ideal for a lot of the shrimp species. Even akadama bonsai soil will do this. I know there was a thread posted recently on the subject of akadama substrate used in a new set-up specifically for the purpose of lowering ph - I will post the link to the thread when I find it.
I use akadama myself and have great success with plant growth, even in a couple of tanks with no co2 added.
Akadama also only costs €18 for 14kg too :) I think I have about 12kg of it spare at the minute, if you want to try some, let me know and I can get it to you along with the moss :)

Just my 2 cents worth :)

Cheers,

Bill.

More
11 Apr 2012 17:15 - 11 Apr 2012 17:16 #5 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
thanks lads

as for the submersed and that i was thinkin the same it is better for it to melt and grow back and the chop chop hahaha

i am going to try it out and see how i get on i have ordered 2 lots off In-Vitro Cuba and going to try that and see how i get on im sure everything will be ok but ill see as i will not be usen CO2

i have being tryin to get it from an established tank but noone seems to want to part with any :(

i heard the akadama bonsai soil was great to use but never got around to gettin my hands on it so would be great if u had a bit to try as i want to put it in a 60L i have up stairs mate thanks very much

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Apr 2012 17:16 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe).

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds