Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Best food for Fish

More
04 May 2012 17:14 #1 by jwm (sean sean)
As the title says. I'm currently running 2 tanks, one community one South American Cichlids. I use live food for the S.A tank but mainly usin new life spectrum all purpose formula. Anyone else using it. Any opinion good or indifferent, can it be used for both tanks. I am usin frozen bloodworm aswell for SA tank, the community tank gets cucmber and lettuce aswell. All fish are happy and healthy all showing lovely vibrant colours, just curious what other foods people use for their tanks.

John

A person who surrenders when he is WRONG, is HONEST. A person who SURRENDERS when not SURE, is WISE. A person who surrenders even if he is RIGHT, is a HUSBAND.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 May 2012 18:50 #2 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Best food for Fish
Hi John,

My favourite food for my Fish is Tetra prima, it has always been a mainstay of most Keepers second of course to frozen or Live, Second ( in the dried food choices )is, Tabi-min, another Tetra product, expensive? yes but my Fish and Shrimp go nuts for it.

Kev.

More
05 May 2012 07:31 #3 by jwm (sean sean)
Thanks kev i will have a look out for it.

John

A person who surrenders when he is WRONG, is HONEST. A person who SURRENDERS when not SURE, is WISE. A person who surrenders even if he is RIGHT, is a HUSBAND.

More
05 May 2012 08:11 #4 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
i generally prefer the jbl range top quality stuff also new life spectrum is superb quality food, but i generally feed a mix of food trying never to feed the same food 2 days in a row, ie: jbl granular food day 1, live food day 2, nls day 3, frozen food day 4, spirinula day 5 and generally starve for last two days of each week, but thats just my method and preferences, i'm sure you'll get others advice and regimes later

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
05 May 2012 08:25 #5 by jwm (sean sean)
Was thinking bout the no feeding thing, but one serpae tetra died on me the other day, i was concerned they were not getting enough food. I ran all tests on water and done a change after tests all was ok, first fatality in the tank in months i thought it may be food related.

John

More
05 May 2012 08:51 #6 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
never had that happen me due to feeding or lack of, i might even do 2 days feeding, 1 off, 3days feeding 1 off it varies with my schedule, look at it this way fish may not eat every day in the wild so why should they feed every day in the tank... its my logic maybe but it works for me the only time i feed 7 days straight is to condition for breeding, and raising fry...i doubt it was the feeding / food that killed the fish it was most probably ill or attacked.. just my 2 cents your tank so your rules, this is just how i do it

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
05 May 2012 10:22 #7 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Obviously it depends on the fish......I'm sure that a large pike in your local lake wouldn't take too kindly to being fed just live daphnia or Prima. :)

But, for general tank fish, Tetra Prima is probably the best all round dried food (although I have moved away from it in recent years).

I now use the JBL range of foods mainly.....with JBL Discus (same as Prima only not quite as good), JBL Spirulina Flakes, and JBL NovaTab as the main dried foods across the tanks.

For Siamese Fighters and other small surface feeders, I use JBL Betta food (I found that to be excellent for difficult-to-feed fish such as siamese fighters and gourami......'difficult-to-feed' means that they are prone to gut problems from crap food).

Frozen food is a great addition to the diet.

Large predatory fish are usually quite easy to feed, and most will happily take prepared food (frozen or dried food).

Some Micro-predators can be tricky, some may only take live food or frozen food.

But if pushed to give one all-round 'Best Food' (ignoring the extemely large fish) then Live Daphnia raised in an algae and cyanobacterial soup do the best all round job safely.

That is just a few of the 'best foods'.

A variety is, though, the spice of life.

As for the dead sepae tetra.....one or 2 days without food is not likely to kill a healthy fish (unless it is a fry). In fact, a missed day now and then will be beneficial to most fish.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds