Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Woodies play sand

More
20 Jul 2012 19:54 - 20 Jul 2012 19:55 #1 by jwm (sean sean)
Quite simple yeah or neah. Bought it cleaned it does not seem to bad bit sticky but very fine, waiting for the nod from someone that has used it.

John

A person who surrenders when he is WRONG, is HONEST. A person who SURRENDERS when not SURE, is WISE. A person who surrenders even if he is RIGHT, is a HUSBAND.
Last edit: 20 Jul 2012 19:55 by jwm (sean sean).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2012 20:11 #2 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Hey John,

I have not used the Woodies sand but have use the argos sand. I was impressed at first but after a few weeks it was getting very dirty looking even with weekly cleaning. Its is hard to clean it without sucking up a load of sand. Also got gas pockets trapped in the sand which is dangerous for fish. I wouldnt use play sand again.

Stephen.

More
20 Jul 2012 21:51 #3 by davey_c (dave clarke)
hey john, if you decide to change for silica sand i have bags of it here ;)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
20 Jul 2012 21:59 #4 by antoblfc (Anthony Behan)
HI Davy were do you get your silica sand from. Looking for some myself... Cheers

More
20 Jul 2012 22:07 - 20 Jul 2012 22:08 #5 by jwm (sean sean)
I'm looking for white sand, going malawi nice bright sand, if the silca does the job well i may just do dat. Want a scatterin on a rio 180. pm a price. Cheers.

A person who surrenders when he is WRONG, is HONEST. A person who SURRENDERS when not SURE, is WISE. A person who surrenders even if he is RIGHT, is a HUSBAND.
Last edit: 20 Jul 2012 22:08 by jwm (sean sean).

More
20 Jul 2012 22:20 - 20 Jul 2012 22:20 #6 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
John i would pass on the sand mate its very fine and is nothing but hassle in a tank,

Up to your self tho mate

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving
Last edit: 20 Jul 2012 22:20 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe).

More
20 Jul 2012 22:24 #7 by jwm (sean sean)
whats de white option.

More
20 Jul 2012 22:42 #8 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

whats de white option.

Sorry John dont get ya?

Do you mean what else could you use thats white?

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Jul 2012 02:54 #9 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Woodies play sand
Never had a problem with Sand, I always used silica or The Early Learning Centre Sand, works a treat, not suitable for Planted Tanks and shallow set-ups.

Kev.

More
21 Jul 2012 06:55 #10 by jwm (sean sean)
Sorry sean ment white bottom.

More
21 Jul 2012 08:39 #11 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
i use sand in some shape or form in most of my tanks. with no problem i stir it up once a week. which keeps aerated. there are plenty of options i have weather loaches in my deepest sand they keep it moving burying themselves in.

there are a few snails that will bury themselves and move through it to but you would have to ask some one else what is suitable.

i usually add some shingle do, i find it help to stop sand settling to much thus avoiding gas/bacteria pockets plus when you rake/move the sand it adds to the movement.
Mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
21 Jul 2012 10:29 #12 by davey_c (dave clarke)
i have coral sand too if thats a better suit? i know aquatic village had white silica sand in stock a couple of months ago, they may still have it if its worth enquiring?

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
21 Jul 2012 10:39 #13 by davey_c (dave clarke)

HI Davy were do you get your silica sand from. Looking for some myself... Cheers

www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/1111135

its a mix of grades so does the job nicely, just will need a washing, the bloke was meeting me in dublin (phibsboro) on a sunday so he may well still come that far ;)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
27 Jul 2012 11:46 #14 by jwm (sean sean)
Regretting usin the play sand, woodies play sand not to be used for the fish tank, i reckon its too fine, everytime the fish move along the bottom they stir it up, really light film of sand all over the rocks the spray bar and filter. I read on a web site that the fine sand could damage the filter so back to the drawnin board. Sand will have to come out this weekend. My fish will be travel sick they have been in and out a bit last couple o weeks. So i'm looking for white coral sand enough to cover bottom of rio 180.

Cheers john

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds