Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

python no spill water changer?

More
01 Oct 2013 16:42 #1 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Ok so my other half seen an lfs was gettin these in and I decide to give them a google... maybe I'm wrong but they seem quite a gimick.... like when your removing water from your tank do ye honestly use water from your tap (going straight down the drain as it looks to me) to create the syphon?... surely the height of water in your tank will determine its affectiveness at removing waste? Also then tap water straight into tank??... of course they make reference to conditioning the water with a dechlorinater but where may I ask do ye do that on this system without putting the water into a bucket?...

Am I picking this item up wrong or is it half useless and a waste of freshwater also?
Please share your experiences with me please :)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2013 17:32 #2 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
The suction you get is pretty good. Good enough to lift gravel and remove the dirt but not so strong you'll end up with your substrate disappearing down the plug hole. I wonder how much use they'll be when the water charges hit. With regard to conditioner, you have to dose the whole tank instead of just the amount you're replacing

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
01 Oct 2013 18:14 #3 by davey_c (dave clarke)

The suction you get is pretty good. Good enough to lift gravel and remove the dirt but not so strong you'll end up with your substrate disappearing down the plug hole. I wonder how much use they'll be when the water charges hit. With regard to conditioner, you have to dose the whole tank instead of just the amount you're replacing

Thats what I was also wundering with water flowing from a sink tap through the manifold and straight down the drain by the looks of it... clocking up on the water meter doesn't seem like an efficient nor cost effective way of doing changes to me :unsure:
Also we preach against adding dechlorinator to the tank after adding water... instead we recommend conditioning water before adding it to the tank so don't know what to make of it tbh.
Like I'm not trying to brand it a bad product by any means but more a discussion on its usefulness for myself and anyone else considering 1 :unsure:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
03 Oct 2013 21:35 #4 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
I think it may be designed for ornimental big tanks
With heavy grade gravel
Where the amount of water coming from the the tap
Won't stress the fish!

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
03 Oct 2013 22:06 #5 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

I think it may be designed for ornimental big tanks
With heavy grade gravel
Where the amount of water coming from the the tap
Won't stress the fish!

it's certainly not advertised as such. there's even promo clips showing it for domestic use

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
21 Jul 2014 11:35 #6 by vaschro (john fitzpatrick)
I use the JBL version with no issues on a RIO 240 and RIO 180 , once I get the water flowing from the tank, I simply turn off the tap.
In this way flow for the tank continues and it saves water, i am never going back to buckets and my wife is a lot happier.

More
21 Jul 2014 15:20 #7 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
I also use the JBL version (Aqua In/Out)

Its fantastic..Just like vaschro said when ya get the suction going ya turn off the tap and hey presto! it keeps sucking! (So theres practically no water waste)...

When adding water ya dose with dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank BEFORE ya add the new water (Never had any problems)

Python is the American brand of whats known as a NO SPILL WATER CHANGER...There are 2 or 3 others but they all do the same thing...

Buckets are LITERALLY a thing of the past....

2 things i would not be without now for my fish keeping are (1) My JBL Aqua In Out & (2) My Eheim battery gravel cleaner

These 2 products eliminate spillages and buckets and save so much time....Fantastic products!

More
21 Jul 2014 15:44 #8 by swai (Simon)
I use the American original python! I didn't know jbl done one when I bought mine and I paid a lot more then What the jbl costs as it was imported from America :hammer:

it's great for taking water out but I still wouldn't add straight tap water in. I add De chlorinated water in which I let sit for a minimum of a day or 2.

I'm actually on the market for a pump which you can connect a tube to for adding water in from my water butt.

Marino, Dublin 9

More
21 Jul 2014 20:26 - 21 Jul 2014 20:27 #9 by davey_c (dave clarke)
I don't know if id be giving up the buckets that easy... the rate of flow would still depend on the difference in height of 1 end of pipe to the other, the lower the exit end the better the flow, a typical counter top would be average 36" from floor which wouldn't be far off the tank base height so I dunno... wouldn't be sold on its effectiveness tbh.... doubt anyone's tank is that close to the sink lol.
Unless you're using the water from the tap instead of lettin it down the drain then sorry but to me its wasted no matter how little it seems with them water meters on the horizon yeno
For me I think I'll stay in the past but yeno what they say "its hard to put a new head on old shoulders" :lol:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

Last edit: 21 Jul 2014 20:27 by davey_c (dave clarke).

More
21 Jul 2014 20:29 #10 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Or is that "ye can't teach an old dog new tricks" :unsure: :laugh:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds