Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Fluvial 206 canister filter

More
17 May 2016 09:40 #1 by CG (K Lynch)
I bought the Fluvial 206 canister filter for my 31'x12'x17' tank in December.
That's about 120 litres.

It says on the manual that it's made for up to 45 US gallons but I think it's better to over filter and it's about the right size for my tank.
It functions well and there are three tiers for any media you would like.
I found it fairly easy to set-up and I'm not a handy-man so no issues there.
The inflow tube and outflow tubes are not the most aesthetically pleasing but they work well.

One nit is that after my last cleaning, I found it very hard to prime. It took about 30 minutes of trying different things. in the end- what worked is sucking on the outflow (probably to free up the air) but really the way I have it set-up, the primer should get the flow going.

It did claim to be silent (don't they all) but it's not completely.
I have a sensitive ear being a musician so it's not ideal but it's much less noise than the fluval 4 plus internal I had running.

Overall, I'm quite happy with it. I paid 120 euro and it looks better and works much better than an internal.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2016 11:19 #2 by robert (robert carter)
hi ithink the main problem with any external filter is priming ,I have a aqua cf1200 and a Christo phofi 1500 both of which I find difficult to prime ,even though they say the prime instantly , it sort of puts me of cleaning them. this was the main reason that my lastest tank has a sump. glad I am not the only one that has this issue

More
17 May 2016 23:08 #3 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
The 206 is a quiet filter.
So if it is noisy then there may be air still in it or something wrong with the seating of the impeller.

The little rod thing for priming is pretty awful though as it more feels as if it is going to break if you get "more aerobic" with it (so to speak).

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
18 May 2016 06:28 #4 by CG (K Lynch)
Hi Ian,

I bought it new and in my experience, it always gave some low hum even when inside my cupboard no matter what I tried - priming, tilting, reassembling etc. maybe it's the one I have or maybe it's my ears ...haha

- yeah the rod does bend under pressure - It pretty flimsy for 120 yoyo's :P

More
18 May 2016 06:53 #5 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
I have a 206 running the last couple of years with absolutely no issue other than replacing the top seating seal once! There is a very very slight hum off them but it's not intrusive or annoying! I never really have to prime mine as I would very rarely take the pipework out of the tank! Just reattach and open the valve and the majority of the work is done by the normal syphon!
Great little filter, media baskets are a little on the small side and sponges are expensive if you go buying the original ones, but spurious sponges cut to size do the trick without issue!

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds