Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Going Marine

• paulm (paulm)
  • paulm (paulm)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Jul 2007 16:33 #1 by paulm (paulm)
Going Marine was created by paulm (paulm)
There has been a few members talking about the big step (so to speak) in going into Marines. I was a ciclid keeper up to a year or so ago. I had a large number of them (most I robbed from Anto :lol: :lol: ) But it was a great learning curve for me and if I needed information it was books and people like Anto I turned to (had no PC. then :cry: ). However, about a year and a half ago I went to do a job for a friend, he told me about the small little fish bowl in the house where the job was (kieronr house 8) :shock: :o .That was me Im going Marine Got the info from K Thankyou SIR. and I got a book called THE MARINE AQUARIUM HANDBOOK Beguinner to Breeder (New Edition Revised and Expanded) By MARTIN A.MOE Jr.
To sum up
Go look at a marine set up as many as you can and GET this book. Your well on your way to having a marine set up. If I can do it anyone can :wink:

Wishing you the very best of luck

with kind regards
Paul

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2007 17:33 #2 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
:P :lol: 8) Nice one!!

Will defo read/buy this book so!! :)

More
01 Jul 2007 19:16 #3 by Tetra (Tetra)
Replied by Tetra (Tetra) on topic Re: Going Marine
If your thinking on going marine id say read alot, research on the net and dont be afraid to ask for help or peoples opinions to be honest I was afraid to go marine because of the big hike of price and the less tolerance in which the fish have to water parameters.But take the step and its not hard at all regular water changes and keeping an eye on everything and thats it. Its not a big step from trops and you can start off on any size once you are dedicated to keeping regular care off your marine.

More
02 Jul 2007 02:04 #4 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
You know Tetra-Tetra, that is the first piece of no nonsense advice that a person has given about Marine!! :) Its better than the usual, its horrendiously difficult and you will find it impossible to get it right. Thats what its like on the international fish sites, better to stay closer at home!! :)

More
02 Jul 2007 04:29 #5 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Replied by Sean (Fr. Jack) on topic Re: Going Marine

:o .That was me Im going Marine Got the info from K Thankyou SIR. and I got a book called THE MARINE AQUARIUM HANDBOOK Beguinner to Breeder (New Edition Revised and Expanded) By MARTIN A.MOE Jr.
To sum up
Go look at a marine set up as many as you can and GET this book.

Martin Moe, was the very first to breed marines commercial, it was done on the Florida Keys, his right hand man was a very younger Forrest Young, who set up his own fish catching station in Marathon one of the mid islands on the Florida keys it also reared marine clown and neon gobies commercially, this put Moes operation out of business. When I worked for Forrest from what I could see, the fish collecting was what was bring in the dollars and possible subsidising the clown fish operation. Martin Moe was talking about not using beef heart back in the early 80´s when PFK keepers writer were talking out of their arse, it took them another 20 years to catch up, read his book, any it will put doubts in your mind about setting up a marine tank using solely live rock as the main bio filter.

www.dynastymarine.net/

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

More
02 Jul 2007 04:45 #6 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Also a very good book called the consienous marine aquarium by mike palletta (sorry about the spelling)

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Jul 2007 05:14 #7 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: Going Marine
It seems there is a revolution happening,a marine revolution!Sure I may as well go for it,anyone got a lend of any good Marine books:?:

More
02 Jul 2007 06:20 #8 by Tetra (Tetra)
Chris M have a few marine books lying around some were or might have given them to a friend of mine not sure but will dig them out for you anyways. Could prob get them for the next meeting if thats ok.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Jul 2007 07:03 #9 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Twould be superb mate!

• paulm (paulm)
  • paulm (paulm)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Jul 2007 11:54 #10 by paulm (paulm)
Replied by paulm (paulm) on topic Re: Going Marine
Chris I took some stuff round to Anto . When he's finished your more than welcome.Its just another learning curve. :wink:

Regards Paul.

More
03 Jul 2007 05:18 #11 by Tetra (Tetra)
will bring them to the next meet so chris

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Jul 2007 05:22 #12 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Quality stuff lads,I know the info is out there on the net but I am very sceptical of info unpproved by keepers I know. :wink: I am planning on setting up a tank around November so Im giving myself plenty of time.

More
03 Jul 2007 05:33 #13 by Tetra (Tetra)
I think you'll get the basic's from books (ie setting up,caring for, and different types of set up) the rest you'll get from first hand experience from other marine fish keepers but be aware you can get some crazy advice. I was reading a thread on reef central i think it was and its was saying about adding normal sugar to the water to remove nitrates. Im not to sure how this could work but there was one lad with an amazing reef system who said he does this occasionally and the sugar some how sucks up the nitrates which is then removed by the skimmer.

More
03 Jul 2007 08:13 #14 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Replied by Sean (Fr. Jack) on topic Re: Going Marine

I think you'll get the basic's from books (ie setting up,caring for, and different types of set up) the rest you'll get from first hand experience from other marine fish keepers but be aware you can get some crazy advice. I was reading a thread on reef central i think it was and its was saying about adding normal sugar to the water to remove nitrates. Im not to sure how this could work but there was one lad with an amazing reef system who said he does this occasionally and the sugar some how sucks up the nitrates which is then removed by the skimmer.

Its true you need are carbon source for the bacteria to remove nitrates, this is normally done indirectly by the food one add es, you can add a small amount of sugar every so often, I rember in minifeef USA (the Philippine importers in Florida I used to work in)they used to sale the stuff I thing it was water and glycerol (sugar) and labeled it live the organic aquarium thing in south Africa, the problem is if you add too much you can actually make nitrites so we are talking a fraction of a fraction.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds