Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

UV STERILISERS

More
28 Jan 2008 20:38 #1 by tonycfc (Tony O Connor)
can anyone give my some advice on a uv steriliser can i use it in a fresh water aquarium and do i need special on for the amount of water in the tank , my tank holds 676 litres or 149 gallons and could you recomend a brand to do a good job

thanks guys tony

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2008 22:18 #2 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
There are two types of UV available - UV Steriliser and UV Clarifier.

The steriliser is mainly used in marine tanks, but can be used in freshwater too. As the name suggests, it sterilises the water and will kill all water bourne organisms including bacteria, viruses and algae spores. They will clarify the water and help eradicate water bourne disease. However, they will not treat algae attached ot objects in the tank or disease infected fish, but may help prevent other fish becomming infected. Some say that the downside is that your fish live in a sterile environment which can be a problem if they are moved to a tank without a UV or if a diseased fish is introduced.

UV Clarifiers aren't as strong and only help clarify the water. It will kill most water bourne organisms including algaes. Advantage is that they are cheaper than sterilisers.

Both units need to have their UV bulbs replaced after about 6 months to a year of use. I have a clarifier, but don't have it on all the time, only when the water needs to be cleared.

They are normally attached to the return pipe of your external filter which will mean cutting the pipe to fit it.

Most LFS should stock as they are used in marine tank. You should be able to get one to suit your tank.

Why do you think you need one?

Regards,

Ken.

More
29 Jan 2008 21:15 #3 by tonycfc (Tony O Connor)
hi ken thanks for the reply,
well ive read a little about them on the internet but not much by my understanding i could use it to help give me clearer water which i do have to an extent,i had only 1 fluval 405 connected to the tank but today put another onto the tank and am always striving to get clearer water.

in the tank before today i had 1 shark catfish 1 and a 1/2 feet long roughly,2 clown knife fish 10 inches and 7 tinfoil barbs about 7 inches to.im in the process of trying to sell the catfish (if you know anybody with a big tank)and have just purchased 8 young oscars 2 tiger veil tail,2 tiger red,and 3 fabulous albino white/red oscars so am changing around the set up as such and when the oscars get big i wana really b able to see their colours shine thats the only reason sorry for wrighting essay lol

thanks tony

More
29 Jan 2008 22:29 #4 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
That's a lot of stock even considering the size of your tank. The Oscars sound great, but you'll have to some fish on as the Oscars grow.

A UV certainly wouldn't do any harm. You've just about enough filtration there with the two 405s. I would seriously considering replacing one of them with a Fluval FX5 which would be ideal for that size of thank. I would spend my money on the FX5 befre the UV if I were you.

Regards,

Ken.

Time to create page: 0.035 seconds