Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

cleanwater

• john gannon (john gannon)
  • john gannon (john gannon)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Jun 2008 18:52 #1 by john gannon (john gannon)
cleanwater was created by john gannon (john gannon)
came accross some filter material earlier called aquaruim filtration cleanwater A100.I was just wondering has anybody used this stuff.
if this stuff does half of what it claims on the packaging it would be a real bargain
Product information
Cleanwater is a unique absorption resin specially designed for advanced aquarium filtration . Working in both marine and freshwater aquariums.cleanwater removes harmful nitrate,phosphate and nitrites from the water for up to 3 months .this also prevents unsightly algae from growing .

it cost 9.95 for a sachet that does up to 80 gal.
as i said earlier in post has any body used this or any opinions on it
thanks john

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2008 21:40 #2 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I can only find it for sale on one site and you can not blow up the picture to see the maker, though it looks like \"Aquarium\", it is a stupid product name anyway, when it come to searching for \"cleanwater\" you are going to get a million replies, none are what you are looking for.

Because of the name, I can't find any forums mention it. I would be very slow to purchase this stuff without finding out more. It does not seem cheap to me, 80 gallons is not a lot of water. Also it says up to three months, who knows what tank load that is based on, it could be a single guppy :-)

I would prefer to spend a few more euro and upgrade the filter if it is not big enough to do the job, or better still add an additional filter to complement the original.

Have said all that I was very dismissive of a product called Easy-Life, a liquid filter medium, until Platy252 suggested trying it. When I read the bottle I thought if it did half the things listed it would be too good to be true - but I tried it and would not be without it now.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Jun 2008 22:30 #3 by john gannon (john gannon)
Replied by john gannon (john gannon) on topic Re:cleanwater
hi darragh
its from c.r. products-hoge mauw 38 A-B-2370 Arendonk-Belguim
Ihad a look on there product page earlier and could only find underwater cameras etc.
i was going to be seeing you tommorow and illgive you a look
thanks john

More
13 Jun 2008 22:39 #4 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Grand, I will give you some Easy-Life to try too. I have PM'd you.

More
13 Jun 2008 22:45 #5 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Say you start using this stuff and after 3 months you decide to no longer use it or forget to renew it. The bacteria that was converting the nitrite to Nitrate had no longer been needed so it died off from lack of food (Nitrite). You are then stuck with a tank that has to complete the second half of the nitrogen cycle all over again.
I would like to hear if anyone has used it and how they found it.
You have to remember their are a lot of products out their that promise the devil and all but verry few deliver.

John was their something in particular you were looking for when you found this product?

More
13 Jun 2008 22:49 #6 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Wow you both snuck in a tread each while i was typing. I must be realy slow at typing or else the beer in my hand is slowing me down.;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Jun 2008 23:09 #7 by john gannon (john gannon)
Replied by john gannon (john gannon) on topic Re:cleanwater
no beer tonight darren
nyway ill hold off using it until i find out more.i came across it in a shop on the southside.i was looking for a phosphate remover
thanks john

More
13 Jun 2008 23:43 #8 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
John for phosphate removal i would recomend either Rowa's Rowaphos or PhosBan.
Both of these use ferrous iron oxides instead of the aluminum oxides that some other brands use. The aluminum stays in the tank and as far as i know can damage the liver of fish.

If your phosphate is high use either Rowaphos or Phosbah at the recommended dose for about a week then renew it.
It can exhaust quicker with higher phosphates.
Do not over do it with the phosphate remover or you could end up with low ph and dkh. Just keep an eye on the levels.

More
05 Nov 2008 14:18 #9 by phildevan2 (jimmy martin)
john any feed back on the use of Rowa's Rowaphos, i've been having a problem with algae and as a last resort i'm thinking of using Rowas

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds