Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Juwel rio 300

More
20 Nov 2008 15:34 #1 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
Hi all,
Thinking of changing tanks in the new year.I have two rekord 96 at the moment and have been looking at the rio 300.I want to have one for my community tropical and one for mbuna cichlids.The space i have is 245cm long and 70cm wide.This is the only place for large tank or tanks in my house so have to get it right.If i go for the rio 300 i was looking at a tetratec ex1200 in each and would leave the internal filters in the tanks.
Well any thoughts and help on what might work well would be great.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2008 17:08 - 20 Nov 2008 17:10 #2 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
Hi Orca

The dimensions for the rio 300 are

width =121 cm
depth = 51 cm
height = 62 cm

LB
Last edit: 20 Nov 2008 17:10 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran). Reason: spelling

More
20 Nov 2008 17:18 #3 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
Hi Orca, looks like it's be a tight squeeze, but can't wait to see the pictures :)

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

More
20 Nov 2008 17:27 #4 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
Replied by Orca (Eoin Walsh) on topic Re:Juwel rio 300
I think i might get away with it as the shape of the stand means my rad won't get in the way.

More
20 Nov 2008 19:39 #5 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
it should fit no problem if you have 245cm in lenght the tank is only 4 foot long

More
20 Nov 2008 19:58 #6 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
Do you think the rio 300 would do for what i am thinking about.

More
20 Nov 2008 20:19 - 20 Nov 2008 20:22 #7 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
ok i picked up your original post wrong.
so your planning on geting 2 rio 300's :cheer: thats going to cost a bit :ohmy: so the 2 tanks will take up 242cm and you have 245cm so there should be no problem ;)

Cabinet
width =121 cm
depth = 51 cm
height = 73 cm
Last edit: 20 Nov 2008 20:22 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran).

More
20 Nov 2008 20:54 #8 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
How much might you expect to pay for a second hand rio 300.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Nov 2008 23:52 #9 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:Juwel rio 300
With the two tanks side by side, it leaves a small little margin of 3cm (a little over an inch)...
Make sure your walls are straight ...
You might want to leave some space between the two in order to be able to clean the glass between the two (magnet, cloth for the outer glass...). If you have a skirting board, it might be tight enough.

In addition to this, you might want to be able to access the back of the tanks/cabinets which wouldn't be easy if the walls are coming up at a right angle on the side(s).

On the aesthetic side of things, it might look funny to have 2 different biotopes side by side ...

Just thought I'd throw a spanner in your planning ! :P

Valerie :)

More
21 Nov 2008 00:09 #10 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
You have got me thinking now.What should i do one really big tank or the 2 tanks.So now i have to ask if anyone has put 2 biotopes side by side and did it work.I can now see what valerie is saying but it is my only free space in the house and i want the 2 biotopes.Any chance we could have a vote on what would look better.

More
21 Nov 2008 02:44 #11 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
I got my rio 300 for 300 euro with free metal halide lighting
Tanks are a crazy price new, I couldn’t justify paying that money even if I could afford it

So now I have to ask if anyone has put 2 biotopes side by side and did it work.

I wouldn’t think so, the contrast between the 2 tanks would be distracting?

I had the same choice when I set up my single 300L tank, I wanted cichlids but also wanted variety and plants so I went with dwarf cichlids and they will be ok with other fish and plants,

LB

More
21 Nov 2008 14:20 #12 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
What other fish would you put with dwarf cichlids.

More
21 Nov 2008 15:02 #13 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
See here for what i plan to put in :)
Last post on the link
www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/o...limitstart,20/#41622

More
21 Nov 2008 15:53 #14 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
Your fish list will work very well in your tank and you have given me loads to think about.

More
22 Nov 2008 23:45 #15 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
hey have you thought abouth a vision 450 instead, saw a great video on youtube

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

More
23 Nov 2008 00:02 #16 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
The vision 450 was one of the larger tanks i was looking at up in av2 last week.It would look great for the space i have.That video on youtube lets you see how the tank could look.

More
23 Nov 2008 00:30 #17 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
ya reckon ya might swing for that one, what about the bow front, what's the advantage ?

ITFS Club Secretary

More
23 Nov 2008 00:34 #18 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
It could be the one but you never know.I do like the curved front as it would give great views.

More
23 Nov 2008 13:33 #19 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
I was up in the av today and they had a vision 450 in stock.It is a great looking tank but since i only have a small house it looks like it would be overkill in my small kitchen.Just too wide at 61cm.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Nov 2008 15:47 #20 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:Juwel rio 300
Just to let you know that a bow front distorts somewhat the view you have of the fish when close up.
It makes it difficult to take pictures (just thinking about the photo competition :P ).

Hope I didn't throw another spanner in the works !! :-)

Valerie

More
23 Nov 2008 16:20 #21 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
There ars so many reviews out there about tanks but they dont seem to take into account the people who might take photos.Good to know.

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds