Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Eheim Filters

More
24 Mar 2010 23:35 #1 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Hey folks,

Does anyone have any experience with this filter? Its the Eheim 2329.84 - Saltwater Thermobreather. This thing is a canister/wet dry filter all in one. Looks like a pretty gucci piece of kit and the whole wet dry thing caught my eye because Im looking for a filter for a marine setup. If it works as advertised it might be a worthwhile investment. Can anyone rate them or something similar? Cheers,

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• eire1978 (eire1978)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Mar 2010 23:39 #2 by eire1978 (eire1978)
Replied by eire1978 (eire1978) on topic Re:Eheim Filters
i have 2128 thermo wouldnt buy the thermo type again two many wires when u r cleaning the filter,one of the thermo wires got damage so dont use the heater anymore but the filter is great

• scubadim (scubadim)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Mar 2010 23:43 #3 by scubadim (scubadim)
Replied by scubadim (scubadim) on topic Re:Eheim Filters
Hi,
don't know this exact model.I had one Eheim wet/dry external filter on a rio 240,a good bit of liverock,prizm hang on skimmer and it worked fine for me.the only thing I'd say is that the flow was a bit poor and having a couple of circulation pumps was a must but whatever filtration you use these extra pumps are necessary I think.
Hope this helps,a bit rusty on the marines...
Dimitri

• scubadim (scubadim)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Mar 2010 23:44 #4 by scubadim (scubadim)
Replied by scubadim (scubadim) on topic Re:Eheim Filters
I think mine was 2227 but not sure,it's few years back...

More
24 Mar 2010 23:54 #5 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
A lot of people love them but i got the 2224 and after two weeks one of the locking clip broke feels a bit cheap to me but they cost a lot!

More
25 Mar 2010 09:19 #6 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
@ Dimitri,

Ill definately be using additional circulation pumps. A couple of powerheads and a large Koralia too. Guess I still have a bit of research to do on a filter but I really like the idea of a wet/dry incorporated into a canister so Ill be looking along those lines. Thanks for the input guys, helped a lot.

Jay

Life

More
25 Mar 2010 09:35 #7 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Jay, sometimes these wet/ dry filters are to efficient at what they do and you end up with high nitrates that can be ok for a freshwater setup but bad for a marine tank, algae etc.Do a bit of research before you take the plunge,

its hard to decide which way to go sometimes, my own head do be spinning sometimes on what options are best for my own setup:blink: :blink:

More
25 Mar 2010 09:41 #8 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Yeah it aint as easy as just swanning into a shop and walking out with a nice filter. Can I ask, what filtration are you using on your salty setup? I would love to use a sump but the cabinet wont allow for one big enough. Gotta say, theres a lot more choice out there now than the last time I was in the market for a filter...you would think that would make things easier.

Jay

Life

More
25 Mar 2010 09:56 #9 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Viperbot wrote:

Yeah it aint as easy as just swanning into a shop and walking out with a nice filter. Can I ask, what filtration are you using on your salty setup? I would love to use a sump but the cabinet wont allow for one big enough.

Jay

had a 240 Jewel Jay and was planning on just converting it to marine, hang on skimmer, cannister filter with liverock, floss, carbon etc.
Got talking to a few marine guys and they convinved me to sell the tank and get on with a sump. Most of them went the way i was planning, converting a standard tank but within a year they all upgrade to a tank with a sump which cost them more money at the end of the day.

Tank prices have fallen big time over the last year, i was able to sell my last tank with filters etc and bought a betta 1000 so i broke even on the tank.If i had to do it again i would of got a Clearseal much better tank imo.
I still had to buy the powerheads skimmer etc so money, money money:ohmy: :ohmy:

Regarding the filter system i have at the moment, i have a scok on my main return to sump for mechanical, a deltec turbo skimmer, was going the route of rowphas and spagetti algae for po4 and nitrate removal but am thinking of these new bio pellets so undecided yet.

The bio pellets are new to market but will probably work out cheaper in the long run as you just top them up when they go low about every 6 months i think

Similar to yourself jay have some digging to do and then decide whats best for me

More
25 Mar 2010 10:06 #10 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Cheers for the info Gerry, much appreciated. I picked up my skimmer yesturday, a Deltec MC 500 which looks like a neat piece of kit. These new bio balls are interesting, will look into them. Ill keep searching and see what I come up with for filtration. Lots to do...Awell, thanks again mate.

Jay

Life

More
25 Mar 2010 10:09 #11 by Ma (mm mm)
Replied by Ma (mm mm) on topic Re:Eheim Filters
2227 has crappy locking bolts too, plastic, snap quite easy. Good filter but badly designed and not at all durable.
I would have thermo ina heater as a backup only, filter goes and your heat goes also.

If you have a sump made to spec can you fit one in anywhere, Mossy can slap one together for you?

Mark

Location D.11

More
25 Mar 2010 10:27 #12 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
To install a sump big enough for my system I would need to cut out sections of the cabinet which would probably weaken it to the point of not being able to support the weight of the full tank. Full, my tank weighs around 400 kg. Add to that the live rock and you can see my concern over messing with the cabinet. Unfortunately I havnt the room for a sump outside the cabinet so a canister or similar is my only option until I upgrade the tank, which Im not doing until I move. Thanks for the input.

Jay

Life

More
25 Mar 2010 10:37 #13 by Ma (mm mm)
Replied by Ma (mm mm) on topic Re:Eheim Filters
How large would a sump need to be for 400L marine?

Looking at my vision cab which is near enough the same size I have enough room for ma 60 litre one, if I took out the middle drawer there's room for a tall 120litre there abouts. Just wondering.

Mark

Location D.11

More
25 Mar 2010 10:49 #14 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
They can be as big or as small as you want. Depends on what you intend to use it for. Personally I would like to have it about a quater the volume of the main system to at least try to hide heaters and mabey a refugium but its not possible given my circumstances. Idealy you can put your skimmers in them too but again, I havnt the space. To cram a small sump into my cabinet would make for headaches with upkeep and a hassel to work on.

Jay

Life

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds