Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Replacing Rekord 70 housed filter with an external

More
09 Jul 2010 10:29 - 09 Jul 2010 10:33 #1 by dantheman (dantheman)
Hi,

I have recently set up my old Rekord 70 Jewel Aquarium however the entire original internal filter unit has come loose from the tank and also the pump seems a bit tired. I suspect the water flow is not nearly as good as it used to be.

I have lots of live plants but no fish stocked yet and it occured to me that rather than buy a new pump and put up with this large rattley filter which takes so much space; that I could buy an external filter.

Is a 70 litre aquarium too small for an external filter? The guy in the pet store kinda looked at me as if to say "why!?" but then recommended a JAD Canister Filter EF - 10 for € 80 or EFU - 10 for € 100 (U indicating Ultra violet lighting).

I had looked at an Eheim 2032 online and was kinda sold on it but I've yet to locate one in Dublin.

Also, What about my heater, can I just leave this exposed in the tank? It is the original supplied with the aquarium and is 8 years old.

Pic below, I would intend to store the filter in the press below the tank.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Should I consider a new Internal filter maybe? Thanks!

Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Jul 2010 10:33 by dantheman (dantheman).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2010 10:45 #2 by JohnH (John)
I agree, I always thought the Juwel filter system to be a bit 'imposing'.
If you can remove it easily then that would be the best way to go.
I don't know the JAD filters but if they are backed up by a reasonable guarantee they should be worth considering - anyone have any experiences with them?
For myself I don't think you can beat Eheims, but that is purely a personal opinion.
Try sending PMs to all the Forum Sponsors to see if anyone has them for sale, if you could get down to New Ross, Aquatic Lifestyles are main Eheim agents:

address - Unit 4 Woodbine Business Park, New Ross, Co. Wexford. tel- 051 445399

Your heater will be fine to leave in the tank, but you can try to 'hide' it somewhat amongst plants, or you can even buy a sort of log-effect 'ornament' especially made to hide it behind.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
09 Jul 2010 11:06 #3 by dantheman (dantheman)
Thanks John,

New Ross is a bit out but not impossible. I like that there is lots of online chatter about the Eheim but I can find very little about "JAD" so I think Eheim is the way to go.

Unless there are any other filters anyone can recommend?

What is the advantage to external filtration? Is it just space saving?

I'm also planning a DIY CO2 system, would there be any benefits to either type of filtration?

Thanks again!

Daniel.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jul 2010 12:39 - 09 Jul 2010 12:40 #4 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Replacing Rekord 70 housed filter with an external
There are many reasons for choosing an External Filter, It frees up space, it allows for different choices of various types of media, it allows you to over filter your Tank should you require it, there is nothing more annoying than having to remove Tank covers and getting wet up to your Armpits ! . There are many benefits and as far as I can see and very few reasons not to.

Kev.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2010 12:40 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
09 Jul 2010 13:03 #5 by dantheman (dantheman)
Thanks Kev.

I think you're right and the more I read about them the more I want one!

It might throw my nitrogen cycle off but I'll keep both filters in for a week and give the old sponges a good squeeze into the tank before removing them.

Can't wait to get rid of that huge black box, it must take up 5 or 6 litres of space!

I am yet to find Eheim in Dublin but Wackers are getting back to me. I have found JBL external filters for about € 100in another lfs who highly recommends them even though he says Eheim are the best.

Anyone have any thoughts regarding JBL external filters, availability of cartridges and suitability to a 70 litre tank?

Thanks

Daniel.

More
09 Jul 2010 13:42 #6 by hal (Peter McCallion)
Hi Daniel

I think that Aquatic Lifestyles in New Ross has actually closed as I've been trying to contact them for over a week now. I was down there on Wednesday and again today and the place is locked up. It's a pity as they were the best fish shop in wexford. I too am in the market for an external Eheim to replace a very noisey cascade 1200. I think that I've contacted the same shop as you because I'm going to go for a JBL myself.

Peter

More
09 Jul 2010 13:58 - 09 Jul 2010 14:24 #7 by dantheman (dantheman)
Hi Peter,

That explains why they don't answer the phone!

I've decided to try and get an EHEIM ecco pro - 130 / 200 / 300

I have located a 300 and I'd buy it but I'm worried it may be too powerfull for my tank???? Wackers will have a wider range in stock from next Thursday, but I may get a larger tank some day and would not need a new filter.

See: www.eheim.de/eheim/inhalte/index.jsp?key...iendetail_32311_ehen

Perhaps the 200 would be best for my 70 litre tank? Can you over do the filtration?

Thanks Peter, Thanks Brian.

Daniel.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2010 14:24 by dantheman (dantheman).

More
09 Jul 2010 15:50 #8 by JohnH (John)

That explains why they don't answer the phone!

Hmm,
That also might explain why I got no replies to the PMs I sent them.

Unless, of course they've popped away for a holiday.

But either way, I'm sorry for misleading you (note to myself: Follow up on Sponsors).

JBL seem to be an up-and-coming brand here in Ireland - I was looking in their catalogue and it seems they do produce rather a lot of filters!

It is always better to 'over-filter' an Aquarium. Remember the quoted output is only that when the filter first starts - as it becomes more active with mulm and the resultant bacteria the output slows gradually, no need to clean the media as often since you really only want to be doing that when the output really slows to an appreciably slower rate. So you should be OK with the 300, bearing in mind your potential upgrade, but it might be a little 'over the top' for only a 70l.
Anyone else have any thoughts?

John
ps It might be better if you squeezed the Juwel filter sponges into the External rather than straight into the tank, I think.

ITFS member.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jul 2010 15:52 #9 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Replacing Rekord 70 housed filter with an external
Hi Daniel,

Most if not all Externals have a lever that allows you to drop or increase the flow of the Filter without damaging the Pump in the Head part of the Filter, so you can adjust accordingly, if I am in the slightest way wrong lads/ladies please let me know.

Kev.

More
09 Jul 2010 16:51 - 09 Jul 2010 19:00 #10 by Gerry The Chip (Gerard)
Hi iv also been looking at the Jbl mag i recieved at the pet show and theres a nice external they do called the e700 it filters 700ltr per hour and is recommend for tanks 60-160ltr,Ill be gettin the e900 for my rio 180 shortly so Imo that would be perfect for your tank.:-) Enjoy
Last edit: 09 Jul 2010 19:00 by JohnH (John). Reason: Removed reference to online non-sponsor.

More
10 Jul 2010 12:09 #11 by dantheman (dantheman)
Thanks Gerry, Kev & John,

I have gone and bought the Eheim Ecco Pro 300 (2036). I set it up this morning and I'm really pleased. The instuctions could have been a bit clearer but I get there in the end. (Obvious stuff in hindsight)

I still have the old filter system in the tank and I'm itching to remove it now but I'll try to give it a week (maybe).

The water flow is really good but I don't think it is too powerfull. I'll just get fish that are suited to fast moving streams and put in a few rocks and caves for shelter at night etc.

I'm considering rummy nose tetras, cardinal tetras, ottos, dwarf chichlids, freshwater halfbeaks & shrimp. Are any of these unsuitable? Any recommendations?

Thanks again for all the advice!

More
10 Jul 2010 12:11 #12 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
What kind of shrimp? The Dwarf chilids could end up snacking on the shrimp if they are small shrimp.
Gavin

More
10 Jul 2010 12:15 #13 by JohnH (John)
Dan,
Most of what you are looking at will be fine - but remember it is only 70l...
If you get Dwarf Cichlids only get one pair, you will have to remember, though, that these aren't streamy water Fish and create some 'havens' for them away from the flow. Otherwise just remember that this new filter will take a while to catch up with the bio load of the tank (good idea to keep the internal running for a couple of weeks) so increase the stock levels gradually.

John

ITFS member.

More
10 Jul 2010 13:07 - 10 Jul 2010 13:08 #14 by dantheman (dantheman)
Thanks Gavin, Thanks John.

I'm not sure what type of shrimp, I like the look of amanno shrimp.

I'm going to give the dwarf cichlids a miss so, due to my preference for shrimp and the water flow in the tank. I'm hoping to get a schoal of rummys or cardinals, maybe 15 or 20 eventually. I just thought the dwarf cichlids would encorage grouping of the smaller fish.

When the tank is mature enough in a few months I was thinking of getting 5 ottos but would love other suggestions. They have to be small though!

On an edit note: I may go for some Danios, if I remember correct these guys love water flow?

Thanks,

Daniel.
Last edit: 10 Jul 2010 13:08 by dantheman (dantheman).

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Jul 2010 13:23 #15 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Replacing Rekord 70 housed filter with an exter
PM sent.

Kev.

More
10 Jul 2010 14:21 #16 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Id avoid getting 15 rummys for a 70 litre tank,they prefer to have lots of room to shoal and are quick fish,a 70 litre probably not ideal for them.
Perhaps consider something like galaxy rasboras,nice small fish that do well. If its shoaling fish you want,its often hard to acheive in tank conditions,however rummys are good for grouping but like I say,prefer lots of room to fully display their shoaling. Perhaps a good few Harlequin rasbora would acheive something similar.
Ammano shrimp are nice.
Danios do like flow,they are originally from streams & Rivers. Similar to the rummys in that they too like to swim quite abit and like room to do so.

Gavin

More
12 Jul 2010 07:43 #17 by dantheman (dantheman)
Thanks Kev, Thanks Gavin!

The tank is going really well now. It had been a bit cloudy since I set up the new filter (and removed the old one) but I added some stinky Microbe Lift (Thanks Kev!) and after one night the water is really exceptionaly clear, though lightly tinted by the bog wood which was expected.

I've decided to get "Popondetta Furcatta" as they seem naturaly suited to my tank confitions: good water flow, ph 7.5, lots of plants and bogwood and a few stones. I wanted really small fish and these seem the best.

I'm planning to get 2 cherry shrimp and 2 Ammano shrimp.

I may get some ottos when the tank matures to deal with any algae.

If anyone can spot issues with this mix, please let me know!

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Jul 2010 08:14 - 12 Jul 2010 08:16 #18 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Replacing Rekord 70 housed filter with an exter
I just love Poppendettas, just check the ph and hardness of your Water, I'm sure they require hardish water with a ph of 7 or more but I'm not sure so Google it.

Kev.

Sorry Dan, ignore the above, I just woke up and am still out there, next time I'll read the post completely before typing lol.

Kev.
Last edit: 12 Jul 2010 08:16 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
12 Jul 2010 09:56 #19 by Gerry The Chip (Gerard)
Great choice, i love them Poppindetta too, have 4 in my tank. Constantly swimming against the current, great to watch.From what i heard they do best in a planted. Kinsealy still have some babies if your still lookin for them. Gerry

More
14 Jul 2010 21:18 - 15 Jul 2010 00:16 #20 by dantheman (dantheman)
Thanks Kev,

Thanks Gerry.
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Jul 2010 00:16 by dantheman (dantheman).

More
14 Jul 2010 21:21 - 15 Jul 2010 14:27 #21 by dantheman (dantheman)
I had a few more queries but I moved them to the beginners section as they were no longer relevant to "Equipment".

Thanks again for the help.
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Jul 2010 14:27 by dantheman (dantheman).

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds