Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

spot the difference!!

More
26 Aug 2010 23:49 #1 by dyco619 (steve carmody)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2010 00:00 #2 by dar (darren curry)
the fish in the pic at 25.5?

the price difference?

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
27 Aug 2010 00:03 #3 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I would suggest that you avoid digital LCD thermometers as they are wildly inaccurate in my experience. I had several on my tanks and felt that the temperatures in each tank were different despite the various digital thermometers reading in or about the same.

I eventually bought a food grade thermometer from Seahorse and found that there was +/- 3c in the difference. That's a lot when it comes to the welfare of your fish and your ESB bill.

Besides food grade, I find that the bog standard mercury thermometers are more reliable.

Regards,

Ken.

More
27 Aug 2010 00:17 #4 by dyco619 (steve carmody)
KenS wrote:

I would suggest that you avoid digital LCD thermometers as they are wildly inaccurate in my experience. I had several on my tanks and felt that the temperatures in each tank were different despite the various digital thermometers reading in or about the same.

I eventually bought a food grade thermometer from Seahorse and found that there was +/- 3c in the difference. That's a lot when it comes to the welfare of your fish and your ESB bill.

Besides food grade, I find that the bog standard mercury thermometers are more reliable.

i was a bit worried about that when i bought one but i tested it against the bog standard thermometers
for a few months and found them spot on.

yes dar the price diff is unreal!! such a rip off!!!

More
27 Aug 2010 00:23 - 27 Aug 2010 00:24 #5 by Ma (mm mm)
Replied by Ma (mm mm) on topic Re:spot the difference!!
One might work one might not, different colours on em, ones prob real, tother a cheap knock off possibly. You get nothing for nothing thats for sure. Does the cable thingy come with the first one even?

I use the auld strips, stick it on, accurate and cheap no juice. Had a digital, always 2 degrees C less than actual temp. Piece of rubbish.

They both look like recycled cheap sports watches:)

Mark

Location D.11
Last edit: 27 Aug 2010 00:24 by Ma (mm mm).

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Aug 2010 00:24 #6 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:spot the difference!!
I would only recommend alcohol/Red liquid Thermometers as Mercury ones can break releasing the Liquid into the Water, a danger to you and or the Fish etc. Alcohol Thermometers, if broken, only release Alcohol which evaporates or dissipates harmlessly.

Kev.

More
27 Aug 2010 00:44 #7 by dyco619 (steve carmody)
Mark. wrote:

One might work one might not, different colours on em, ones prob real, tother a cheap knock off possibly. You get nothing for nothing thats for sure. Does the cable thingy come with the first one even?

they are both the exact same, they are both made in hong kong, but if you want to buy from an irish seller you get to pay nearly 4 times as much... :huh: :huh:

More
27 Aug 2010 00:54 - 27 Aug 2010 00:55 #8 by Ma (mm mm)
Replied by Ma (mm mm) on topic Re:spot the difference!!
dyco619 wrote:

Mark. wrote:

they are both the exact same, they are both made in hong kong, but if you want to buy from an irish seller you get to pay nearly 4 times as much... :huh: :huh:

Chancers. Now I can go buy 7 for cheaper and still not know what the actual temp my tank is:laugh:

Mark

Location D.11
Last edit: 27 Aug 2010 00:55 by Ma (mm mm).

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds