Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

TETRA EasyBalance IS this a load of bull

More
13 Mar 2007 06:44 #1 by Tetra (Tetra)
Just read this (below) can't seeing this to be true no water changes for six months :roll: :roll:

It's all thanks to EasyBalance - a revolutionary new liquid water additive, which cleverly eliminates the need for frequent water changes.

Until now, there was really only one way you could keep your aquarium water properly balanced. That was by removing some of the old water every few weeks and replacing it with fresh - a messy and time-consuming chore.

Now EasyBalance changes everything - researched and developed over many years, long term tests have proved conclusively that TetraAqua EasyBalance actually eliminates the need for frequent water changes.

In effect, when EasyBalance is added to the aquarium, it replicates the 'refreshing' action of traditional water changes - so now fishkeeping will be much easier and cleaner.

Now, using a little EasyBalance every week will keep your aquarium water in chemical and biological balance for six months.

And that in turn means you will only have to do one water change every six months. Always assuming you've got the bottle.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2007 06:53 #2 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Whether it works or not, it's still cheaper to do water changes.

I prefer to maintain my tank naturally rather than adding chemicals. The only chemical I add to my tank is dechlorinator and meds when needed.

Regards,

Ken.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2007 06:53 #3 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: TETRA EasyBalance IS this a load of bull
Chemically you can remove most nitrous (aka ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) compounds. No big deal. But why bother using that stuff. You will have to clean the tank of food leftovers, faceas, decaying plant material, etc. anyway. Might as well change water while you are at it.
Even if it works it's very pricey

More
13 Mar 2007 07:35 #4 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)

a messy and time-consuming chore.

I happen to like doing water changes!

Can you imagine the amount of crap and debris that would be left in the bottom of your tank if you didn't do some sort of maintenance every week. Minging! Plus the water would drop considerable after the first month. It would end up looking like fish soup if you waited the six months. :roll: :roll:

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

More
13 Mar 2007 07:39 #5 by Tetra (Tetra)
Iv just bought an electronic eheim gravel vac which returns the water to the tank while removing the waste this means it would save me carrying water to my tank if this stuff really works.
anyone every used this before
oh and just waiting on my eheim vac to arrive are they any good

More
13 Mar 2007 08:14 #6 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
I have never seen an electronic gravel vac working or even heard a review about one. Yours will be the first! Personally I think it might be a bit of a "gimmick" and I think I would stick with my gravity powered cleaner.

Please let us know what you think of it! How much did it cost by the way?

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2007 09:31 #7 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: TETRA EasyBalance IS this a load of bull
Over at Badmans tropical fish society webpage their mantra is simple and oft repeated:

'Fresh water fish love fresh water'

I do my changes once a week.
Its not such a chore and once you into the habit its quite good for your fish to get used to 'The hand from above' entering their abode evry now and then.

My Gourami are now fearless and happily peck my arm while I clean the tank.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2007 09:39 #8 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: TETRA EasyBalance IS this a load of bull
I use Siporax in my tank an I have virtually no nitrate. Technically I don`t need to do water changes but I still do them because I like to keep my fish in clean water.

More
16 Apr 2007 15:55 #9 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Tetra-Tetra, i have used this in one of my tanks for 2 years or even a little longer.
i found it worked really well. I had no water quality problems, no Algae issues and no unnatural fish deaths. I would give it a thumbs up.
The only reason i stopped using it was because i picked up a bottle of nitrateminus by mistake in a shop one day.
I would still do a water change every month or so but i wouldn't do a gravel clean. Why? because i couldn't get near the gravel with all the java moss etc. see photo.
i11.photobucket.com/albums/a171/platty252/Killitankjavamoss.jpg
I only started using this because i was given a large sample of it to try out.
Even though i taught it was good you wont beat water changes for good clean water.

As regards the gravel vacs. I borrowed one once (and broke it) to see what they were like. IMO a total nuisance. Fiddly and messy.
Maybe the one you have ordered is a much better one than the piece of junk i borrowed.
What ever you decided to do i hope it works well for you.

Admin. even when i disable bb code picture wont appear, only the link. Any ideas?

More
17 Apr 2007 09:14 #10 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
wierd.

click Img .. paste in url. then click Img again
so you should have a string of text that looks like
(img)i11.photobucket.com/albums/a171/platty25...nkjavamoss.jpg(/img) only with square brackets

More
17 Apr 2007 16:07 #11 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Cheers arabesque.
I normally have no trouble but i just could'nt get the photo up this time.

More
25 Jun 2007 13:59 #12 by richardbunn (Richard Bunn)
I'm with Platy252 on this product. I love it. I use it on a tank that is very heavily planted & have done for a couple of years. In the early days I watched the water parameters closely & found out that the 6 month water change was fine. I've fish spawning in there so they must like the water. It's particularly useful for people (like me) with back trouble as it minimises the buckets of water quite a bit so the cost of the product is definately a better option than the cost of a chiropracter.

@Platy252, you said you stopped using it coz you picked up Nitrate minus. I've not tried that as I use the E.B. Is it any better?

"Everything's going perfectly in my aquarium. What do I do???"

More
25 Jun 2007 14:11 #13 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
To be honest i couldent tell you if it's any better.
I only used it once or twice. It clouds the water when you first put it in and clears after a while.
Dose it work? I honestly dont know since i didn't use it enough to see any results.
I would assume it works the same as the Nitrate minus balls that you put into the substrate.

More
27 Jun 2007 03:36 #14 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:roll:

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

More
27 Jun 2007 10:13 #15 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Jun 2007 11:26 #16 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: TETRA EasyBalance IS this a load of bull

:?:

May have had something to do with putting balls into the substrate!!!

What are they anyway?

More
27 Jun 2007 11:41 #17 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Nitrate minus are little white balls (no laughing jack) you put into the substrate to help remove Nitrate.
If you want to use this i would suggest placing it at the bottom of the tank before the substrate goes in.
It is lighter than gravel and will be removed during gravel cleaning.
www.tetra-fish.co.uk/tetratropical/products/nitrateminus.asp

More
27 Jun 2007 11:45 #18 by richardbunn (Richard Bunn)
People may mock the EB but my low tech planted tank is living proof that it does exactly what it says on the bottle. Actually, to the point that I now have some green spot algae growing on the glass because the phosphate level is soooo low. I'm gonna have to start adding some of my own now.

"Everything's going perfectly in my aquarium. What do I do???"

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds