Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Another shop closed in Northwest !!!

More
05 Jan 2014 09:59 #1 by Reefaholic (adrian)
hi all as ye probally know we are getting the worst weather in years down here in the northwest and we are getting very big high tides and to which has caused us alot of greif in the last few days as our shop is located near the quays in the town and on thurs night/friday morning i went to work as normal and whn i reached work i seen alot of fire brigades etc around the area i work and then noticed my shop was closed which i found very strange(alarm bells start ringing in my head did i flood the place by leaving my tap on for topping up my tanks) but no thenk god wasnt my fault it was alot worse than this the hide tide had came in at 6am that morning and flooded our shop out from wall 2 wall and about 6-8inchs of water :( not a very thing to be waking upto i can tell u frighting if anything that nature can do what it does you can necer tell whats going to happen from day 2 day...after the clean out alday the company decided to shut the doors for good as alot of damage was done to the shop and to my aquasection its a sad day for me and the rest who worked here and not so good start to a new year im going to be a bum again as i cant see myslf getting work in my area for a long time i reckon !!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2014 10:18 #2 by Homer (Kevin)
So sorry to hear this Adrian.

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
05 Jan 2014 10:42 #3 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Sorry to hear that man. Hoppefully things will get better for you.
Regards
Anthony

More
05 Jan 2014 10:57 #4 by Reefaholic (adrian)
thanks guys have been in the dumps the last few days cuming to terms that i wont be working for awhile until i find sumthing else that i like as this was my favorite job ever and to find sumthing like this again i dont think i will !!!

More
05 Jan 2014 11:34 #5 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
Sorry to hear that. The weather has been terrible and the human effect has been a lot worse. Hope you get sorted and the year improves

More
05 Jan 2014 11:42 #6 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
I ve been there before before and my advice to you is to take it as an opportunity.
I was a forestry technician in France and was training to become a mountain guide fell 25 m broke 2 ankles injured my back was in a wheel chair for a few months and many months of rehabilitation.couldnt do forestry anymore and evenless mountainering
Retrained to become a furniture maker started surfing again moved to Ireland met my wife have two kids.
My point is you never know what life brings you but as long as you are healthy and keep your mind open life will reward you.
I just hope i dont sound to patronising !
Good luck
Anthony

More
05 Jan 2014 14:26 #7 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Very sorry to hear
Maybe an investor will come along and decide give it another go......
Don't loose hope
Things always seem the darkest they can get before the sun rises again and improvements come along

More
05 Jan 2014 18:02 #8 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Really sorry to hear about your bad news....2014 can only get better!! Awful to lose ur job and really feel for you....hopefully someone with a few quid will see the opportunity within the local community and take the leap into the fish world....

More
05 Jan 2014 21:07 #9 by killikid (donald carson)
Sorry to hear about the Job Adi,I know how much it ment to you.Don

More
06 Jan 2014 10:19 #10 by Reefaholic (adrian)

Sorry to hear about the Job Adi,I know how much it ment to you.Don

thanks don thank you its a real shame as it was my favorite job of all time...i guess things never last forever as for someone else stepping in i dont think this is goin to happen anytime soon !!!

More
08 Jan 2014 00:23 #11 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney)
I am so sorry about your job. I loved the store, all staff were always very friendly and helpful, and I am really going to miss it.

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds