Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Other Pets

More
26 Apr 2009 21:32 #1 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
Just wondering does any other forum members keep any other interesting pets like reptiles or parrots so on, so on......

If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2009 21:45 #2 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
You got to love rabbits ;)

This is Anna, if you fall asleep on the couch she likes to jump on you till you wake up

More
26 Apr 2009 21:50 #3 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
nothing overly unusual due lack of space!!!!!!!!!!!

we have at the moment:
Pupser and shiver the dogs and sometime in the next 18 months we are adding an Irish Glen of Imaal Terrier.

We have Zebra finches and Bengalese Society finch (16 at the moment)
when we move we will be adding more varieties

Catherine is interested Bearded Dragons and i just like pets of every type.

ask again in a few months and this will change i would give my wish list but don't want to hog all the space on the forum.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
26 Apr 2009 21:56 #4 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
ah cool mickey i actually breed beardies so if you's are serious on gettin one in a while give me a shout mine should be breeding again soon!

in my house we have 2 bearded dragons, my 180 tank, my black headed caique parrot thats all in my room there's my lil sisters rabbit and guinea pig out the back
thats all can fit any more haha

If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

More
26 Apr 2009 21:56 #5 by mrsFishpatrick (Astrid Fitzpatrick)
Just a cat, and my 2 kids (they are my animals:laugh: )

More
26 Apr 2009 22:01 #6 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
mickeywallace wrote:

Catherine is interested Bearded Dragons and i just like pets of every type.

mickey im going to buy a Bearded Dragon for my other half and i need to have it in 3 weeks :dry:
Any tips on what i need or could you ask the boss can she give any tips?:blush:

LB

More
26 Apr 2009 22:05 #7 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
you done much research on it LB?

what ya need to know?

More
26 Apr 2009 22:11 - 26 Apr 2009 22:14 #8 by Trimax (Trimax)
Replied by Trimax (Trimax) on topic Re:Other Pets
I Have now 4 aquariums, 2 beardies breeding pair, A black Lab named Charlie he's 9 months and a handful!

I have kept in the past : Bosc Monitor, Green Iguana, Horned mountain dragon, 7 budgies, 3 rabbits, 11 degu's, hamsters dwarfs and otherwise, A Corn Snake and at one point 7 aquariums at the same time.

I have kept hundreds of different species of fish and reptiles in my old job. I am gonba get another Varanoid (Monitor) or maybe a Teid (Tegu) sometime in the future. ;) My main areas of interest are fish and reptiles, hope to have 2 brick sheds 1 day, one fishhouse and the other filled with vivariums.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2009 22:14 by Trimax (Trimax).

More
26 Apr 2009 22:28 #9 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
SB87 wrote:

you done much research on it LB?

what ya need to know?

Well all I know so far is I don’t need to cycle the tank
I hope to have every thing for him for less than 500 euro
I think I need a heat pad, heat lamp, spray bottle? Some fake plants? They like to climb?
For food I know they eat crickets and calcium powder is essential.
I would like a waterfall in there but not sure if that can be done?

LB :blink:

More
26 Apr 2009 22:28 #10 by cardinal (Lar Savage)
Replied by cardinal (Lar Savage) on topic Re:Other Pets
Well
we have the baby of the family.....Sam .....A springer who is thick as S**t and twice as smelly......:laugh: he's getting old now and a bit deaf the pic below was taken a while ago ....i was looking at some chameleons a while ago but the missus would probably send me packing.....Live crickets ect don't do it for her (micro worms are bad enough ..:laugh: ).... Trimax ....I have a shed lined up for something like that (Brick Built,slate roof & fully insulated )but my son and his band practise there...so I'm just waiting for him to get a job ...buy his own house ...and move his drum kit out...the way things are going ....That will be in 30 years or so...:laugh: :laugh:

More
26 Apr 2009 22:30 #11 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
your son plays drums?

cool!!

thats my other vice my drum kit has cost me 3000 so far haha

More
26 Apr 2009 22:37 #12 by cardinal (Lar Savage)

thats my other vice my drum kit has cost me 3000 so far haha

Hiya SB
Yep he plays drums ...don't know how much its cost me ( I prefer not to think about it to be honest).....But the lads enjoy themselves and I've been assured that some day they will all be millionaire Rock stars and I'll be paid back in full....:laugh:

• wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Apr 2009 22:38 #13 by wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
Replied by wolfsburg (wolfsburg) on topic Re:Other Pets
2 dogs, 2 cats (and 2 more sort of cats), a quaker parrot, poison dart frog, 3 harlequinn rasboras, 4 otocinclus, 2 cherry shrimp, about 30 juvenile guppies. ;)

More
26 Apr 2009 22:41 #14 by cardinal (Lar Savage)
Hmmmmm
Picture didn't show up....anyway take it from me ...His name is Sam... he is a springer...He is deaf....He does smell....and we do love him......:) :) :)

PS...Is it just him or are all springer's a bit mad...???

More
26 Apr 2009 23:23 #15 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
i want one!!!!

society finch

shiver and pupser

i wish this was mine to

SB87 wrote:

ah cool mickey i actually breed beardies so if you's are serious on gettin one in a while give me a shout mine should be breeding again soon!

in my house we have 2 bearded dragons, my 180 tank, my black headed caique parrot thats all in my room there's my lil sisters rabbit and guinea pig out the back
thats all can fit any more haha

would be very interested we are moving next month to the new house the David i is due the 24 of MAY

and this will be the pet room

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
27 Apr 2009 00:23 #16 by Trimax (Trimax)
cardinal wrote:

Well
we have the baby of the family.....Sam .....A springer who is thick as S**t and twice as smelly......:laugh: he's getting old now and a bit deaf the pic below was taken a while ago ....i was looking at some chameleons a while ago but the missus would probably send me packing.....Live crickets ect don't do it for her (micro worms are bad enough ..:laugh: ).... Trimax ....I have a shed lined up for something like that (Brick Built,slate roof & fully insulated )but my son and his band practise there...so I'm just waiting for him to get a job ...buy his own house ...and move his drum kit out...the way things are going ....That will be in 30 years or so...:laugh: :laugh:

Ha ha I put my parents through the same thing when I was a teen, me and my bro jammin in the "tool" shed. He'll grow out of it!

More
27 Apr 2009 00:49 - 27 Apr 2009 01:06 #17 by Trimax (Trimax)

Well all I know so far is I don?t need to cycle the tankI hope to have every thing for him for less than 500 euro I think I need a heat pad, heat lamp, spray bottle? Some fake plants? They like to climb? For food I know they eat crickets and calcium powder is essential.I would like a waterfall in there but not sure if that can be done?

Wow your really not prepared for this at all! ( sorry!) No spray bottle! Luckily I've done years of research on Agamids. I will PM you a link to a care sheet I wrote. ;)
Last edit: 27 Apr 2009 01:06 by Trimax (Trimax).

More
27 Apr 2009 09:31 #18 by rclerkin (Rory Clerkin)
I'm lucky enough to have a pet mad fiancé. I'm the one providing the voice of reason :)
Other than our 60L community tank which we got on a whim and I really got stuck into, we've got two bearded dragons, boys, but they havn't gotten territorial. They actually seem to get along great. We've also got two cats which are great.
We had a Chinese water dragon and he was great but he got a bacterial infection that we couldn't get rid of and he finally died in the vets.

Beardies are great to keep and very docile when it comes to handling them. I'd recommend feeding them locusts because they're quiet compared to the crickets and they're a little slower moving which makes them easy for the beardies to catch. For €500 you should be able to get a really nice set up. I'd recommend a 4 foot tank as they get quite big and need a lot of space in less than a year. Sand substrates can be a problem as it can lead to impaction if they keep swallowing it with their food. I had a scare with that and I wouldn't use sand again. There's plenty of alternatives.

Rory

More
27 Apr 2009 10:12 #19 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
Thanks for the info Jim & Rory

LB

More
27 Apr 2009 16:42 #20 by Trimax (Trimax)
Impaction of the gut from accidentally eating sand only occurs in neonates and juveniles. I've kept around 50 different adults on calci sand with no issues. Sand doesn't smell half as much as other substrates esp if you pick out the poo's daily. The zoo'med sand scooper works a charm for keeping the sand debris free. Also avoid mealworms with young lizards, they can eat through the intestinal wall in juveniles.

More
27 Apr 2009 16:51 #21 by pointer28 (Noel Lambert)
Two dogs, a Springer Spaniel called Abbey and a Border Terrier cross called Rusty. I also have two ferrets, and three small fish tanks.

More
27 Apr 2009 17:01 #22 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
Trimax wrote:

Impaction of the gut from accidentally eating sand only occurs in neonates and juveniles. I've kept around 50 different adults on calci sand with no issues. Sand doesn't smell half as much as other substrates esp if you pick out the poo's daily. The zoo'med sand scooper works a charm for keeping the sand debris free. Also avoid mealworms with young lizards, they can eat through the intestinal wall in juveniles.

I asked the guy in the shop today about Impaction and he said it depends on the sand you use, the sand he has dose not stick together when it gets wet so it’s not a problem. Dose this sound correct?

More
27 Apr 2009 18:40 - 27 Apr 2009 18:49 #23 by funkychic (trish coughlan)
hi all i have my goldfish 70 liter tank . two dogs merlin and moby merlins a border collie and mobys a shit zu mix . there all great .

if i had the space i would have breaded dragons . turtles , parrots , monkeys ,
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Apr 2009 18:49 by funkychic (trish coughlan).

More
27 Apr 2009 20:28 #24 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Besides the fish I have a gorgeous 11 month old cat called "Lucky". Named Lucky as we rescued her from an animal centre at 10 weeks as a kitten and she is the baby of our house now thats for sure!

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Apr 2009 21:54 #25 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:Other Pets
In addition to my 4 fish tanks, an antisocial cat called Charlotte, a super cuddly cat called Rudi and a dote of a labrador/collie cross called Casper! :-)

Valerie

More
27 Apr 2009 22:50 #26 by Trimax (Trimax)
LimerickBandit wrote:

Trimax wrote:

I asked the guy in the shop today about Impaction and he said it depends on the sand you use, the sand he has dose not stick together when it gets wet so it’s not a problem. Dose this sound correct?

nearly ! it's about the size of the young beardies intestine and the grade of the sand, ie finer sand is worse as it's more likely to impact. Normal Coral sand (course not fine) works great. Just keep the young beardie on newspaper untill 9 months.

More
28 Apr 2009 09:06 - 28 Apr 2009 09:09 #27 by TomNolan (Tommy Nolan)
Up until a year or so ago we had four dogs in the house, a springer spaniel and an old english sheep dog plus two other mutts :laugh: Unfortunately we had to get the old english sheepdog put to sleep august of last year aged 12, and the springer spaniel the year before aged 17. As well as two big fish tanks I have a 6 year old African grey and a 12 year old cockatiel..Always wanted a bearded dragon or an Iguana though..some day! B)
Last edit: 28 Apr 2009 09:09 by TomNolan (Tommy Nolan).

More
28 Apr 2009 21:16 #28 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Fishowner wrote:

Besides the fish I have a gorgeous 11 month old cat called "Lucky". Named Lucky as we rescued her from an animal centre at 10 weeks as a kitten and she is the baby of our house now thats for sure!

Tried to turn her into a catfish but she wasnt having any of it!!! :P

More
28 Apr 2009 22:23 #29 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
excellent pic... "lucky" that tank wasnt full:)

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
29 Apr 2009 23:20 #30 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Replied by Acara (Dave Walters) on topic Re:Other Pets
I have 2 cats and a cook.
I use to keep birds as a youngster,and over the last few days am seriously considering knocking together a medium size flight and getting a few again.Probably just something small,finches(zebra),Chinese painted quail and/or mules.My father always use to talk about these,I dont know much,but believe they're a cross of a canary and goldfinch,and have the most amazing song.
In the past kept,canaries,Budgies(budgerigar apparantly Aboriginal word for 'good eating':ohmy: ,turquoisines,quail,cockatiels,pigeons,zebra finches)

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds