Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

My 12 Year Old Silver Arowana Died Today.....

More
28 Sep 2009 12:00 - 28 Sep 2009 12:01 #1 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Pikachu just couldnt stand the floodwater in Manila Philippines...Its tank was under 10 feet of water and he can only take so much of the bad and possible very brackish water....I also lost 50 assorted cichlids and 8 large Kois in my outdoor pond...all swept away by the trampaging flood that was 6x worst that hurricane Katrina....Our house is mostly gone....nothing much left... I couldnt do anything much.....=(((

Here's Pikachu first picture...taken back in 2002

A much newer but still older picture...miss you Pikachu and sorry for leaving you behind.

Fishkeeping CV: Co-founded, 1st President of the only surviving Fishkeeping Club (Accredited by Dept. of Fisheries) in the Philippines (mypalhs.com). I have mostly reared tropicals - Arowanas and monster fishes. My oldest arowana is 13years old (died in a tropical storm). Ive since reared a Black,...
Last edit: 28 Sep 2009 12:01 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2009 12:04 #2 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
He always loved frogs but it was inappropriate so it the last 3 years or so he had been on 100% pellets.

Fishkeeping CV: Co-founded, 1st President of the only surviving Fishkeeping Club (Accredited by Dept. of Fisheries) in the Philippines (mypalhs.com). I have mostly reared tropicals - Arowanas and monster fishes. My oldest arowana is 13years old (died in a tropical storm). Ive since reared a Black,...

More
28 Sep 2009 12:15 #3 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Here's Pikachu's Close-up

More
28 Sep 2009 12:31 #4 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
Sorry to hear of the loss from mother nature at work, I hope everyone you know is safe and healthy back home in Manila.
Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Sep 2009 12:47 #5 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:My 12 Year Old Silver Arowana Died Today.....
Andrew wrote:

Sorry to hear of the loss from mother nature at work, I hope everyone you know is safe and healthy back home in Manila.
Andrew

X2

Sorry for your loss Ian

More
28 Sep 2009 13:10 #6 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Thanks Andrew and Patrick, my mother, 2 sisters and nephew are all safe. They are all in the rebuilding/recovery mode....

More
28 Sep 2009 13:12 #7 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Then Koi Pond...

Caught a Tilapia in there too...

• scubadim (scubadim)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Sep 2009 14:49 #8 by scubadim (scubadim)
Replied by scubadim (scubadim) on topic Re:My 12 Year Old Silver Arowana Died Today.....
Hi Ian,
Sorry to hear about the disaster.I hope better things are coming your way now.
Dimitri.

More
28 Sep 2009 15:05 #9 by convict84 (sean farrell)
sorry to hear the bad news man,hope everything works out for you and your family

More
28 Sep 2009 16:20 #10 by pkearney (Phil Kearney)
sorry to hear about your loss ian.but it is only a fish and your relations are all safe.
phil

More
28 Sep 2009 16:33 #11 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
pkearney wrote:

sorry to hear about your loss ian.but it is only a fish and your relations are all safe.
phil

Thanks Phil. My silver arowana is trully one of a kind...I reared it from a 3in fry...now dead at 34inches! Its thickest part of its body is about 5in....very heavy! It gave me lots of inspiration during my busy life at work and my family.....it gave me so much inspiration to my hobby that it brought me to organize, preside over one of the most highly recognized and accredited Philippine fish hobbyist organization where members come from all over the world...but then again he is just a fish like you said. :(

More
28 Sep 2009 16:41 #12 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
That was some bad weather you got. It is unfortunate you lost your fish after having him for so long. He probably taught he was free when the room filled with water.
Your family are safe, that's the main thing.

Darren.

More
28 Sep 2009 16:48 #13 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Thanks all lads...now I got no fish to worry about back home. I can focus on my fishes here in Dublin, my family home are reconstructing whats destroyed back home....new storms are coming in so the trouble hasnt passed.
www.facebook.com/home.php#/album.php?aid...=581988848&ref=share

More
28 Sep 2009 18:01 #14 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Ian,
Sorry to hear of the loss, thankfully your family are all safe which is the main thing,but I know the loss of the arowana is tough. Im not one for them myself (I prefer smaller fish) but I must say yours looked very healthy and special.
Anyhow, keep the chin up.
Gavin

More
29 Sep 2009 15:24 #15 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Fishowner wrote:

Ian,
Sorry to hear of the loss, thankfully your family are all safe which is the main thing,but I know the loss of the arowana is tough. Im not one for them myself (I prefer smaller fish) but I must say yours looked very healthy and special.
Anyhow, keep the chin up.
Gavin

Thanks Gavin, i guess I would have given my silver to someone who breeds them in retrospect...that would have been a great thing for him than just growing by itself all these years...sorry for thinking of him more than just a pet or something...I had him buried in my backyard instead of just disposing in the bin.

Thanks for everyone for their concern

More
30 Sep 2009 03:13 #16 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
thats really tough news Ian but at least your family is safe thats the main thing, fish can be replaced but family cant, hope all goes well for you and them, our best wishes for the future go out to you

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
30 Sep 2009 09:59 #17 by karlo (karlo kennedy)
hey seen the pics www.facebook.com/home.php#/album.php?aid...988848&ref=share
some scary stuff its an eye opener to see whats really going on in the world and glad your family are safe and hope nothing bad comes for the next bad weather you said is coming

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds