Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Nice to see you...To see you Nice!

More
23 May 2010 20:12 - 23 May 2010 20:53 #1 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Hi guy's
What a blistering day eh! Pass the factor 60 :laugh:
I had a great time at the show and I'm sure I can speak for Donald as well, exhibits were excellent and the trade stands were great. Raffle prizes were second to none (even though us foreigners never got a sniff ):laugh:
I only regret was that I'd wished I'd came down on the Saturday to bench some fish and take in the lecture.
Congratulations to the organising committee for a great day out.
I met lots of new acquaintances, characters and fishy folk.
I will certainly be more informed for when we return next year.
Thanks Guy's this was not to be missed.
Regards
C

PS....I've recently developed an interest in Poison Dart Frogs, (specifically Dendrobates leucomelas)

I'm going to try and accommodate them into a South American Endemic Rainforest Paludarium Build.
I have a display tank set-up almost ready to go. Can anyone give me the name of the guy manning the herp stand as I didn't get a chance to have a word with him. Thanks in advance....Colin
Last edit: 23 May 2010 20:53 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 May 2010 20:28 #2 by wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
Replied by wolfsburg (wolfsburg) on topic Re:Nice to see you...To see you Nice!
Same here! Seems quite alien to approach people and say "Hi I am so and so. Who are you?" But it was worth it, nice to chat to some people who I had never spoken to before face to face such as John, Astrid, Kiwi Dave, Mickey, Andrew etc (Sorry if I have forgotten anyone)! And you and your friend Colin!
Wish I had time to join club and attend meetings!

That was Ian, igmillichip is his username I think. Of course you can always hit up young Mark in Cold Heart there! He is big into his PDF's.

More
23 May 2010 20:31 #3 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)
Had a fantastic day too .... 21:35 here and only just back in the door . A huge congrats to the committee on a fantastic day , and as always a real pleasure to meet with everyone .

Just for anyone who's interested , i have uploaded a few photos i took today on my fb page . I hope i got a few nice shots and did everyone's fish justice

Thanx again to everyone

Martin

P.S. ........Almost forgot ..... my fb profile is www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=440119&id...50491&saved#!/duzzy1

More
23 May 2010 20:36 - 23 May 2010 21:32 #4 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Cheers Rory for the heads up
Regards
C
Last edit: 23 May 2010 21:32 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

More
23 May 2010 20:39 #5 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
duzzy1 wrote:

Had a fantastic day too .... 21:35 here and only just back in the door . A huge congrats to the committee on a fantastic day , and as always a real pleasure to meet with everyone .

Just for anyone who's interested , i have uploaded a few photos i took today on my fb page . I hope i got a few nice shots and did everyone's fish justice

Thanx again to everyone

Martin

P.S. ........Almost forgot ..... my fb profile is www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=440119&id...50491&saved#!/duzzy1

Thanks Martin, great photos!

Regards,

Ken.

More
23 May 2010 20:41 #6 by Gerry The Chip (Gerard)
Cant believe i missed it :-( wont bore you with the details, but im gutted would hav loving to be there. Jus hav to wait till next year.

More
23 May 2010 21:02 #7 by lestat (Stuie)
was really a great day, putting names to faces and the craic was brilliant too, thanks alot to the organisers it was fantastic,ill defo be entering fish in next year so watch out JohnH haha;) only buzzin,ill post my pics up too ,you got some great pics der Martin Fair play
Regards Stuie

More
23 May 2010 21:33 - 23 May 2010 21:36 #8 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
I haven't seen JohnH surface yet he must be too busy polishing his trophies and acclimatizing his Killi's :laugh:
Last edit: 23 May 2010 21:36 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

More
23 May 2010 21:41 - 23 May 2010 21:42 #9 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)
cheers for the comments guys ... I'm delighted with how the shots turned out ...... although i gotta say , its very easy get a nice photo when the fish are of the standard i saw today !! well done to all who benched

Martin

P.S. also put the shots on photobucket

s1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/duzzy1.../ITFS%20SHOW%202010/
Last edit: 23 May 2010 21:42 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy).

More
23 May 2010 21:44 #10 by Tetra (Tetra)
Couldn't make it myself have been dying with a severe migrane since friday and only starting to get over it now thankfully. Not good when its a lovely day outside and your stuck in bed in a dark stuffey room.Apolgises to Andrew received your text read it around 1 ish that day and was really in no state to help out or even reply.
Martin pics look great love the ram anyone know what its called?
Hope everyone had a great day and look forward to seeing more pics and hearing who won the raffle prizes.
Padraig

More
23 May 2010 21:45 #11 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)
I call him petey .... He's a german blue ( longfin variety )

I bought him earlier along with a female too

More
23 May 2010 21:47 #12 by dar (darren curry)
Puddlefish wrote:

I haven't seen JohnH surface yet he must be too busy polishing his trophies and acclimatizing his Killi's :laugh:

dam he had killi's best run back out to the boot of my car and get them off him, i'l tell him you said hi, but im not removing the duct tape so just take it as he said "hello" lol. im raging i missed it

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
23 May 2010 21:49 #13 by Tetra (Tetra)
duzzy1 wrote:

I call him petey .... He's a german blue ( longfin variety )

I bought him earlier along with a female too

Tis a beauty you planning on breeding them?

More
23 May 2010 21:51 - 23 May 2010 21:52 #14 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)
well i just put them in a tank on their own so thats the plan anyway ... will do a bit of research and talk to the folks on the forum here for advise ... then see how i get on i guess

Martin
Last edit: 23 May 2010 21:52 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy). Reason: half asleep ..... typos everywhere

More
23 May 2010 21:56 #15 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)

dam he had killi's best run back out to the boot of my car and get them off him, i'l tell him you said hi, but im not removing the duct tape so just take it as he said "hello" lol. im raging i missed it

He's no time for the forum, :laugh: he'll be busy watching them B) (his new acquisitions) as he got some crackers!

More
23 May 2010 21:56 #16 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
hey puddle,

the guy on the herp stand was ian, he's on this forum!

Great guy for info in dart frogs I always pick his brains when he's in the shop!

They are very interesting creatures I have a pair of the lucomelas and they are so cool

If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

More
23 May 2010 21:58 #17 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)
by the way ... i forgot to find out ... who benched the L121 ???

More
23 May 2010 21:59 #18 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Cheers Ste.
Will catch up with him later as I have a few questions to ask myself
Regards
C

• wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 May 2010 22:04 #19 by wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
darrencurry wrote:

That's kind of messed up.

More
23 May 2010 22:04 #20 by Acara (Dave Walters)
duzzy1 wrote:

by the way ... i forgot to find out ... who benched the L121 ???

Me.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
23 May 2010 22:05 #21 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
Well there was no question he couldn't answer for me! Reminds me I have to put pics of my pair up for him to have a look see!

If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

More
23 May 2010 22:08 #22 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)

More
23 May 2010 22:22 - 23 May 2010 22:29 #23 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Just as a matter of interest
"Did anyone else get a rollicking from the local neighbourhood wierdo for parking on the grass verge".
He went off on one on how we flattened the grass (not as if the freaking thing was some sort of bowling green)
Maybe he just wanted to have a go at us.
Suggested next time we should park on the road.....which would have blocked traffic DOH!
Anyone else bothered by the apparition. B)
Last edit: 23 May 2010 22:29 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

• wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 May 2010 22:26 #24 by wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
I parked in the car park of the pub/ shops beside the hall. It was pretty much empty while just outside the hall was jammers! B)

More
23 May 2010 22:52 #25 by dar (darren curry)
keep off the grass? i'd of ran him. it's not his grass. but there seems to be a lot of them folk around

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
23 May 2010 23:06 #26 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Nice to see everyone home safe and sound! blistering heat but well worth the discomfort to meet you all! got some new fish bristle nose plecs well pleased with them!!!!!!! in fact i sat in the car coming holding the bag up to David to study try putting them down and he cried:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: he loves HIS new Fish!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: have to say i was well impressed!!!!!!

but got home to a power cut so panic stations then realised power was back but the trip switch had triped still my heart is back to normal now:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
nice to see you all and can't wait till we meet again

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
23 May 2010 23:15 #27 by zig (zig)
Great day out really enjoyed it pretty wrecked now though I have to admit, the feet are sore! Cant believe some of you guys who travelled some distance are home so quick and posting again. I left the hall at 9 oc and they were still wrapping up.

Lots of highlights from the day for me, some great show winners, congrats especially to KenS winner 1,2,3 in cichlid class and overall best of show a true clean sweep right there. Met lots of people from the forum here and all the lads from the shops, great to see all of you folks (and all the new babys!!) Got a lovely pair of FP Scheeli from Donald who travelled down from Northern Ireland with Colin, they are settling in nicely already, thanks for bringing down the great fish lads. The sponsors were excellent some very big efforts on their behalf and some fantastic display tanks.

To many things to mention really, special thanks to everyone who bought a raffle ticket from me as well!! I think Des from Purrfect Pets and the Dalton gang (platty252) were the big winners there, they carried off the big loot! I was delighted for the young lad at the end who won the last prize of the Fluval roma tank and stand, hopefully another young lad recruited to the hobby that you should see in the shops quite soon, I was reliably informed the tank will be finding a new home in his bedroom, so delighted for him a great prize.

Basically a great day out, last but not least a special thanks to those who benched some fish the show wouldnt be possible without you folks thats for sure.

Regards
Peter

More
24 May 2010 00:06 #28 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Well i'm not long in and the fish have just gone back to there tanks.
Physically and mentally exhausted, but as always worth it.

Great photos Martin. It just shows the variety and standard of fish shown. Fair play to all that benched fish.

To tired now to comment any further. Bed zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

More
24 May 2010 13:27 #29 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Puddlefish wrote:

Hi guy's
What a blistering day eh! Pass the factor 60 :laugh:
I had a great time at the show and I'm sure I can speak for Donald as well, exhibits were excellent and the trade stands were great. Raffle prizes were second to none (even though us foreigners never got a sniff ):laugh:
I only regret was that I'd wished I'd came down on the Saturday to bench some fish and take in the lecture.
Congratulations to the organising committee for a great day out.
I met lots of new acquaintances, characters and fishy folk.
I will certainly be more informed for when we return next year.
Thanks Guy's this was not to be missed.
Regards
C

PS....I've recently developed an interest in Poison Dart Frogs, (specifically Dendrobates leucomelas)

I'm going to try and accommodate them into a South American Endemic Rainforest Paludarium Build.
I have a display tank set-up almost ready to go. Can anyone give me the name of the guy manning the herp stand as I didn't get a chance to have a word with him. Thanks in advance....Colin

Stephen wrote:

hey puddle,

the guy on the herp stand was ian, he's on this forum!

Great guy for info in dart frogs I always pick his brains when he's in the shop!

They are very interesting creatures I have a pair of the lucomelas and they are so cool

Yep. It was I.

Steve...thanks for the comments.

And...to others....it was great to put faces to usernames.

AND...Platy252....should you not be getting some well deserved rest.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds