Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Looking For Ideas

More
08 Apr 2012 22:24 - 08 Apr 2012 22:25 #1 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Hows things lads

at the min the Moderators are looking into getting the photo competitions back up and going and also other actives going on the forum

i am just putting this out there to see way yas have in mind at the end off the day it is yourself that is going to be lookin to do the competitions so that is why im looking to here wat ideas you have as in wat we could do

actives wise???????

photo competitions we where thinking something like

best full planted tank shot, full marine shot,species groups,invertebrates ect ect

the more ideas we get the more we can change it up each month

so the more ideas the better and that way we can keep a list off wat the ideas and look back on it

also just thinkin we could even do a poll each month before the competitions starts as to see wat type yas want that month there is so much we can do on the forum to keep it active and thats what we all want

so get thinkin lads and let us know

thanks a mill

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving
Last edit: 08 Apr 2012 22:25 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2012 08:47 #2 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
I am personally missing the photo competitions so I'm happy to see this thread.

The only problem I can see with narrow competitions is a potentially low entry number, ie not everyone has a specific set up.

Maybe this could be bypassed by running two or more themes at the same time? Or by using more general themes such as: feeding, breeding, fighting etc.

Melander

More
09 Apr 2012 18:07 #3 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
How about putting the Social and Rubbish in the Recent Topics..... Oh sorry is this just for Competitions? I :whistle:

More
09 Apr 2012 21:18 #4 by JSleator (Jason Sleator)
topics for this are kind of trick alright, i think its necessary to go as broad as possible so everyone can get an entry. You could go one broad and one niche each time, like feeding as broad topic, and planted as niche, or your favourite fish as broad, and marine as niche. I think having 2 topics either way opens up the scope for entries. You could also do every second competition as an open topic to see how it goes. Just to confuse you, on a small forum like this, there is nothing wrong with leaving it open category all the time!

Some other ideas:
Peoples catfish & loaches (suckers & algae eaters in general) most people will have them.
Shoaling fish
before & after pics
top down pics

Hope this helps a bit, Pardone me if these have been done in the past before i joined

Looking forward to the first competition! :cool:

More
09 Apr 2012 21:32 #5 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

How about putting the Social and Rubbish in the Recent Topics..... Oh sorry is this just for Competitions? I :whistle:

Sorry Mark yeah for the min we are just lookin for ideas for Competitions and ideas on themes and that

so lads come on im sure there is a lot out there and would love to here them as i said it is yourselfs that will benefit from this

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
10 Apr 2012 09:24 #6 by Ski (Alan McGee)
I would like to see oddball or monster fish photo competitions. Not sure how many photo's we would get though.

Alan.

More
11 Apr 2012 00:07 #7 by Jambomac (James McConville)
How about a guess that fish with a distorted image and clues.
and each day it can become less distorted if somebody hasn't already guest it.

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.”

quote Bruce Lee

More
11 Apr 2012 19:09 #8 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
good idea or along the same lines, a picture of a fish but zoomed way in and each day it gets zoomed out a bit until someone guesses the fish.

stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

More
13 Apr 2012 21:13 #9 by Comfortably.Numb (Patrick Roche)

Hows things lads

at the min the Moderators are looking into getting the photo competitions back up and going and also other actives going on the forum

i am just putting this out there to see way yas have in mind at the end off the day it is yourself that is going to be lookin to do the competitions so that is why im looking to here wat ideas you have as in wat we could do

actives wise???????

photo competitions we where thinking something like

best full planted tank shot, full marine shot,species groups,invertebrates ect ect

the more ideas we get the more we can change it up each month

so the more ideas the better and that way we can keep a list off wat the ideas and look back on it

also just thinkin we could even do a poll each month before the competitions starts as to see wat type yas want that month there is so much we can do on the forum to keep it active and thats what we all want

so get thinkin lads and let us know

thanks a mill

Sean

Nice to see ideas being asked for, Sean,
I remember some years back Valerie organised a quiz which was quite popularly received - she might well now be too busy to organise another, but if she has the original questions, perhaps - if you asked her nicely enough - she might be able to 'find them' and re-publish the quiz. I note there are now many new members who wouldn't have seen it and so wouldn't have previously entered.

Another potential competition was, I think, mooted some time back and this was an 'add a caption' one.
A picture would be posted with a 'speech bubble' added - then the wittiest suggestion would be adjudged the winner (I guess you might know the sort of thing being suggested here).

The 'article-writing competitions' were always well received with quite a lot of entries - this can serve a couple of uses, incidentally, since after the competition is over the completed articles can be used to swell the 'articles' section.

To my mind, the most difficult thing about competitions would be trying to persuade potential donors to offer prizes in these less-than-perfect trading conditions.

Just a couple of thoughts.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Apr 2012 21:18 #10 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Looking For Ideas
Good thoughts John, Sean has been busy and it'd be great to see this progressing.

Kev.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Apr 2012 21:19 #11 by stretnik (stretnik)

And the WINNER is !!!!!

Nice one Mark, fiver in the Post!

Kev.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Apr 2012 21:23 - 13 Apr 2012 21:38 #12 by stretnik (stretnik)
How about a prize for a polled best post excluding the participation of Admin and Mods?

Tank of the Year
Picture of the Year
Animal Picture of the Year
Member of the Year
Most creative/useful DIY of the month

(Slight Plagerism here)

Kev.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2012 21:38 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
13 Apr 2012 21:45 #13 by davey_c (dave clarke)
how about the odd fishing competition :laugh:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
13 Apr 2012 21:48 #14 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Ye might have moved up the ranks kev but ye guys are still members of the site.I would be good if all new competitions had the inclusion of all site members (even the dreaded MODS) :evil:

Stuart.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Apr 2012 21:55 #15 by stretnik (stretnik)
Aw thanks, I feel all warm and loved :p

Kev.

More
14 Apr 2012 03:36 #16 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
ditto stuart lol we feel all warm and fuzzy now :), ok hows this if a mod/admin is entering a comp they cannot be included in the judging / finalising of results of said comp.

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
14 Apr 2012 14:16 #17 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Ok first things first, man up a bit lads !!! :laugh:

And it wouldn't be too difficult to assign the running of a particular comp to a particular mod/admin. That way when ye rotate which the comps the mods will be rotated too.

Cheers Stuart.

More
14 Apr 2012 21:39 #18 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

Ok first things first, man up a bit lads !!! :laugh:

And it wouldn't be too difficult to assign the running of a particular comp to a particular mod/admin. That way when ye rotate which the comps the mods will be rotated too.

Cheers Stuart.

Stuart this is being looked into and we will be doing it the best way we can

thanks for all the ideas lads we are planning on puttin something on for May but as off yet we are not to see there are so many ideas that have being posted up

mads could yas think off wat the best off all u would like to see for mays and post it in the admin section and we can get workin on wat way we will go about it and have it ready and all that

also as for prixe we are after gettin a lot off great support from our sponsors and prices are going to be great

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
18 Apr 2012 05:50 #19 by steothegreat (stephen flanagan)
looking forward to the competitions good luck with all of it

More
18 Apr 2012 09:04 #20 by SouthAfricanInIreland (Ryan Dokter)
Well i think the judging should be performed by equal numbers of MODS and us lower life forms :P
eg: 2 MODS and 2 Normal members or just to keep the judging fair and unbias :whistle:

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds