Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

quiz + answers

More
16 Apr 2012 01:11 - 22 Apr 2012 22:57 #1 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Here's a little quiz just to get those brain cells tingling.
no prizes (it would be to easy to cheat) its just for fun.
I will post the answers in about a weeks time.

1. What is the largest known cichlid?
Boulengerochromis microlepis from Lake Tanganyika.
The males reach 36" and females 30". They breed only once and waste away from not feeding whle protecting the young.

2. Where dose the plant commonly known as HC come from?
Cuba (Hemianthus Callitrichoides 'Cuba') HC Cuba.

3. What is the unusuall breeding behavior of the fish commonly known as rice fish?
The female carries the eggs outside the body.

4. Where dose Synodontis granulosa come from?
Lake Tanganyika, Africa.

5. What type of fish is the only known hermaphrodite vertebrate that is capable of self-fertilization, can live out of water for a couple of months at a time and lives in both fresh and saline water?
The mangrove killifish (Kryptolebias marmoratus).Check these out.
phys.org/news/2010-11-fish-species-alive-special-skin.html

6. If you had a ph value of 6 and made it 100 times more alkaline, what ph would you have?
ph8. The ph scale is logarithmic meaning a ph of 7 is 10 times more alkaline than a ph of 6 and a ph of 8 is 100 times more alkaline than 6.

7. ---thyophthirius multifiliis is better known as what? I have removed the first 3 letters.
Ichthyophthirius multifiliis or ich (white spot)

8. How do Gobys cling to verticle surfaces?
A- they have a sucker mouth.
B- they use there teeth to hold on.
C- there pectoral fins are fused together to form a suction cup.
C. The fins are fused together.

9. Name the fish in the photo?

Sawbwa resplendens or Asian rummynose.
Not to be mistaken for the south American rummy nose tetra,especilly there care.
Coming from Lake Inle Burma (myanmar)they should be kept in moderitly hard water and the temprature between 18-24c.

10. Are octopus the only invertebrate to use ink as a smoke screen to escape?
No. Cuttle fish also do this.

As i said this is just for fun.

Darren.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2012 22:57 by platty252 (Darren Dalton).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2012 22:55 #2 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Replied by platty252 (Darren Dalton) on topic Re: quiz
Well i hope that got the thinking caps on.

Did anyone get them all right? Without googling.

More
22 Apr 2012 23:23 #3 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Replied by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie) on topic Re: quiz
i knew most but the ricefish fact, killifish question and asian rummynose i wouldnt have got, heck i thought that asian rummynose looked more like a photoshopped bala than a rummynose

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
22 Apr 2012 23:34 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Cough. Cough. and I used to keep the fish in the first question (when I was into Tanganykans).....but don't anyone ask why on earth would anyone want them in a tank !!

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
23 Apr 2012 09:31 #5 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien)
Thanks for that Darren. I didn't see your post when it went up first, but tried to answer them before reading yours- still came up with a miserable fail, but was a lot of fun.
Thanks again,
LoB

More
23 Apr 2012 10:13 #6 by Comfortably.Numb (Patrick Roche)
At least I knew the fish in the picture!

Could we please have some more elementary questions, please?

CN

More
23 Apr 2012 10:24 #7 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Cheers Darren some bloody hard ones there :blush: when's the next round?

Mark

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds