Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

suggestion of the august competition

More
24 Jul 2012 19:52 #1 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
how about an article writing competition, your own work on experiences in keeping and breeding fish eg your setup description, parameters, feeding and cleaning regime, what foods to condition the fish, spawning behaviour, parenting and raising fry and have some photos included... these could be sent by email an posted without the authors name for judging, and all articles then posted in our aticles section for future reference... think it would be a good comp and worth much more to the forum..

WHAT DO YE THINK????
Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2012 21:26 #2 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Hi Seamus,

excellent idea :) was thinking the same thing myself some time ago. The only problem i can see with it is objective judging of the atricles. Could be a good one to get the sponsor offering the prize to judge, just a thought.

Cheers,

Bill.

More
25 Jul 2012 01:21 #3 by john gannon (John Gannon)
Shea that is a great idea I know the forum had an article comp before and it wasa great success .
At the Itfs committee meeting last night it was suggested that we might be ableto sponsor a photo comp from the show where photos can be of anything at this years show with the winner getting a €50 voucher for whichever sponsors shop that they choose.the photos don't have to be fish but could be of anything
What do you's think
John

IRISH TROPICAL FISH SOCIETY CLUB MEMBER

More
25 Jul 2012 02:15 - 25 Jul 2012 02:15 #4 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)

The only problem i can see with it is objective judging of the atricles. Could be a good one to get the sponsor offering the prize to judge, just a thought.

Cheers,

Bill.

well Bill my idea is they submit them to us like they would a photo competition, we then allot a section for forum members to read and review them with no author name / forum name attached and then they pm in their votes, therefore no-one knows who's entry they are reading except mods/admins and they vote on the article they find best, when finished the comp all articles will be moved to our articles section for future reference for forum members

@ john gannon, thanks for the support and yes a comp for pics at the fish show would also be a great idea, open format to what pics they take.... hmmm risky we wouldnt want people to think they are being stalked and only the pretty people and fish where snapped lol ;) :)

Last edit: 25 Jul 2012 02:15 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie). Reason: error

More
25 Jul 2012 16:58 #5 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Great idea.

As with any similar competition (photo, dancing, cake-making), there is always a subjective opinion as to what is good and what is not.

Give it a go.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
03 Aug 2012 21:59 #6 by JohnH (John)

how about an article writing competition, your own work on experiences in keeping and breeding fish eg your setup description, parameters, feeding and cleaning regime, what foods to condition the fish, spawning behaviour, parenting and raising fry and have some photos included... these could be sent by email an posted without the authors name for judging, and all articles then posted in our aticles section for future reference... think it would be a good comp and worth much more to the forum..

WHAT DO YE THINK????
Seamus

I think, on reflection Seamus that this could be a very good suggestion - but we found before that the timescale really needed to spread over a longer time, one month was too short a time for us to get our words of wisdom written down and sent in.

But...and I'm as much at fault as anyone here...there shouldn't have to be a prize at the end of it - anyone is welcome to submit an article for the Forum at any time. I was very impressed with your one from last year so everyone - get typing (but not 'copy and pasting' we want original stuff, not other people's articles rejigged) and they can be used to swell the 'articles' section, which has become sadly dormant since Colin unfortunately left us.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
04 Aug 2012 08:16 #7 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Hi guys, John might be right one this maybe 1 month isn't a long enough time for an article to be properly researched and wrote down.

I suggest that you make the article writing comp. for September or October.People can start writing now in preparation for the up coming comp.In the mean time we can have our photo competition(or whatever is suggested).

Cheers Stuart

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

More
04 Aug 2012 09:42 #8 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
thanks for your input guys, ok maybe a two month timeframe would be better, will talk to the other mods about this, but it as john etc has said must be peoples Own work and not a cut and paste job... Then when all is done they will be posted for all members to vote on, and when the comp is finished they can all be added to our articles section for review at anytime

More
04 Aug 2012 12:47 #9 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Should there be rough guidelines for how long the article should be? or is it just a free for all?

Cheers Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

More
04 Aug 2012 15:30 #10 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
we'll work the finer detail out if we decide to run this one stuart, but i would presume the more concise the better.

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds