Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

July Photo Comp

More
04 Jul 2013 16:35 #1 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Come on everyone lets show some interest in the photo competition and send in some entries.They dont need to be professional quality just take some snaps and send one to the link on the thread, it only takes a min.(i took my one with my phone).

Lurkers on the forum sign up and send in photo's, new people to the forum send in photo's, veterans on the forum...... ye should know better.

COME ON PEOPLE.............................end of rant.

Stuart.

Ps. Just a quick mention about the photo competition, send in more entries.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2013 18:16 #2 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
I'm not sure why but I feel a sudden urge to spend the evening sitting at my tanks with the camera out.

Great rant

More
04 Jul 2013 20:30 #3 by wolfie (Anthony)
Replied by wolfie (Anthony) on topic July Photo Comp
haha gimme a chance my fish are camera shy ,kinda like the old kitkat panda ad everytime i put the camera down they do something cool so im working on it

More
04 Jul 2013 20:37 #4 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney)
Any chance you can tell me how to GET a photo of my fish?!? I can't even get a video!

More
04 Jul 2013 21:27 #5 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
I turn off the lights in the room but leave on the aquarium lights on.I sit near the tank and when they are least expecting it.............BAM, take that fishes.

And there you have it fishey Photography 101.

Stuart.

More
04 Jul 2013 21:36 #6 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

I turn off the lights in the room but leave on the aquarium lights on.I sit near the tank and when they are least expecting it.............BAM, take that fishes.

you're still talking about photography, right? :hammer:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
04 Jul 2013 22:44 #7 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Rofl, yeeeees photography ;)

More
04 Jul 2013 22:47 - 04 Jul 2013 22:49 #8 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney)

There's always one!

I have tried that but she darts away so that EVERY shot I've tried to get so far is way out of focus!
Last edit: 04 Jul 2013 22:49 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney). Reason: auto correct is a .......

More
04 Jul 2013 22:50 #9 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Try taking pictures at feeding time.

Stuart.

More
04 Jul 2013 23:04 - 04 Jul 2013 23:20 #10 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic July Photo Comp
I just wanted to hijack this thread temporarily to post this notification:

Some fantastic news!!! CiaranM, our most recent Forum Sponsor in the form of TropShop, has seen our plight in that we had no prize for the July Competition round and has very generously stepped up to the line and has donated a €50 voucher to the winning entry!

Thanks so much Ciaran, you're a star!

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 04 Jul 2013 23:20 by JohnH (John). Reason: Added Shop name

More
04 Jul 2013 23:28 #11 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney)

Try taking pictures at feeding time.

Stuart.

Interesting- will try that. Thanks.

More
04 Jul 2013 23:32 #12 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
Replied by Stem12 (Stephen M) on topic July Photo Comp
photo on the way..using iphone 4 don't expect anything 'good'.. just saying..

Stephen M.

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
04 Jul 2013 23:43 #13 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Unfortunately I'm not keeping fish at the moment so won't get to participate.... unless.. I can submit a photo of a trout I hook that I want to keep :P

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
04 Jul 2013 23:55 #14 by JohnH (John)
I once entered a picture of a 6lb trout from Derg - as ever, I didn't get one vote!!!

You could always pop down the road to Ian's a take a few snaps there (I once also submitted a pic of his Koi with similar result - I don't think I'm destined to ever get any votes!).

John

ITFS member.

More
05 Jul 2013 07:32 #15 by Melander (Andreas Melander)

Brilliant, I almost choked on my tea laughing, thanks lads.

Andreas

More
05 Jul 2013 08:20 #16 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
2 nights in a row sitting with the camera at the ready its a pain as my light went on Sunday so until i get a new one im out

More
05 Jul 2013 08:34 #17 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Trying to get a particular fish in a particular place and at the correct angle is a pain in the arse

Why can't the buggers follow flipping instructions

I recon they are just trying to piss me off

More
05 Jul 2013 10:57 - 05 Jul 2013 11:02 #18 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
They will wait until a fraction of a second before you hit the button then off they go. :crazy: Drives me mad some times, all i can think is thank god we have digital cameras now, imagine what it was like in the old days when you couldn't view your pic's and had to pay to develop them. Must have been a nightmare.

Stuart.

Come on guys no excuses ,I took this pic with the camera on my laptop. My Hillstream loach and cory , best of friends.(thats if the picture actually loads up lol) :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Last edit: 05 Jul 2013 11:02 by wylam (Stuart Sexton). Reason: picture didnt load, or did it??

More
05 Jul 2013 12:32 #19 by davey_c (dave clarke)
To get a pic previously myself I had to turn off room lights and use the zoom function. The camera was on the tripod in the middle of the floor and zoomed right in on the tank.... that was the only way without spooking the fish (camera wasn't great all the same) but if I was too close to the tank they thought they were getting fed and there would be a frenzy.... use to take a while all the same :silly:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
05 Jul 2013 12:59 #20 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
i had the same set up with a remote button id sit there looking out of the corner of my eye and click when i thought there was a good picture opportunity, didnt get anywhere with it then earlier i got a good one with my phone ha

More
05 Jul 2013 15:26 #21 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
A big thank you to Homer who has offered to donate a prize for the photo comp, nice on thats the stuff.

So come on everyone and get a photo posted in , we want john rushed off his feet sorting through the entries.

Stuart.

More
05 Jul 2013 20:46 #22 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)

A big thank you to Homer who has offered to donate a prize for the photo comp, nice on thats the stuff.

So come on everyone and get a photo posted in , we want john rushed off his feet sorting through the entries.

Stuart.

surely that should read ciaranm not homer or did i miss something???

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
05 Jul 2013 20:52 #23 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic July Photo Comp
No problems, surely we have stuff, new, that is sitting in a Cabinet or Wardrobe we could donate over the months to keep things going.

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
05 Jul 2013 22:10 #24 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)

No problems, surely we have stuff, new, that is sitting in a Cabinet or Wardrobe we could donate over the months to keep things going.

H.

Great idea homer. We always have stuff going that we havent used or is perfect and not being used currently....

More
06 Jul 2013 01:32 #25 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
good idea homer

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
06 Jul 2013 14:17 #26 by JohnH (John)

H.

While we certainly would welcome all donations for Competition Prizes, I am mindful of the fact that we (the ITFS) have our Charity Auction in September and will be looking for everyone to be bringing stuff to that too.

So, please, temper your generosity for Forum Prizes to a degree, remembering we'll be looking for Auction Lots in due course as well.

John

ITFS member.

More
06 Jul 2013 14:33 #27 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Veering right off the topic but...John is the IFTS based in Dublin? I always wanted to join but with most if not all events being held in Dublin I'd hardly ever get a chance to go.It would be a waste of a membership fee. :( Is there any events down near the real capital? :whistle:

Stuart.

More
06 Jul 2013 15:47 #28 by davey_c (dave clarke)
There is a munster club, think its called mfka ;)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
06 Jul 2013 16:51 #29 by JohnH (John)

There is a munster club, think its called mfka ;)

That's right Davey, they have a website too, I believe.

John

ITFS member.

More
07 Jul 2013 21:11 - 07 Jul 2013 21:21 #30 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Yeah i looked for it before, they don't have their own website they are in with the leinster fish keeping Association.I was on that forum for awhile and didn't find it very interactive or social or friendly.

Stuart.

Last edit: 07 Jul 2013 21:21 by wylam (Stuart Sexton).

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds