Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Sugestion for Future Photo comps

More
02 Aug 2013 08:38 #1 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Hi guys,

First of all I'd like to say how fantastic it is to see so many entrants into this months competition.I just want to make a quick suggestion about the comp and see what everyone thinks.

I think leaving an entire month for people to enter is too long, At the start of the month people will see the comp on the recently posted threads and think "oh yeah i must get around to sending in a pic". But as the month goes on these things get put on the long finger and/or forgotten about.

My suggestion would be to advertise the comp on the home page in the first week of the month , take entries for the next ten days and announce a winner a few days later . This way people will have plenty of time to get pictures ready, ie. a whole week before entry , But a shorter more defined time to enter . The winner will then be announced 3-4 days later in and around 22nd/23rd of the month. The winning picture to be then put on the home page until the start of the next month, at which time it will be replaced with the Ad for the next comp. I think a more active and structured approach to the competition, will hopefully bring more entries and a bit more buzz about the competitions.

Just a thought , opinions please.

Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2013 14:54 #2 by JohnH (John)
Food for thought Stuart, fresh (constructive) ideas always welcomed.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
03 Aug 2013 10:28 #3 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
I think Stuart's idea is a good one

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
03 Aug 2013 10:33 #4 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
In the news section there is five things pinned
could you do the same for the photo comp in the recent topic section so its always the top post ?

Something fishie going on here

More
04 Aug 2013 00:21 #5 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
You might get more people to send in there photos if there were two classes one for the experience and one for the novice. I am not great at wording these things but from what i can see most winning photos are from a top quality camera and not a phone. if a photo is taken from a phone the photo is not as clear and it has no chance up again a good quality camera. Hopefully someone here will understand what i am trying to say.

More
04 Aug 2013 00:40 #6 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

You might get more people to send in there photos if there were two classes one for the experience and one for the novice. I am not great at wording these things but from what i can see most winning photos are from a top quality camera and not a phone. if a photo is taken from a phone the photo is not as clear and it has no chance up again a good quality camera. Hopefully someone here will understand what i am trying to say.

I kind of know what you mean but i'm not sure a two tier system would work. how would you define someone with experience and a novice? i'm sure many good photographers consider themselves novices. by the same token, some people will hugely overestimate their talents. you could give me the best camera in the world and i'd still come up with a crap photo of my tank with my reflection visible! :hammer:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
04 Aug 2013 02:14 #7 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
If you had a good camera one click could take lots of photo's its not the same with a phone they will take a good photo but its hard work. The only way i know one from experience and one for the novice is the quality of the photo it will be perfect for the people that know how to take a photo, and for everyone else they just hope there photo is good.Its hard for me to explain but if you would like to pm me i can send you two photos as a example

More
04 Aug 2013 06:23 #8 by Homer (Kevin)
Some of the higher end phones can take amazing photos, the added bonus is the fact they are point and shoot, they have a total depth of field which results in the whole subject and it's surroundings being in focus so there are up sides to taking photos with a Camera on your phone.

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
04 Aug 2013 06:45 #9 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
There is a huge and very noticeable difference between the quality of the camera phone pics and the SLR camera's.If someone has the equipment and knowledge they will obviously get a better picture.To have the photo competition split into two sections might be counter productive and possibly reduce entries.I think the mods should be trusted to spot a good pic on a bad camera and vice/versa. The prize might be another issue , if the comp was split in two then two prizes would be needed.The best idea i can come up with to level the playing field is, any one with a good quality camera must smear vasaline on the lense before taking any picture's ;) .
That'll sort it.

Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

More
05 Aug 2013 12:31 #10 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Or you could just ask those submitting photos to state what they used to take the photo....maybe I'm being naive but I'm sure most folks that submit photos are just doing it for the fun of it and to show off their prized fish and to see others being kept by fellow forum members...I'm sure people would be honest enough....you can clearly tell the professional versus the novice and I def fit in the novice camp here...

More
05 Aug 2013 19:58 #11 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

If you had a good camera one click could take lots of photo's its not the same with a phone they will take a good photo but its hard work. The only way i know one from experience and one for the novice is the quality of the photo it will be perfect for the people that know how to take a photo, and for everyone else they just hope there photo is good.Its hard for me to explain but if you would like to pm me i can send you two photos as a example

i can see what you mean but I still think even a two tier system would be unfair. for example, if I got a decent camera, i'd be bumped into the pro category, which would be just as unfair (though not at all unfair in my opinion) as having the one tier system. my point is, you could make as many subdivisions of equipment/competence/experience as you want and someone is always going to lose out; that's just the nature of competition.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
06 Aug 2013 00:30 - 06 Aug 2013 00:32 #12 by ck1 (chris)
I think the original idea in the thread is very good and should be considered. Leaving open for the whole month is a bit long. As for a two tier system I think is a bad idea first of all the competition is only a bit of fun and also I won with a picture taken from a phone so you couldn't say people with better cameras have a big advantage. I also think it would be creating more work for the mods which maybe they could do without
Last edit: 06 Aug 2013 00:32 by ck1 (chris).

More
06 Aug 2013 06:35 #13 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
I like the first idea here.
I do also think that we need to remember making a issue of better cameras and such is a bit silly as most cameras people have today can take very good pictures as long as you use them correctly.Its proven that many phone pictures have won and also normal digital cameras.At the end of the day its a challenge to get a nice picture you are happy with this may take 100 pictures but you are sure to have 1 that sticks out ;-) At the end of the day its for fun and we are all on here for the same reason the love of the hobby of keeping fish and learning more about this great hobby and all its challenges (Me personally love a challenge that is hard to achieve , to evolve we need to push ourselves :-) everything is possible with hard work and determination)
Just my 2 cents.

More
06 Aug 2013 09:08 #14 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Great to see your taught on the subject,I am just thinking of the people that would class themselves in the novice group
and give them a chance,it might encourage more with phones to take a photo and send it in no matter if there is a top quality photo all ready entered.
I also think the comp should be pinned so its always the first topic on the new posts section.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds