Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Future Competitions.

More
03 Oct 2013 16:14 #1 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Hi guys,

For some reason people don't seem to have any interest in the photo competition. For me the photo comp is not about the picture you submit ,the prize or who will win, it's more about seeing some great pictures of some great fish. Competitions like this add a different dimension and go along way to helping with the social aspect of the forum. So in an effort to figure out why there is such a lack of interest i have opened this thread. When the question was asked a few months back on whether to keep the competition running or not there were quite a lot of people who wanted it , but now that has fizzled out yet again.

So has anyone got any idea's on how the competitions can be made more interesting and give us some more activity in this area of the forum.

A change in voting perhaps?
A change in subject?
A complete change in the competitions?

Maybe a rotation of different competition formats will keep it fresh?

Pictures one month.
tank builds next month.
Best planted tank setup.
Best diy job.
Best toutorial on a subject.

There are many things we could consider other than just having a photo comp , if the monotony of having a picture competition is why there is such a poor turn out, then why not post here if ye guys have any good idea's to make things more interesting and we can see if the admin are willing to try some of them out.

Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2013 16:56 #2 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Having some non photo comps sounds good, it would give an oppertunity for members not so good with the camera( me and Mr John)

A best hardware review could be good as a comp and to encourage reviews

More
03 Oct 2013 19:20 #3 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
First of; I agree on the non photo competitions, it would be fun. It does not have to be limited to a month; best article this year etc..

Photo comp; If the chance of winning a price has anything to do with the number of entries I think it could be an idea to limit members from winning the price to once per year (or any suitable period). If the voted winner already had won before, he/she still keeps the honor of winning but the price goes to the photo with second most votes that had not previously won the price etc..

Again if part of the motivation is to win a price it could be argued that members that have already won might drop out, but on the other hand the chances increase for everyone else so maybe there would be some new contestants instead?

In an ideal world the price would not matter at all and loads of people would enter every month even without the chance to win anything but in reality I don't think this would happen.

Andreas

More
03 Oct 2013 20:49 #4 by davey_c (dave clarke)

Hi guys,

For some reason people don't seem to have any interest in the photo competition. For me the photo comp is not about the picture you submit ,the prize or who will win, it's more about seeing some great pictures of some great fish. Competitions like this add a different dimension and go along way to helping with the social aspect of the forum. So in an effort to figure out why there is such a lack of interest i have opened this thread.

Just such a pity everyone doesn't see it like that stuart but there's always gonna be a few... personally I don't think categorising it or limiting previous winners will improve the amount of entrants enough to make it worth the effort.... honestly I don't think thats the problem for alot of us.
I know your trying to improve it and say fair play for your persistence B)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
03 Oct 2013 21:06 #5 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
I think it just needs to be a simple post your own picture in the thread, then at the end of it put a poll up, why does it matter if people know who's picture is who's? the whole emailing end of it is way to much work for the person looking after it

Just my 2 cents as I have done many of these before on other forums

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds