Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

August Round.

More
01 Sep 2017 08:16 #1 by JohnH (John)
August Round. was created by JohnH (John)
I feel the August round proved to be something of a non event, only TWO members having taken the time and trouble to enter.

I fear time has come to call a halt to these rounds as it appears quite clear that - other than the small nucleus of members who wanted this feature to continue - there is no intention of participation from the wider membership and while I was quite happy to put in the (albeit small) effort (and time) to keep them going the poor response makes it pretty plain that no-one (bar two) wants these to continue.

So, that - as they say - is that.

John.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2017 09:42 #2 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)

I feel the August round proved to be something of a non event, only TWO members having taken the time and trouble to enter.

I fear time has come to call a halt to these rounds as it appears quite clear that - other than the small nucleus of members who wanted this feature to continue - there is no intention of participation from the wider membership and while I was quite happy to put in the (albeit small) effort (and time) to keep them going the poor response makes it pretty plain that no-one (bar two) wants these to continue.

So, that - as they say - is that.

John.

John I have my photos to enter just never got around to sending them been on the night shift so been oblivious to the outside world bar work and sleep hahahahah

Can I send them to you now or is it to late

at the end of the day it becomes nite

More
01 Sep 2017 23:36 #3 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic August Round.
I shouldn't bother Craig.
Save them for a 'one off' Christmas And New Year Round we're planning on holding.

John

ITFS member.

More
02 Sep 2017 09:02 #4 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
Replied by Bill (Bill Hunter) on topic August Round.
Totally agree with you, John.
I hope I don't read anyone's post, particularly when greeting new members, demanding to see photos of their tanks/fish.
Considering Craig usually enters, we can forgive him for being side-tracked by that annoying and frustrating thing called work :)
I think most people get caught up on the Facebook part of the internet. Remember in the 50s and 60s when supermarkets started appearing? The best thing since sliced bread :) but we were warned that it would be the end of the high street and corner shops. We didn't listen, it happened. I see Facebook as the internet equivalent of the supermarket, everything under one roof. A pity that it's a cold and creepy place full of bad advice and where everyone thinks s/he's the expert. Shelves and shelves of processed information that's full of additives and often not of any use.
Bill

More
03 Sep 2017 11:56 #5 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic August Round.
I like the facebook analogy Bill - seems most appropriate but, like supermarkets, I think it's here to stay.

Fora, in my opinion, have a much better chance for long-term life though. How easy is it to check on a post from - say - five years ago with a facebook group? - Most Fora posts remain right back to day one and are easily accessible too.

John

ITFS member.

More
03 Sep 2017 21:49 #6 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
Sorry about not entering last, I got really busy with the pond and garden, then getting ready for school

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds